Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times

Advertisements

nyc
chicago
dc/va
hou

yep...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 12:11 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Ya got that right!

I'm not sure if all the figures you have here are 100% accurate though b/c I know Virginia Beach's metro (aka Hampton Roads) has more than 22,000. VA Beach by itself has about that many (I know this b/c my girl is one of them ). I always understood VA to rank 4th after LA, the Bay, and then NJ, but that may have been looking at the entire states of VA and NJ rather than metros, and combining DC's metro with all of VA. I read that years ago. But either way, I'm pretty sure Hampton Roads has at least over 32,000 - I had originally heard 40,000+ but I'm getting the 32K from this page:

Filipino American Demographics - Hampton Roads

The rest all sounded about right to me, but I'm curious how accurate any of these sources actually are. I just always felt like the Bay was the capitol for Filipinos in the US w/ Sac and Stockton backing it up, even though everyone here has cousins in LA, Long Beach and SD lol.

Most of the Filipino R&B groups that were blowing up in the 90's (that most people who aren't Filipino probably haven't heard of) were from here except for a handful. SD, LA and HI all had a few, but almost all the main ones were from here like Jocelyn Enriquez, One Voice, Kai, Innerlude, Pinay, Drop n' Harm, Buffy, etc. Pretty much anyone who was known outside of CA was from up here besides Epic Voices (HI), Devotion (LA) and Simple (SD). Can't remember any other really known groups from anywhere else. Same with the Filipino DJ's like Q-Bert & Shortkut and the rest of the ISP. There were a ton of sick Filipino DJ's from LA like Beat Junkies, and I think a good amount from SD too, but I can't think of any that were really that well known outside of CA.
I actually copied and pasted all that info from an old thread made by 18Montclair that listed all the ancestry groups in US cities. I'll go back and see if I can find the original source...

Also, I definitely know about all the Filipino DJ's around here, and some Filipino rappers too. Can't say I was ever into Filipino R&B though haha (Or any R&B really)

Old 09-22-2009, 12:29 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
There are actually quite a few in the Seattle area. Lumpia FTW....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City