Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 05:34 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's great and all but again, there is no rivalry between the Cowboys and Texans and there never will be unless both teams meet in the superbowl.
There isn't a rivalry, but people in Dallas like to overestimate themselves, I guess, and act like Texans fans view the Cowboys like they do the Titans. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Who cares? The stadiums are down the road 15 miles. Reliant Stadium is about that far from Downtown Houston. Its not like it stops people from going.

Youre the only person Ive seen get worked up because the Cowboys stadium in in Arlington. Its not like it stops people from going to the games.

I didnt say Houston didnt have sports teams to be proud of, but in my opinion Dallas (or DFW if it makes you feel better) has more to offer in the way of Sports than the Houston area.
Seriously? I know plenty of people who don't like the stadium being in Arlington. Just like they hate the Rangers being in Arlington. Luckily, it's the Cowboys and they play on Sundays a few times out of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 05:36 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times
Quote:
That's great and all but again, there is no rivalry between the Cowboys and Texans and there never will be unless both teams meet in the superbowl.
The Texans will never make it to the superbowl!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
But Dallas is a better sports town though from college to pro sports. Dallas has the upper hand in that. This is not to say Houston's a bad sports town. But Dallas is just simply better. I do think the Texas Rangers should be in downtown Dallas and I bet the Rangers are kicking themselves about that building that park in Arlington.
In your opinion. I think Houston is better. Both average about the same in attendance (percentage wise). You watch this year when the Texans actually compete. And you probably weren't here when the Astros were winning. Houston is a good sports town, just underrated (as usual).

Quote:
I have no problem with the Cowboys playing in Arlington. With the type of event football stadiums are, they belong in the suburbs.
You didn't hear the complaints people have had about the stadium being way out in Glendale for the Cardinals (especially during the Super Bowl). I expect the same to happen with Arlington, especially since there isn't public transportation.

Quote:
What do you mean which is the bigger brand and which one do more people know about? This is the Dallas Cowboys we're talking about. One of the most popular teams in professional sports.
You're forgetting football isn't as big as basketball. I'm telling you, more people most likely know about the Houston Rockets than the Dallas Cowboys, and it should be blatantly obvious why.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:41 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Big deal. You have the Dallas Cowboys. Houston has the Houston Rockets. Which is the larger brand worldwide? Which one do more people know about? Houston is about as good of a sports town as Dallas. Those that say Dallas is much better (with better fans) are seriously kidding themselves.
Hmmm...the Dallas Cowboys are the 2nd most valuable sports franchise in the world, but since NFL/ american football isnt that prominent outside the US, it is questionable wether or not the Houston Rockets are more well known internationally.

Just look at some of the players wearing a Rockets uniform that have added to the knowledge of the Rockets. In fact, just the languages available to translate the Rockets website is proof of how internationally the Rockets are well known. Yao Ming the international basketball superstar of China and Luis Scola of Argentina, who holds dual citizenship in Spain as well greatly heighten the international profile of the Rockets.

But I don't know, are those 2 players really making the Rockets more well known than the Dallas Cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
What are people making a big deal about this! At least Dallas has better stadiums and arenas!
It wasn't a knock on Dallas, more on Dallas' stadia location. The big deal is that you can't really name another city that has as much stadia in the suburbs as DFW. 3 of the 5 sports franchises play in the suburbs, and 3 of the 4 sports venues are in the suburbs, thats the big deal. Just imagine a tourist that wants to see the world famous Dallas Cowboys staying in Dallas would have to rent a car to go see them play.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Hmmm...the Dallas Cowboys are the 2nd most valuable sports franchise in the world, but since NFL/ american football isnt that prominent outside the US, it is questionable wether or not the Houston Rockets are more well known internationally.

Just look at some of the players wearing a Rockets uniform that have added to the knowledge of the Rockets. In fact, just the languages available to translate the Rockets website is proof of how internationally the Rockets are well known. Yao Ming the international basketball superstar of China and Luis Scola of Argentina, who holds dual citizenship in Spain as well greatly heighten the international profile of the Rockets.

