Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:47 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

It totally depends on the your perspective. I find NY more real than Florida, which to me, is one big Fantasyland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 05:00 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I know this is a dumb answer but I think the real America is everything America has to offer.

Big Dense Cities like NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc.

The wide open country (flat and rolling hills) in the middle of the US

The beautiful tropical areas of Florida and Hawaii

The areas in and around the Rocky & Appalachian Mountains

The beauty (and cold lol) of Alaska

The US is filled with places like Niagara Falls, The Grand Canyon, etc.

I could go on and on, every single place in the US is beautiful.

But on to your question lol it sounds like you're describing the South, the South is a great place to live.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I know this is a dumb answer but I think the real America is everything America has to offer.

Big Dense Cities like NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc.

The wide open country (flat and rolling hills) in the middle of the US

The beautiful tropical areas of Florida and Hawaii

The areas in and around the Rocky & Appalachian Mountains

The beauty (and cold lol) of Alaska

The US is filled with places like Niagara Falls, The Grand Canyon, etc.

I could go on and on, every single place in the US is beautiful.

But on to your question lol it sounds like you're describing the South, the South is a great place to live.
Real America is every single US citzen in this country living their lives to the best of their abillity to make this country a better place.

You cannot single out one single region because we are the UNITED States of America. Each region is just a matter of personal preference for a particular indvidual. You cannot say that one region is better than another. That is the only part of your post I disagree wtih.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:20 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You cannot say that one region is better than another.
Yet you do all the time....

Old 09-25-2009, 05:27 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I think the original poster, perhaps unintentionally, raised hackles but I think there's a different way to read what he said.

Going over the parts before s/he says "real America"

"Hollywood's view of the US seems fake as it only really seems to promote this view of california and it just doesn't seem like it gives a fair enough view or scope on what the US is really all about and what it's really like."

I think what might be meant is that the media-image the world gets of the US tends to be focused on a few places and not most of America. And that's true. Yes the the West Coast, NYC, and Boston are "Real America", but they're not all there is to "Real America."

So perhaps what s/he wants is more "unseen America" or "underreported America." The parts of America that don't have a night-time talk show, news network, or top-rated program based in them. That foreigners may not see on their "telly" when watching American TV.

It's possible they even mean the demographic groups that American TV and pop-culture ignores. I'm sure California and New York City have many 55-year-old menial laborers who have spouses and grandchildren. Where are they in American television? Film?

Old 09-25-2009, 05:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Real America is every single US citzen in this country living their lives to the best of their abillity to make this country a better place.

You cannot single out one single region because we are the UNITED States of America. Each region is just a matter of personal preference for a particular indvidual. You cannot say that one region is better than another. That is the only part of your post I disagree wtih.
I agree with you, that is exactly how I see it, I wasn't saying the South is the best place to live in the US because that depends on someone's opinion, I was just saying that the OP described the South but I think everywhere in the US fits the bill to a certain degree.

They said relaxing during the long-hot Summers and the South, the Southwest, the Mid-Atlantic and the Lower Midwest popped into my mind first but the South stood out the most.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 PM

Default I say it is not for ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yet you do all the time....
ALL the time. You want to live in the South, be my guest. Just get ME out of here.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
"Real America" ?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Wasn't this phrase coined during an election and referred to "real" America as Red/Republican states???

Old 09-26-2009, 07:50 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Wasn't this phrase coined during an election and referred to "real" America as Red/Republican states???
Yes, Sarah Palin gave us that gem. One of the enduring memories of this past election (and I realize I'm going into contentious territory for the main board, but it is related to the subject), was the reaction that I heard from the Chicagoans who were in Grant Park the night of the election (I was there). When McCain gave his very gracious speech conceding the election, people applauded, and it was clear that he was respected. I applauded too, sincerely. When Palin appeared on the screen to give her speech, I heard many shouts of "this is Real America too, right here", you can tell that comment struck a nerve with a lot of people, and not in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City