Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Why is it called uptown versus downtown?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why is it called uptown versus downtown?

Charlotte center city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I heard because The Square(Trade and Tryon) was the highest point in the city when first established and people would say that "I am going up to town" and that has stuck, but I do not know the real truth.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
The feds aren't bankrolling heavy rail anymore and there's no way in hell it can be funded locally 100%; it's waaayyyy too expensive, especially in this current political environment. Charlotte's long-range transit plans include a mix of light rail, streetcars, and commuter rail and Portland, for one, shows that this mix can work. The current system would probably already be undergoing an expansion if the Great Recession hadn't happened. Personally I think Charlotte is much more progressive than most cities its size when it comes to mass transit, IMO.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:43 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
are charlotte and portland growing at a similar rate?

this country is far behind as far as mass transit IMO. the fed govt definitely needs to step it up and start funding multiple heavy rail projects throughout the u.s.

obviously its wishful thinking to think that the fed govt will sponser it but i just don't see how street cars and two car light rail trains are a long term solution. i think thats wishful thinking as well, on charlotte's part.

and what commuter rail? link?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
are charlotte and portland growing at a similar rate?

this country is far behind as far as mass transit IMO. the fed govt definitely needs to step it up and start funding multiple heavy rail projects throughout the u.s.

obviously its wishful thinking to think that the fed govt will sponser it but i just don't see how street cars and two car light rail trains are a long term solution. i think thats wishful thinking as well, on charlotte's part.

and what commuter rail? link?
Just go to the cats lynx website and u will see the 2030 corridor transit plan...

Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM

Metro Portland is larger than metro Charlotte by about a good half a million, but Charlotte is growing faster.

With our deficit crisis and other fiscal issues we're dealing with, you're holding your breath if you think the feds are going to increase funding for subways/HRT, especially in this present political environment. From what I understand, they will fund 50% of the system with the rest having to come from the state and local jurisdictions. Nobody can afford that right now, especially not a city like Charlotte that doesn't have the density nor would have the ridership projections to fiscally justify such a system anyway.

And no offense, but it appears as though you are not familiar with Charlotte's long-rang transportation plans at all, especially since you refer to it as consisting of only streetcars and "two car light rail trains" (which is misleadingly inaccurate) and have no knowledge of the red line (30 mile commuter rail line to Mooresville). The 9.4 mile-long blue line extension from Uptown to University would probably already be under construction if it weren't for the Great Recession. Check here for the 2030 Transit Corridor System Plan for the area. If you still aren't satisfied by this, I just think you aren't being realistic about transit implementation and funding for a relatively low-density midsized Sunbelt city in the US in the beginning of the 21st century IMO. Keep in mind that Charlotte's existing light rail line is longer than Houston's and was implemented before Phoenix's, two significantly larger and faster-growing metros.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
I'd vote Atlanta.

I've been to Charlotte on several occasions. Its a nice city, but Atlanta is just more 'complete' in my opinion. Atlanta (along with Minneapolis and Austin) is near the top of my list for cities I want to explore more.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I'd vote Atlanta.

I've been to Charlotte on several occasions. Its a nice city, but Atlanta is just more 'complete' in my opinion. Atlanta (along with Minneapolis and Austin) is near the top of my list for cities I want to explore more.
We're talking specifically about the skylines of uptown Charlotte and downtown Atlanta, not about aggregate characteristics of the cities as a whole.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
We're talking specifically about the skylines of uptown Charlotte and downtown Atlanta, not about aggregate characteristics of the cities as a whole.
Correct..sorry my post came off as confusing. I actually do find the skyline itself more complete in DT Atlanta in comparison to uptown Charlotte.

EDIT: "Complete" meaning more architectural variety, density, etc.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Correct..sorry my post came off as confusing. I actually do find the skyline itself more complete in DT Atlanta in comparison to uptown Charlotte.

EDIT: "Complete" meaning more architectural variety, density, etc.
Point taken, and I actually agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City