Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer to listen to KEOM 88.5 FM up here in paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The Houston area only has one station that plays purely hip-hop and R&B. Telemundo (or was it Univision?), radio department bought one of the stations. Slowly, it started changing to a Hispanic station, as they starting mixing in a lot of that BS Reggaetone music with the hip-hop/R&B music. Then, that station (use to be Party 104.9) went to a Tejano music station. They decided to make a new hip-hop/R&B station (93.3), but that station had terrible reception and was a repeat of the Reggaetone bs, mixed in with hip-hop/R&B. It wasn't a popular format the second time, and before you knew it, they changed it to another Tejano music station.

97.9 the Box use to be a great station when 104.9 was here and challenged them a lot (before 104.9 started changing). Now that 97.9 is the only urban format in town, they play crappy songs and have stopped playing a lot of local Houston artists (something they had over 104.9). Hopefully, a new urban format comes (and copies the K104 format in Dallas), and the Houston area can have more options.
So this is actually the second time I noticed someone corrected me on the number of stations. So to be clear, you guys are saying that Houston really only has one station now, not two. Wow! I gotta think there's room for more. I bet they get another one. I understand about the Hispanic stations, but again, the size of Houston's "urban" market seems to be underserved. Meanwhile, you've got places like Columbia, SC and Fayetteville, NC with four stations each.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
So this is actually the second time I noticed someone corrected me on the number of stations. So to be clear, you guys are saying that Houston really only has one station now, not two. Wow! I gotta think there's room for more. I bet they get another one. I understand about the Hispanic stations, but again, the size of Houston's "urban" market seems to be underserved. Meanwhile, you've got places like Columbia, SC and Fayetteville, NC with four stations each.
The Hispanics population has nothing to do with Houston lack of hip-hop/R&B stations. The Houston market is big enough to serve all genres of music. Dallas 105.7 and 94.5 serve as old school station. 97.9 and k104 to serve as the urban hip hop station. We (DFW) lost our jazz station 107.5 due to its decision to move satellite Radio to make more money and we are still pist about it.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Drake and Lil Wayne are probably the two most popular rappers right now, and (say what you want about Lil' Wayne), I'd say they're both talented (in different ways). I see what you mean though, but Soulja Boy is probably the least talented rapper out there, aside from Wacka Floca, and it's starting to reflect in his poor record sales.
I don't care what anyone says, Eminem is one of the most talented Rappers there ever was. 50 Cents old albums were dope too. Dr. Dre produced beats for both of them.

East Coast Hip Hop is bomb too, but it rarely gets played here in the South. Artists like Raekwon, GZA, RZA, & Ghostface Killa never get the credit they deserve.

The West Coast scene died back in the late 90's. Most stuff coming out of there now is crap. They're tryin to copy that Southern style now.

Devin The Dude is probably one of Houston's best Rapper's along with Scarface. Zero is also good.

Not sure what ever happened to the No Limit crew. I guess they're all in jail or prison except for Master P.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I don't care what anyone says, Eminem is one of the most talented Rappers there ever was. 50 Cents old albums were dope too. Dr. Dre produced beats for both of them.

East Coast Hip Hop is bomb too, but it rarely gets played here in the South. Artists like Raekwon, GZA, RZA, & Ghostface Killa never get the credit they deserve.

The West Coast scene died back in the late 90's. Most stuff coming out of there now is crap. They're tryin to copy that Southern style now.

Devin The Dude is probably one of Houston's best Rapper's along with Scarface. Zero is also good.

Not sure what ever happened to the No Limit crew. I guess they're all in jail or prison except for Master P.
I wouldn't say Devin the Dude is one of the best Texas has to offer, but I like his style. His songs be killing me though. My favorites are Doobie Ashtray,she want the money, Like Dope, and What a Job.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I wouldn't say Devin the Dude is one of the best Texas has to offer, but I like his style. His songs be killing me though. My favorites are Doobie Ashtray,she want the money, Like Dope, and What a Job.
My cousin offered him a joint & smoked it with him when he came to do a show here in Tyler one time several years back. Cops were standing right there too.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:11 PM

182 posts, read 314,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
My cousin offered him a joint & smoked it with him when he came to do a show here in Tyler one time several years back. Cops were standing right there too.
Drugs are bad mmmkay

Old 07-16-2010, 06:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Drugs are made, correct. Good thing marijuana is all natural, and put on this Earth by God.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Drugs are made, correct. Good thing marijuana is all natural, and put on this Earth by God.
I guess what that means is since God put weed on this Earth he thinks it's OK for us to smoke it.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:10 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I guess what that means is since God put weed on this Earth he thinks it's OK for us to smoke it.
It's all about the benjamins, haven't you figured that out? We're not told not to smoke weed because of our safety or any other reason. We're told not to smoke it because there's no way to there's no way of taxing it. That's why people with possession get hit with more time than someone who killed somebody. That's why drugs are allowed in to this country setting people up. It's easier to just get free labor and prison work from people since there's no real way of regulating where its grown and how its sold.

AS far as hip hop...

I miss the 90's rappers. True Raekwon, GZA, RZA, & Ghostface Killa and the rest of the Wu tang clan are tight east coast rappers. Can't forget *****, NAZ, Redman, and Biggie.

As far as the WEST coast: We got Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Emimem, Snoop Dogg (not really a rapper in that sense any longer but you still love him for being snoop.) I think the best ever was my man Tupac.

I'm sorry, no disrespect to todays rappers, but I just don't feel that same spice coming from the new rappers. It sounds like all the beats are basically the same. True Kanye and Lil Wayne manage to put out a few of good songs. Would I call them the best? No. Young Jeezy? Good, yes, the best? NO.

I'm really feelin' Drake though. he kind of has a nice, crisp flow that you can bob your head to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City