But I don't know, are those 2 players really making the Rockets more well known than the Dallas Cowboys?
You go to China and show a ten year old kid the Rockets logo and the Cowboys logo and I wonder which he'll identify first. Basketball is a more popular worldwide sport than football. You go to Argentina and show a photo of Yao Ming or Tony Romo, and who is recognized first?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:50 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
In your opinion. I think Houston is better. Both average about the same in attendance (percentage wise). You watch this year when the Texans actually compete. And you probably weren't here when the Astros were winning. Houston is a good sports town, just underrated (as usual).
I'm sorry. I'm looking at ALL sports. The DFW holds more sports year round than Houston. They host one of the greatest college football rivalries ever. They host an up and coming horse track and Texas only NASCAR track. When the Rangers were winning last year, attendance was good. Also, let's be real. Mavericks attendance crush the Rockets. It isn't close and has not been for the past decade.

Quote:
You didn't hear the complaints people have had about the stadium being way out in Glendale for the Cardinals (especially during the Super Bowl). I expect the same to happen with Arlington, especially since there isn't public transportation.
Honestly, I don't care what stupid media members have to say. They are the ones complaining. They complained about Houston even though your stadium is only 7 miles from downtown. If it's not New Orleans, Miami, or San Diego, they will blast your city, period.
Quote:
You're forgetting football isn't as big as basketball. I'm telling you, more people most likely know about the Houston Rockets than the Dallas Cowboys, and it should be blatantly obvious why.
Why, because Houston has Yao Ming or Hakeem? Please, the Cowboys is one of the biggest brands in the world.
Forbes: Dallas Cowboys fourth biggest brand in world | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
Their winning history and their markets far exceeds that of the Houston Rockets. Football isn't as big as basketball but that means nothing when it comes to marketing.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:53 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
You go to China and show a ten year old kid the Rockets logo and the Cowboys logo and I wonder which he'll identify first. Basketball is a more popular worldwide sport than football. You go to Argentina and show a photo of Yao Ming or Tony Romo, and who is recognized first?
You go to Mexico and show a photo of Yao Ming or the star and which one do you think they will get excited for the most. If Europeans don't know much about American sports, they know of two teams. The Yankees and the Cowboys. There really isn't a discussion about this one here. The Cowboys are far more popular than the Rockets. Far more popular.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry. I'm looking at ALL sports. The DFW holds more sports year round than Houston. They host one of the greatest college football rivalries ever. They host an up and coming horse track and Texas only NASCAR track. When the Rangers were winning last year, attendance was good. Also, let's be real. Mavericks attendance crush the Rockets. It isn't close and has not been for the past decade.
Not by percentage. Maybe this year, because the Rockets aren't as competitive, but the American Airlines Center holds more people than the Toyota Center. I'm guessing you're looking at overall numbers. And I was talking pro sports, where they both seem equal. Dallas is better in college sports and NASCAR. But, Houston still holds plenty of events for the NCAA.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't care what stupid media members have to say. They are the ones complaining. They complained about Houston even though your stadium is only 7 miles from downtown. If it's not New Orleans, Miami, or San Diego, they will blast your city, period.
Whatever. I think it was dumb to put it in Arlington, and thought it would be much better at the Cotton Bowl. Some people like driving way out to the suburbs for games, others don't.

Quote:
Why, because Houston has Yao Ming or Hakeem? Please, the Cowboys is one of the biggest brands in the world.
Forbes: Dallas Cowboys fourth biggest brand in world | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
Their winning history and their markets far exceeds that of the Houston Rockets. Football isn't as big as basketball but that means nothing when it comes to marketing.
Look at my post above.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times
^^^ Why should it matter! The Cowboys have not been in Dallas since the 70s! It would not take that long for someone from Dallas to get to Arlington, in Houston that is a different story!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
^^^ Why should it matter! The Cowboys have not been in Dallas since the 70s! It would not take that long for someone from Dallas to get to Arlington, in Houston that is a different story!
At least they were in Dallas County for all those years at Texas Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City