Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,505,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
LA is not even close to those other city's density from the air. If you would have picked a day shot of LA you'd see it is mostly houses very unlike those other cities.
Yeah, I kinda agree with you - that's why I implied LA as a maybe. MC has 19M people, LA 14M, maybe LA is comparable. Just the vastness of the area is pretty spectacular - a lot of people think so. You see those backdrops from the Hollywood Hills in cinema all the time. And I personally think it is more spectacular at night than during the day. You're right, turn on the lights and suddenly it's kinda eh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:22 PM

116 posts, read 246,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Yeah, I kinda agree with you - that's why I implied LA as a maybe. MC has 19M people, LA 14M, maybe LA is comparable. Just the vastness of the area is pretty spectacular - a lot of people think so. You see those backdrops from the Hollywood Hills in cinema all the time. And I personally think it is more spectacular at night than during the day. You're right, turn on the lights and suddenly it's kinda eh.
A lot of areas are very vast and impressive looking at night from the air. I'd wager that your own DFW gives LA a serious run for its money as far as "street lights as far as the eye can see" type stuff.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,627,590 times
What amazed me in the video was that the streets were relatively car-free. Not my experience there at all. It is choking in traffic. The video didn't show the clogged streets. It must have been shot very early in the morning.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:24 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,776,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I can name a couple that can possibly come close.

Ugggg. Not even going there. Why would you even think of bringing this mess of a city in here? You live there once?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM

2,746 posts, read 6,125,764 times
Hah Hah, ok... What a weird reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Ugggg. Not even going there. Why would you even think of bringing this mess of a city in here? You live there once?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
A lot of areas are very vast and impressive looking at night from the air. I'd wager that your own DFW gives LA a serious run for its money as far as "street lights as far as the eye can see" type stuff.
I dunno YY. I'm not sure you're giving La its due. LA is pretty famed for it's endless sprawl. Sometime soon I'll get up on Reunion Tower with my camera and we'll see if you're right. I doubt DFW can match LA. Even CHI seemed kinda limited to me in that category.

Anyways, I actually am not that impressed by suburban sprawl as I sense you are not. It is kinda cool in it's own way, but once you're down on the ground it's pretty dame plain! I like my cities to have character - rather a bit of a lost art in America these days.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 PM

804 posts, read 2,406,370 times
Quote:
LA is not even close to those other city's density from the air. If you would have picked a day shot of LA you'd see it is mostly houses very unlike those other cities.
LA is dense in a lot of areas here's one.

YouTube - LA Live Tower View 2.MOV

Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I dunno YY. I'm not sure you're giving La its due. LA is pretty famed for it's endless sprawl. Sometime soon I'll get up on Reunion Tower with my camera and we'll see if you're right. I doubt DFW can match LA. Even CHI seemed kinda limited to me in that category.

Anyways, I actually am not that impressed by suburban sprawl as I sense you are not. It is kinda cool in it's own way, but once you're down on the ground it's pretty dame plain! I like my cities to have character - rather a bit of a lost art in America these days.
You only say that cause you never been to Los Angeles. LA is anything but bland from street view. Here's is one in one way it is not.

Hollywood

YouTube - Hollywood Blvd,Los Angeles

Old 09-23-2009, 08:32 PM

Need more evidence that LA isn't just endless sprawl than look here.

YouTube - Los Angeles Panorama recorded from hilltops on 3/16-17/08

people really don't give Mexico City credit for being a world class city when it is a million times over. You just have to go there. Hopefully later I'll high light the beauty that MC has.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
You only say that cause you never been to Los Angeles. LA is anything but bland from street view. Here's is one in one way it is not.

Hollywood

YouTube - Hollywood Blvd,Los Angeles
Well actually what I said was sprawl is bland, not LA is bland. You've guessed right though, I've never been to LA. I'm not someone who's prejudice against LA, but it amazes me that with the whole film industry right there none of them have ever conveyed to me what LA really looks like as well as that single video you just posted. So thanks for that, I really enjoyed my trip down HW Blvd. Very cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City