Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,849,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No offense but what Southern city have you stuck up for?
He chose Baltimore as the best southern city for something (I don't remember what) in another thread. Whatever it was and although I love Baltimore, it certainly didn't fit the criteria. He continued to rant that I only know Baltimore because of "The Wire" and not through my dozens of visits to the city.

Although most on this forum don't consider Baltimore a southern city, as I'm sure he wouldn't in any other instance, it is the "southern city" he "stuck up for".

Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,838,736 times
That should have been the comparison.Either Buckhead vs Uptown Charlotte or Midtown vs. Charlotte.The only reason he could pit Downtown ATL against Uptown Charlotte because the other areas of Charlotte do not comparable at all in relation to demographics.Like SouthPark could never go up against Buckhead even though that is the same type of upscale area.Even Midtown Atlanta cannot be compared.But Both Midtown is a better comparison to Uptown Charlotte.

While were at it lets put Austin up to Houston or Dallas.How you think that would go?Better yet how about Charlotte's downtown compared to
Mobile,AL?
http://www.datarecoverylabs.com/imag...a-Recovery.jpg
Charlotte
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4432525/CharlotteSkyline2-main_Full.jpg (broken link)

Its the same angle taken from the free way right?

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,013,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
He chose Baltimore as the best southern city for something (I don't remember what) in another thread. Whatever it was and although I love Baltimore, it certainly didn't fit the criteria. He continued to rant that I only know Baltimore because of "The Wire" and not through my dozens of visits to the city.

Although most on this forum don't consider Baltimore a southern city, as I'm sure he wouldn't in any other instance, it is the "southern city" he "stuck up for".
HAHA. Wow, Baltimore? Since when is Baltimore still Southern? I don't see the point of even coming on this thread if he has that much chagrin for the South.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,913,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
K gotcha... if you take out the rest of ATL skyline sure... but again that is like comparing Charlotte to a few blocks of NYC... or insert any other bigger city. If this is not the threads intention to put Charlotte in the same league as Atlanta, then my apologies.
That's HARDLY my intention, and for those who are familiar with my posts know that's not the case at all. Sometimes I defend Atlanta on here harder than the Atlanta crew, LOL.

Quote:
Again I think Jacksonville is more comparable to Charlotte than ATL is all things considered, I do not think Charlotte is in ATL's league as a city in form or function...
Agreed, although I think Austin is our closest regional peer, from a city, metro, and skyline point of view.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:37 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,865,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That should have been the comparison.Either Buckhead vs Uptown Charlotte or Midtown vs. Charlotte.The only reason he could pit Downtown ATL against Uptown Charlotte because the other areas of Charlotte do not comparable at all in relation to demographics.Like SouthPark could never go up against Buckhead even though that is the same type of upscale area.Even Midtown Atlanta cannot be compared.But Both Midtown is a better comparison to Uptown Charlotte.

While were at it lets put Austin up to Houston or Dallas.How you think that would go?Better yet how about Charlotte's downtown compared to
Mobile,AL?
[
Charlotte

You do have a point there buddy....

Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Charlotte is nice, the 1st 2 pics don't do Charlotte justice, but the last ones are nice. OVERALL ATL wins. I also live in Charlotte, so I see the skyline growing, but ATL is just a BEAST. Let's be real here C-D, lets be REAL.
Of course it is. We're just comparing downtown Atlanta's skyline with uptown Charlotte's, people. Anybody who is taking this to mean that Charlotte is somehow on Atlanta's level didn't get that notion from me, the author of this thread.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

Mobile,AL?
[
Charlotte

So go ahead and create these threads then; what's stopping you? I wanted to create a poll comparing downtown Atlanta and uptown Charlotte and I did. You want to compare midtown with Charlotte or Mobile with Charlotte, then do like I did and create the thread and poll. It's as simple as that.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,013,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Of course it is. We're just comparing downtown Atlanta's skyline with uptown Charlotte's, people. Anybody who is taking this to mean that Charlotte is somehow on Atlanta's level didn't get that notion from me, the author of this thread.
Indeed.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,865,145 times
How did Birmingham let Atlanta take all the glory in the Southeast? The state of Alabama and the city of Birmingham where at the forefront of the Civil Rights Movements. Yet Atlanta seem to have left Birmingham in the dust. Birmingham still look like it did in the 60's.

Birmingham, Alabama
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/Birmingham_skyline_from_highest_point.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
How did Birmingham let Atlanta take all the glory in the Southeast? The state of Alabama and the city of Birmingham where at the forefront of the Civil Rights Movements. Yet Atlanta seem to have left Birmingham in the dust. Birmingham still look like it did in the 60's.
You're exaggerating a bit about Birmingham still looking like it did in the 1960's, but in some ways that's not such a bad thing. I wish we here in Charlotte still had some of the beauties we had in the 60's; instead we tore them down in the name of "progress," but that's another discussion.

As far as why Atlanta zoomed past Birmingham, that's mainly due to Atlanta's airport and a more progressive stance when it came to race relations from the civic and business communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City