Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Row House 128 64.32%
Triple Decker 71 35.68%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times

Advertisements

The Phila rowhouse spans all classes, from the fanciest houses on Delancey Place to a 10' wide North Philadelphia house with a boarded up house on one side and a vacant lot on the other. The Boston triple decker was built for mostly working class and middle class people. It had a shorter time frame-- 1880s to 1920s--whereas row houses go from the 18th century well into the 20th. So the comparison is a little skewed. The Boston bowfront was built mostly in Boston proper rather than the streetcar suburbs where you find the 3 decker. Main thing though is in Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York, Washington, and smaller cities through the mid-Atlantic, the row house was standard developer issue for a long long time. In New England the free-standing house, usually wooden, was always more popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:00 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
The Phila rowhouse spans all classes, from the fanciest houses on Delancey Place to a 10' wide North Philadelphia house with a boarded up house on one side and a vacant lot on the other. The Boston triple decker was built for mostly working class and middle class people. It had a shorter time frame-- 1880s to 1920s--whereas row houses go from the 18th century well into the 20th. So the comparison is a little skewed. The Boston bowfront was built mostly in Boston proper rather than the streetcar suburbs where you find the 3 decker. Main thing though is in Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York, Washington, and smaller cities through the mid-Atlantic, the row house was standard developer issue for a long long time. In New England the free-standing house, usually wooden, was always more popular.
True, and it is still very common for Rowhouses to get built here today.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Love those triple deckers, but they are full of swinish Mass Holes. The people of Massachusetts are a stain on this nation, and Boston is the gungy center of that stain.
LOL!

Agree and disagree. Triple deckers are ugly.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:02 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
The main problem with Boston triple-deckers is they are wood framed. Generally speaking, wood framed buildings don't tend to stand the test of time so well, as they require more upkeep. They're also much more apt to be "remuddled," with landlords eventually deciding to strip off all the wood trim and put aluminum siding on them. Obviously they can be restored, but still. In contrast a good brick or stone rowhouse can basically survive 50 years of neglect and still be restored (at least on the outside) to look as good as the day it was built.

An argument can be made that living in a Triple Decker is better than a rowhouse, if you don't care about having private outdoors space and really want lots of natural light and no stairs in your unit. Personally, I prefer rowhouse living however.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:03 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
LOL!

Agree and disagree. Triple deckers are ugly.
Some I've seen are fairly nice looking. But they're not to my taste. I prefer row houses or regular apartment buildings.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:04 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Love those triple deckers, but they are full of swinish Mass Holes. The people of Massachusetts are a stain on this nation, and Boston is the gungy center of that stain.
You know a lot of people say the same thing about Philly (minus the m******* name for obvious reasons). It's pretty stupid to generalize an entire city. I lived just outside Philly for a couple years and the New England area for 18. Met a bunch of awesome people from both places.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:07 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
You know a lot of people say the same thing about Philly (minus the m******* name for obvious reasons). It's pretty stupid to generalize an entire city. I lived just outside Philly for a couple years and the New England area for 18. Met a bunch of awesome people from both places.
His generalization is actually generally true though, to be fair. I live in Boston now. I just don't understand the casual hostility that permeates local every day life.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
His generalization is actually generally true though, to be fair. I live in Boston now. I just don't understand the casual hostility that permeates local every day life.
I spent a week there last summer actually and everyone was really cool. I dunno...I've also lived in NYC for 12 years and NJ for a couple so maybe I'm just immune to it lol

Old 07-06-2016, 09:15 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Jeez, these Philly voters really come out in the droves when it comes to voting for their own city on a CD poll...
Nah-doesn't seem to be the case with this. It seems the majority of posters prefer rowhomes, but as pointed out rowhomes span from Northeast Philly airlites to Rittenhouse Square and Fairmount near-mansions. Originally I intended this thread to only be comparing the "working class rowhome" to the triple decker.

FWIW I have fond memories of hanging out in my Aunt's Triple Decker in Dorchester. Her family was on the 2nd Floor and I liked the porch up there-and considering she owned the whole building it seems to be a great option (or used to be) for living less expensively while having some passive income or help in paying the mortgage.

The rowhome has more private outdoor space and private entrance, and no need to worry about neighbors with heavy boots or brooms, but the triple decker can have more windows and light.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Why is it that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have so many awnings on their row houses?

Haha-true. I like the cloth awnings ok, but the plastic .

And is it really necessary to have them on every single window LOL.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0289...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Triple deckers are made of wood; no masonry is used on the triple decker. I've seen some built because the only masonry that's used is cement for the basement. Philly is 100% masonry whereever you go either from South Philly to North Philly, Chestnut Hill to the NE. The only wooden structures that I know are in Fairmount Park!!!
I wouldn't say 100% but close to it maybe (stone or brick). My Mom (from Boston) is often talking about the "lack of wooden homes" in Philly but she absolutely loves the stone homes in Northwest Philly and other parts of the city. I agree with the stone homes-these are my favorite anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City