Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Row House 128 64.32%
Triple Decker 71 35.68%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:04 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ever heard of a pun?

I never said "oh yeah this is totally a thing." Just a pun. For the dense out there: some rowhouses look like places where I wouldn't be surprised if horrible crimes have been committed in them.

Is that clear enough or are we gonna keep going with this argument that nobody is making?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8xlEgoS-rg

So dense! So urban! So row house!!!!
Well you tried, bless your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 07:29 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Ever heard of a pun?

I never said "oh yeah this is totally a thing." Just a pun. For the dense out there: some rowhouses look like places where I wouldn't be surprised if horrible crimes have been committed in them.

Is that clear enough or are we gonna keep going with this argument that nobody is making?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8xlEgoS-rg

So dense! So urban! So row house!!!!
Some of the worst housing I've seen is detached houses. Not to mention multi-family buildings (i.e. apartment buildings). Why single out row houses?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:42 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
"Rowhouses" is too broad. Some are lovely. But then you have downright depressing ones, I'm thinking of some areas of Philly and Pittsburgh. Yeah ok great, it's a "rowhouse." It also looks like a rapehouse.
Lol it is quite clear what you meant/were doing. Either people play dumb or are dumb.

On topic, I like row houses, especially Philadelphia's old historic ones.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Lol it is quite clear what you meant/were doing. Either people play dumb or are dumb.
It wasn't at all clear to me and I assure you I'm not dumb nor do I have time to play dumb. Had he said crackhouses, I would have immediately gotten that reference since that's an actual thing. Have no clue what the heck a "rapehouse" is though...I thought it might have been some type of regional reference since I'm not a Northerner.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:00 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It wasn't at all clear to me and I assure you I'm not dumb nor do I have time to play dumb. Had he said crackhouses, I would have immediately gotten that reference since that's an actual thing. Have no clue what the heck a "rapehouse" is though...I thought it might have been some type of regional reference since I'm not a Northerner.
No, it was just a joke, a play on "row" house. An "r" word to describe something bad or negative. I can't speak for another poster, but I would say there was no significance behind using the word "rape" other than it beginning with an "r" like row house and was a punny or sort of humorous way to say that certain areas where row houses may be could be dangerous or sketchy because they tend to be in cities. Some row house neighborhoods in Philly, and other cities like Camden, Baltimore, etc. are in very bad areas.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, it was just a joke, a play on "row" house. An "r" word to describe something bad or negative. I can't speak for another poster, but I would say there was no significance behind using the word "rape" other than it beginning with an "r" like row house and was a punny or sort of humorous way to say that certain areas where row houses may be could be dangerous or sketchy because they tend to be in cities. Some row house neighborhoods in Philly, and other cities like Camden, Baltimore, etc. are in very bad areas.
I'm well aware of bad rowhouse neighborhoods; I lived in south Jersey near Camden for about a year and now live in the DC area. I didn't get the 'joke' myself and thought it might have been some type of regional colloquial term I'd never heard of but okay.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:41 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Any type of housing vernacular looks ghetto and scary if it's left to be run down and abandoned.

That said, brick houses (of all sorts) handle neglect a lot better than frame houses. A brick building (whether attached or detached) can go 50 years without repointing without having major structural issues. In contrast, a frame building left abandoned begins rotting within a decade.

The bottom line is while rowhouse neighborhoods which are blighted and abandoned can look very scary, they can actually be brought back to habitable status much more easily and cheaply.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:09 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Any type of housing vernacular looks ghetto and scary if it's left to be run down and abandoned.

That said, brick houses (of all sorts) handle neglect a lot better than frame houses. A brick building (whether attached or detached) can go 50 years without repointing without having major structural issues. In contrast, a frame building left abandoned begins rotting within a decade.

The bottom line is while rowhouse neighborhoods which are blighted and abandoned can look very scary, they can actually be brought back to habitable status much more easily and cheaply.
If they have FLAT AND OLD TAR-PAPER ROOFS ...... fagetaboutit if neglected once the roof leaks. Most rows have these flat roofs too. So the brick walls hold up? Once windows are taken out and a bad roof rots the interior? They DO NOT DO BETTER. Siding still keeps exteriors looking OK if a Triple-Decker too. But a bad roof does as much harm too.... brick or not.

The BEST choice of homes for the masses early 20th century? Was the Chicago Brick bungalow. They held any neglect best. Their eaves were protected and roofs slopped in peaks to have a SHINGLED ROOF. Much better in durability even in neglect. But none of these roofs last forever. A slate to tile will last many decades.

There is really no BETTER SCENERIO for Row-housing if roofs leak and left to have windows blown out. No one likes ..... interior rooms with no windows either in many rows..... especially the tightest and to be the cheapest to build for the masses back in the day.

I know many want to find ways and reasons? To justify ALL rows.... as they have to be better and especially if brick vs. a wood-framed Triple-Decker or other? All are only as good as a NON-leaking roof protects them. For flatter roofs? A rubber roof is best today. But how many old rows have rubber roofs yet? Also your neighbor can have a bad roof that leaks into yours? Another unfavorable trait of rows.

Last edited by DavePa; 08-16-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 05:22 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I'm not too sure a neighborhood like this could ever be brought back to a habitable status regardless of how much money or effort one would be willing to spend:

This is Camden, btw. It isn't just the blight but just as much the crime which prevents neighborhoods like this from improving. In Baltimore they just tear down these houses, which probably is the best solution.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:02 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I'm not too sure a neighborhood like this could ever be brought back to a habitable status regardless of how much money or effort one would be willing to spend:

This is Camden, btw. It isn't just the blight but just as much the crime which prevents neighborhoods like this from improving. In Baltimore they just tear down these houses, which probably is the best solution.
The thread topic isn't blight you enjoy viewing maybe? I merely commented how the roof of a house is key to its falling into disrepair over having brick walls vs a wood-framed house.

Someone got desperate in to defend the Boston Triple-Decker? To GO LOW and post a blight video. Yours as a European to add to it was just low in you claimed neither housing ON TOPIC? You like better but merely think the topic might be on blighted housing? It isn't.

That picture of Camden? No age known? Is a completely abandoned street-scene too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City