Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,397 times

Advertisements

The number of Walmarts go to show you how suburban in nature Dallas really, truly is. It's funny how some posters like to delude themselves into thinking how "urban" the city is, when it really isn't.

I remember a Walmart on the IH-30 Service Road by Buckner Blvd, which isn't too far from the poster's beloved Lakewood. Or the one on Cockrell Hill Road in West Dallas. Or the one on Forest Lane, which is well within the city of Dallas, I don't care how close to Garland it is. Or the Super Walmart that replaced Prestonwood, which is in Far North Dallas.

And the numerous Walmart Neighborhood Markets in the Dallas City limits, one right near Uptown on the Central near Hall St, well within the city

I know a lot of people hate Walmart, but I respect it for its convenience and how Sam Walton was a true American success story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly
Honestly it is this type of discussion that makes people question why everyone wants to move here. Even the Atlanta airport has better shopping
Not true. Dallas may be lacking in a lot of things regarding city life, but it's top-notch in terms of shopping. Arguably better than Atlanta. And I guess you never heard that Dallas fared pretty well during the economic crisis, plus there is cheap housing. I don't understand why bitter northeastern posters on here don't comprehend this. The Sunbelt cities are not the exact carbon copy of the older NE cities, and they never will be. They're different, get over it.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 06-29-2010 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
The number of Walmarts go to show you how suburban in nature Dallas really, truly is. It's funny how some posters like to delude themselves into thinking how "urban" the city is, when it really isn't.

I remember a Walmart on the IH-30 Service Road by Buckner Blvd, which isn't too far from the poster's beloved Lakewood. Or the one on Cockrell Hill Road in West Dallas. Or the one on Forest Lane, which is well within the city of Dallas, I don't care how close to Garland it is. Or the Super Walmart that replaced Prestonwood, which is in Far North Dallas.

Not true. Dallas may be lacking in a lot of things regarding city life, but it's top-notch in terms of shopping. Arguably better than Atlanta. And I guess you never heard that Dallas fared pretty well during the economic crisis, plus there is cheap housing. I don't understand why bitter northeastern posters on here don't comprehend this. The Sunbelt cities are not the exact carbon copy of the older NE cities. It's different, get over it.

I am only bitter about the airports, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston all have better airports. The NE can't hold a candle to the these places or the density of Walmarts

Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Honestly, as much as I love seeing half of you guys (to the Texas posters) talk because you guys are funny as hell, do you guys hear yourselves? You cannot say your city is world class and then have a 7 post comment talk about Wal Mart. And ESPECIALLY in the City VS City room where the idea is not to make your own city look bad. Wal Mart isn't necessarily bad- but it's not something people think too highly of during discussions.

In fact I don't think Wal-Mart and world class have ever been used in the same sentence before, until just now!

Come on guys, I'm just as big on Texas as you are, but seriously? I hate talking about Illinois- the only thing there is Chicgoland... how boring of a state is that (outside of Chicagoland)?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Honestly, as much as I love seeing half of you guys (to the Texas posters) talk because you guys are funny as hell, do you guys hear yourselves? You cannot say your city is world class and then have a 7 post comment talk about Wal Mart. And ESPECIALLY in the City VS City room where the idea is not to make your own city look bad. Wal Mart isn't necessarily bad- but it's not something people think too highly of during discussions.
Listening to their delusions is quite hilarious in a sad way. Talking about how many Walmarts they have in the city? LMAO. There is a Walmart right near my old neighborhood in Baldwin Hills/Crenshaw area out in LA. People aren't bragging about it though. It's just a place to shop. Then they wonder why the posters from other parts of the country mock and laugh at them. Dallas and Houston may be growing fast, but world class? Hell no!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
I do not believe there are any walmarts in the inner loop of Houston. Just one more reason why the inner loop is the city and metro part of Houston and the rest is the suburban part.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Listening to their delusions is quite hilarious in a sad way. Talking about how many Walmarts they have in the city? LMAO. There is a Walmart right near my old neighborhood in Baldwin Hills/Crenshaw area out in LA. People aren't bragging about it though. It's just a place to shop. Then they wonder why the posters from other parts of the country mock and laugh at them. Dallas and Houston may be growing fast, but world class? Hell no!

You speak the truth in some ways, but these places to your point are advancing for a reason, pro-business state gov't, cheap real estate and a decent place to live. You miss my sarcasm but it doesnt translate well in the written word, but the number of threads with discussions that articulate why this cookie cutter is better than that cookie cutter are both entertaining and sad to your point. Why can't we have a real conversation about density of starbucks

Old 06-29-2010, 07:40 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:

And the numerous Walmart Neighborhood Markets in the Dallas City limits, one right near Uptown on the Central near Hall St, well within the city

I know a lot of people hate Walmart, but I respect it for its convenience and how Sam Walton was a true American success story.

Not true. Dallas may be lacking in a lot of things regarding city life, but it's top-notch in terms of shopping. Arguably better than Atlanta. And I guess you never heard that Dallas fared pretty well during the economic crisis, plus there is cheap housing. I don't understand why bitter northeastern posters on here don't comprehend this. The Sunbelt cities are not the exact carbon copy of the older NE cities, and they never will be. They're different, get over it.
Lacking? How?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Lacking? How?

definately not Walmarts

Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
definately not Walmarts
I was questioning how Dallas lacked certain things as far as city life goes.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Why can't we have a real conversation about density of starbucks
That is the most important topic there is to discuss about any city. No Starbucks = how the hell am I going to be awake for work/school in the morning?

Man it's like what corn is to Chicagoans and what the sun is to those Angelenos and what bagels are to New Yorkers and Cheesesteak to Philadelphians. Except Starbucks are on the national level of importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City