Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times

Advertisements

A town in the Tularosa basin or the lower Rio Grande valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 06:01 AM

23 posts, read 51,663 times
Also forgot to answer also, that I would like some trees and we both will probably have to work part-time for a few years, so some available employment without long drives.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado-dreaming
... both will probably have to work part-time for a few years,
so some available employment without long drives. ...
Using the Railrunner offers some unique opportunities to live in a
small town and have a city center for employment opportunities.

Los Lunas and Belen are small town exurbs of Albuquerque.

Both have reasonable, mild 3-month summers
and ........ reasonable, mild 3-month winters.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Using the Railrunner offers some unique opportunities to live in a
small town and have a city center for employment opportunities.

Los Lunas and Belen are small town exurbs of Albuquerque.

Both have reasonable, mild 3-month summers
and ........ reasonable, mild 3-month winters.
yes, I would recommend Las Lunas, I am not sure about Belen.. We lived in the Rio Community area for many years. It certainly has its pluses and minuses.

NIta

Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 PM

390 posts, read 951,944 times
Algodonas between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Silver City, Carlsbad, Roswell, all nice places.

Now a little OT but I understood that the difference in climate was due to the fact Albuq and north are at the southern end of the Rockies. Mountains around Ruidoso, Capitan and I guess Carlsbad are the upper reaches of the Sonora Desert range?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado-dreaming View Post
Also forgot to answer also, that I would like some trees...
Like these? Taken yesterday in Argentina Canyon near Ruidoso:
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a place to retire in NM or WY-argentinacyn1_-_oct09.jpg  

Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
What a wonderful pic, rruff!

I still haven't found anything yet in Ruidoso......I may also wait and see how this winter is.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:24 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Like these? Taken yesterday in Argentina Canyon near Ruidoso:
Looks gorgeous, very nice picture. I wish I was there. I won't be there until November 12 and I am sure I will miss all the colors. Thanks for the picture.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:02 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
I had intended to find some Aspens, but for some reason all the Aspens in that canyon were devoid of leaves... and it didn't appear they had ever turned golden. I could see golden Aspens on far ridges, though.

That photo of the maples is by far the best one I took. I didn't have a tripod and wasn't holding very steady in the diminishing light... plus that was toward the end of our hike and the wife was antsy to be done. I could have spent a couple of hours in there though. If anyone would like to visit while the time is ripe, that's ~1 mile up Argentina Cyn via the Bonito trailhead. The start of the trial is north from the parking area, up a steep hill... but it soon levels off and is easy to walk.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a place to retire in NM or WY-bonitocyn01_maple1-_oct09.jpg   Looking for a place to retire in NM or WY-bonitocyn06_aspens2-_oct09.jpg  

Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 PM

265 posts, read 873,574 times
In my quest for a mild 4 season climate with green stuff like trees and grass, the areas of Capitan/Ruidoso, High Rolls, Timberon, and the Silver City areas stand out. I'm looking for temps rarely to fall below zero in the winter while rarely topping 100 in the summer. From data, these areas seem to qualify. Also they are high enough to have enough moisture to be out of the desert regions.Avoiding the temp extremes along with low snowfall totals which melt quickly also on my list. Only negative seen so far is high winds at certain times of the year. I am talking weather only right now. Of course I have many other factors to consider on my long list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City