Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Reputation: 10580

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah...no rivalry exists besides a pro football team & on C-D. Give me a break people. Tell that to Time Magazine & the New York Times. Articles that were written about the two Texas rivals decades ago still hold some truth in this very day & age. Just reading it gives me the willies.

The Best Little Rivalry in Texas - TIME

Houston vs. Dallas - A Boom, a Bust, Two Cities and One Intense Rivalry - NYTimes.com

Even my grandparents who are born & raised Texans (my grandfather from Dallas & grandmother from Waco) have told me the stories throughout the years about how one tries to out do the other one on just about everything & egos can collide.

I can still recall the look on Jerry Jone's face the first time he played his Cowboys at Reliant Stadium in Houston. Its a look I'll never forget for as long as I live.
Historically, I think your right, but your sources are from non-Texans.

In the modern times, Im not so sure. Ive never heard anybody talk negatively about Houston up here except the humidity and the traffic. I have heard a couple of people talk negatively about Dallas in Houston (pretentious and too formal), but I have written it off as an exception since most of the people Ive met in Houston have nothing bad to say about Dallas.

Were talking about Texas in 2010. Both of these places have too many people from other states and countries to be too hung up on that still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,867,375 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I've lived in Houston for almost 11 years now. The only Dallas vs. Houston rivalry I ever see is when it comes to football. Most of the people in the Houston area (that are Texans fans) hate the Cowboys with a passion. Part of this is the Cowboys and the Texans are rivals so it's the Texans' fans job to hate the Cowboys. Part of it is the Cowboys seem to get more air time than any other team in the country. Between the famous Cowboys cheerleaders and the nickname "America's team" I think Texans fans don't like hearing all this. So it seems most Houstonians don't have anything against Dallas but they would like to see the Cowboys take a 1912 cruise across the North Atlantic in the winter time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Whatever, there is no rivalry between the Cowboys and Texans and if there is a rivalry, it's coming from one side. Most Cowboy fans I know root for the Texans including me. It's like the Eagles and Steelers. Eagle fans hate the Steelers and Steeler fans could not care any less for them. Just because they are in the same state does not make them a rivalry.
People in Dallas like to say that it's a one-way rivalry, but I disagree. When I use to stay in Dallas, the sports radio up there use to rag on the Texans all the time and say we should lose our franchise. They use to rag on us and call preseason games against them our Super Bowl. When the Oilers were here, no one would say what you were saying. The Oilers, with Earl Campbell, use to ruin Thanksgiving Games for the Cowboys. I think there was a stronger rivalry there, but since the Texans are new, people in Dallas pass them off, or rag on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
 
4,775 posts, read 8,791,313 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
People in Dallas like to say that it's a one-way rivalry, but I disagree. When I use to stay in Dallas, the sports radio up there use to rag on the Texans all the time and say we should lose our franchise. They use to rag on us and call preseason games against them our Super Bowl. When the Oilers were here, no one would say what you were saying. The Oilers, with Earl Campbell, use to ruin Thanksgiving Games for the Cowboys. I think there was a stronger rivalry there, but since the Texans are new, people in Dallas pass them off, or rag on them.
The keyword is THE DALLAS COWBOYS nobody outside of Houston really cares about the Houston Texans. Even the city of Houston is filled with Cowboys fans. The Cowboys are just one of those rare franchises that extend well beyond its media market. There are Cowboys fans everywhere. They even have Cowboys Pro sports stores all over the country. The Texans will never be as respected as the 2nd richest sports franchise in the world. Truth be told most people in DFW really don't think of Houston as much of a sports town. The only one to blame for Houston being a lousy sports town is Houston. Houston is too big of a metro to have sorry ownership and lack of fan supports for its professional sports team. Maybe if Houston actually put together some competitive teams than its neighbors to the north would respect them as a sports town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The only one to blame for Houston being a lousy sports town is Houston. Houston is too big of a metro to have sorry ownership and lack of fan supports for its professional sports team.
I think thats a little extreme. Houston does have the Astros and Rockets and they do have quite a big local following. I wouldnt call Houston a lousy sports town, it just doesnt stand out as a great one to me.

However, Dallas is definately the better sports city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,500 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Reputation: 12109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
People in Dallas like to say that it's a one-way rivalry, but I disagree. When I use to stay in Dallas, the sports radio up there use to rag on the Texans all the time and say we should lose our franchise. They use to rag on us and call preseason games against them our Super Bowl. When the Oilers were here, no one would say what you were saying. The Oilers, with Earl Campbell, use to ruin Thanksgiving Games for the Cowboys. I think there was a stronger rivalry there, but since the Texans are new, people in Dallas pass them off, or rag on them.
Well of course they will rag on them at times. Dallas sports radio also rags on Detroit, Arizona, Seattle, and more from time to time. But the Dallas Cowboy fans will tell you that our rivals are the skins (by far number 1), eagles, giants, niners (my most hated team), steelers, and packers. Anybody outside of that really is not a big rival to the Cowboys. But most of the hate comes from the Texans. They have a rivalry board on a message board where they talk about the Cowboys just as much as they talk about the Titans. If you visit any Cowboy board, the Texans are rarely talked about if ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well of course they will rag on them at times. Dallas sports radio also rags on Detroit, Arizona, Seattle, and more from time to time. But the Dallas Cowboy fans will tell you that our rivals are the skins (by far number 1), eagles, giants, niners (my most hated team), steelers, and packers. Anybody outside of that really is not a big rival to the Cowboys. But most of the hate comes from the Texans. They have a rivalry board on a message board where they talk about the Cowboys just as much as they talk about the Titans. If you visit any Cowboy board, the Texans are rarely talked about if ever.
This is very true. The Eagles, Giants, and the Redskins are the hated ones. I listen to sports talk radio, but I never really hear the Texans mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
 
4,775 posts, read 8,791,313 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I think thats a little extreme. Houston does have the Astros and Rockets and they do have quite a big local following. I wouldnt call Houston a lousy sports town, it just doesnt stand out as a great one to me.

However, Dallas is definately the better sports city.
Neither does San Antonio stand out but they compete and have broken Mavericks fans heart on numerous occasions. All it takes is "Opening up a can of Whoops a** and Houston will have my respect as a sports town.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 04-14-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 6,223,731 times
Reputation: 1315
The Cowboys-Redskins Rivalry is legendary. When I'm up in DC visiting relatives during Thanksgiving, I have cousins who walk into my uncle's house with their Cowboys jerseys (and they've never been to Texas a day in their life), and he struts around in his Redskins paraphernalia. Curse words fly back and forth too. And the Eagles fans in my family come in and go off only the way Eagles fans can

Last edited by grindin; 04-14-2010 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: America
5,092 posts, read 8,803,857 times
Reputation: 1970
man, i wish all of y'all would hush

it's all about them vikings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 01:41 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 6,223,731 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
man, i wish all of y'all would hush

it's all about them vikings

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!


*Takes a breath*

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! !



*Even if fellow alumni Brett Favre played there for one season, takes breath again*

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top