Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,747,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Infamous has brought up a good point, although hopefully when someone says the words "New York" and "pizza" in the same sentence, they're not referring to that nasty franchise stuff. If there was justice in the world, franchise pizzerias would be banned from New York. And Chicago, for that matter. If you live in either city and go to Domino's (or Papa John's, or any such place) for your pizza, then you get what you deserve.

That is no lie. I'm always amazed that chains like Papa Johns and Pizza Hut can make a go around Chicago. Must be the people that move here keeping them going. In my neighborhood we have an excellent Italian deli that makes delicious sandwiches and kitty corner a franchise chain sub joint is doing good business. I mean what kind of a rube goes to Jimmy Johns when Panozzo's is across the street? But in my neighborhood native "old neighborhood" Chicago people are a minority (though not at all rare); lots of people with man-purses and careful beards talking on cell phones and carrying a bottle of water. And going to Jimmy Johns and Pizza Hut I guess.

Now when I lived in Lexington Ky for three years (don't ask) Jimmy Johns WAS the best sandwich in town. And Waffle House the best restaurant. But that's another story.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 09-25-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:23 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,488 times
^ IMO Jimmy Johns is one of the better sandwhich places in Chicago....even though it is a chain (I think mostly in the Midwest), they use quality ingredients. I recently moved to DC and would kill to have a place as good as Jimmy Johns!

Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,747,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
^ IMO Jimmy Johns is one of the better sandwhich places in Chicago....even though it is a chain (I think mostly in the Midwest), they use quality ingredients. I recently moved to DC and would kill to have a place as good as Jimmy Johns!

It's not that Jimmy Johns is bad, it's pretty good. But when there's an old school Italian deli in the neighborhood.......

Old 09-25-2009, 12:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
ughghghg
I have to say this in every pizza thread.

CHICAGO HAS THIN PIZZAS TOO. THIN CRUST, THICK CRUST

DEEP DISH IS NOT THE NORM.

WHEN WE ORDER PIZZZA, OURS IS FLAAAAT AS OUR CITY
it isn't the same... chicagos is either that cracker style thin crust or just a regular thin crust cut into squares. the dough is off as well as diff kinds of cheese, extra oil on it, etc.

nyc easily on pizza for me (compared to deep dish or stuffed) same with most baked goods like bagels, black and white cookies... i think nyc wins in these categories.

chicago easily on all things encased meats. (maxwell polish, chicago dog, milwaukee style brat) all better than anything i've experience in nyc.

come on chicagoans don't pick jimmy johns...ahhhh... so many better options there...even if you are downtown in the culinary deprived loop...there is at least a few cafe style places and perry's deli... http://www.perrysdeli.com/

sorry jimmy johns...you lose, the only time i'd eat that stuff is if i were traveling on the interstate or something

Last edited by grapico; 09-25-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
I tried as close to authentic NYC style pizza (ironically in Seattle) and I have to say, it was really darn good! I really turned a leaf there.

I still prefer my hometown Chicago style pizza ... but that's just me.

As for the hot dogs I can't make a comparison. I think the Chicago dog was invented in the Great Depression as a cheap way for workers and people with little money to get as round a meal as you could with a dog.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
ughghghg
I have to say this in every pizza thread.

CHICAGO HAS THIN PIZZAS TOO. THIN CRUST, THICK CRUST

DEEP DISH IS NOT THE NORM.

WHEN WE ORDER PIZZZA, OURS IS FLAAAAT AS OUR CITY
The same could be said for NYC, the closest pizzeria to me actually serves thin crust as the main pizza, I love that pizza so much I feel like walking there now lol. Most NYC pizza shops I've been to also serve the square Sicilian Pizza which is the best kind IMO, I think that qualify it as a variety of NYC pizza as well since its very widely offered around here.

That nasty, mega thin, greasy, and soggy stuff is not the norm, Its not even NYC pizza IMO.

The best NYC area pizza shop IMO is Margherita's Pizza on Jamaica Avenue, that pizza tastes is the best (all NYC area pizza shops I've been to have great pizza though), that place is so small and always packed with people having to stand outside.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:06 PM

315 posts, read 666,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

The best NYC area pizza shop IMO is Margherita's Pizza on Jamaica Avenue, that pizza tastes is the best (all NYC area pizza shops I've been to have great pizza though), that place is so small and always packed with people having to stand outside.
Au contraire... I used to live near Margherita's. The best in Queens, IMHO, (and, arguably, NYC) and my personal favorite is Gaby's Pizza on Hillside Avenue. Gaby's won best pizzeria in NYC a couple of years back.

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-25-2009 at 04:38 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 04:18 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Okay, I have to say this and I know it might rub some faithful New Yorkers the wrong way, but Chicago's hot-dogs murder NYC hot-dogs in my opinion. There's no comparison, not even Nathans are Papaya (though they are great) can compare to Chicago's hot-dogs. Sorry.

As for the Pizza, again I prefer the Chicago style pizza. However, though its a lot better in my opinion, NYC pizza IS a close 2nd for me personally.

If you tasted both hot-dogs and pizza, what do you prefer?
hmm, why does this topic sound all too familiar?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...o-hotdogs.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ago-pizza.html

seriously, this question has been beaten to death on these forums. i'd ask that the mods close this one down due to its redundancy, but i'm not holding my breath.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Okay, I have to say this and I know it might rub some faithful New Yorkers the wrong way, but Chicago's hot-dogs murder NYC hot-dogs in my opinion. There's no comparison, not even Nathans are Papaya (though they are great) can compare to Chicago's hot-dogs. Sorry.

As for the Pizza, again I prefer the Chicago style pizza. However, though its a lot better in my opinion, NYC pizza IS a close 2nd for me personally.

If you tasted both hot-dogs and pizza, what do you prefer?
For pizza I have to say New York suits my taste more...I am not sure about the hot dogs though.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Nathan's Famous was born in Coney Island (1914), and the original eatery is still in business there. Between their hot-dogs and fries, Chicago's going to get a run for their money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City