Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best New Cultural District
Charlotte Wells Fargo Cultural Campus 19 42.22%
Dallas AT&T Performing Arts Center 26 57.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:11 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
What Cutural center does St. Louis have the arch. I have visted St. Lous and defintely was not impressed.
Forest Park has lots of nice museums, and there are great cultural pursuits in the city. There is also a great science center as well.

Nothing that I'd make a trip for like I would for the Arch, but there are attractions there.

These are both great for Dallas and Charlotte (I voted for Dallas BTW). A city of Charlotte's size already attempting to embark on such projects is nothing short of impressive.

I wish Dallas had did a lot more of this years ago (but to their credit, the Arts District was established way back in 1978). They always seemed like they were playing catch up with Houston and Ft. Worth. But better late than never in this case.

Isn't the Deck Park going to be by the Arts District?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,489 times
As stated in my previous post. Grand Center in midtown St Louis houses the Fox Theater, Powell Symphony Hall, Contemporary Art Museum, Sheldon Concert Hall, Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, 150 art galleries, etc...

Grand Center | The Intersection of Art and Life | Saint Louis Missouri

Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
As stated in my previous post. Grand Center in midtown St Louis houses the Fox Theater, Powell Symphony Hall, Contemporary Art Museum, Sheldon Concert Hall, Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, 150 art galleries, etc...

Grand Center | The Intersection of Art and Life | Saint Louis Missouri
Take it to a St. Louis thread...this is a thread about Charlotte and Dallas! Don't you get it?

Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,489 times
Direct that comment to Carolina Blue

Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
In honor of the big Monday Night Football match-up between the Cowboys and Panthers, I thought it would be fun to discuss the two cities new cultural districts. Both are planning large scale districts that will look to reshape their communities. And both will have very unique architectural buildings. Also, ironically they both have their first venues opening this October.

So for discussion, whose will have the biggest impact on the national arts scene? Whose will have the biggest impact on their respective cities? And lastly, which has the more appealing venues?

CHARLOTTE WELLS FARGO CULTURAL CAMPUS:
More Info: http://www.third-ward.org-a.googlepa...August2009.pdf

BECHTLER MUSEUM OF MODERN ART

MINT MUSEUM OF ART

KNIGHT THEATER

HARVEY B. GANTT CENTER FOR AFRICAN AMERICAN ARTS & CULTURE

DALLAS AT&T PERFORMING ARTS CENTER:
More Info: Theater Performance Venues - AT&T Performing Arts Center

STRAUSS ARTIST SQUARE (Middle Left of pic)

WINSPEAR OPERA HOUSE

WYLY THEATER

CITY PERFORMANCE HALL
To answer the questions:
1) On a a national scene I think Dallas will by far and away have more of an impact on the national scene than Charlotte. With it being one of the largest metro areas in the nation ( I can't remember if it is the 4th, 5th , or 6th largest) it is hard for Charlotte to compete with them on this level. Charlotte is transforming from a regional to a national player. Dallas is transforming from a national to a international player. A huge difference.

2) I think the Charlotte development will have a bigger impact than the Dallas development. Looking at the Dallas area you have the cultural amenities in Fort Worth and it already had the arts district. There is also upscale shopping in Dallas and it has a huge fashion industry. While these may have little to do with the cultural districts, it shows that Dallas has some sort of high cosmo feel to it and these are extras. The cultural campus of Charlotte gives Charlotte something so it doesn't have to travel to Atlanta for its cultural campus or to Raleigh for the state operated musuems. It also gives Charlotte some pride in that it has something to offer the Carolina region besides banking.

3) I go with Charlotte as having the better venues. It has more of a variety with an Afro-American cultural center, two arts musuems, and a perfomance art theatre. From what I gather at Dallas it is mostly performance arts centers, which may be all it needs since it already had an arts district. BTW, kudos to Dallas for the Wyly theatre. It looks awesome.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Direct that comment to Carolina Blue
Why to me?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Generic as in forced. For example STL is rehabbing a long vacant opera house downtown because its needed. Its will add to the Grand Center theater district we had had for a long time. We arent just building it just to have it and claim our greatness in the arts. We are doing in organically.
I suppose we could also say that St. Louis's was also "forced" when it was built. The only difference here, then, is time.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
I am very impressed by Dallas. Especially the opera house. This is something Atlanta has being talking about for years now (a new "World Class" opera house). As for our St. Louis posters (LOL!), I think it is the typical "not another down south city trying to rise" response I have come to expect on the US General forum. Some folks seem to enjoy "clowning" the South instead of celebrating the evolution of our area. Soon, Metro Charlotte (CSA) could become yet another "down south" city to leap frog STL's CSA in the years to come. I think some folks are aware of this fact and are venting on this thread.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:32 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Why is St Louis being brought up? its a hell hole. go back in it. this is about two beautiful culturally emerging cities Dallas and Charlotte.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I am very impressed by Dallas. Especially the opera house. This is something Atlanta has being talking about for years now (a new "World Class" opera house). As for our St. Louis posters (LOL!), I think it is the typical "not another down south city trying to rise" response I have come to expect on the US General forum. Some folks seem to enjoy "clowning" the South instead of celebrating the evolution of our area. Soon, Metro Charlotte (CSA) could become yet another "down south" city to leap frog STL's CSA in the years to come. I think some folks are aware of this fact and are venting on this thread.
No...Atlanta has been planning a new Symphony Hall designed by Santiago Calatrava, but they haven't raised enough money so far. The location has changed and they are scrapping his original design for a less expensive one. I haven't heard any talk about an Opera House. We already have Woodruff Arts Center, a cultural campus in Midtown. But why bring up Atlanta and/or St. Louis anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City