Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best row houses?
Boston 53 16.56%
New York City 55 17.19%
Philadelphia 71 22.19%
Pittsburgh 13 4.06%
Baltimore 23 7.19%
Washington DC 29 9.06%
San Francisco 62 19.38%
Other 14 4.38%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

I said San Francisco, though I know Northeastern cities have great row houses. Thank you for the photos of Philadelphia...they were very informative. When I think of Boston, I think of Louisburg Squre...I think that's the name.

In San Francisco, there are so few SFD residences, that row houses are the norm throughout this 7x7 mile city. Pacific Heights is one of the premier neighborhoods and the individualized architecture is really interesting. The Marina district is similar in this regard, though there is much more stucco - some of it Spanish Colonial, some of it Venetian, and much more. Every neighborhood has a slightly different type of row house. In the west of the city, in the Sunset and in Richmond, there are the "tunnel" row houses. This allows you to enter parallel to a garage and use the "tunnel," as I perceive it, to get past the garage and to the entry of the dwelling, while there is another living floor above the "tunnel" and the garage. Heck, at least they have a garage.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-10-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 08:24 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Got to admit. Didnt really appreciate how much of a rowhouse city DC is until coming back here. I still wouldnt place it with Philly and Baltimore. But it is very much in that next tier.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Got to admit. Didnt really appreciate how much of a rowhouse city DC is until coming back here. I still wouldnt place it with Philly and Baltimore. But it is very much in that next tier.
Yes, Philly and Baltimore are the quintessential rowhouse cities, but I will say that DC's rowhouse neighborhoods are, overall, much more well-preserved and put on a very good face for rowhouse living.

Unfortunately, Philly and Baltimore suffered from similar degrees of de-industrialization and disinvestment that really took a tragic toll on some once-gorgeous neighborhoods. I know that in Philly, in particular, you can also find a lot of unfortunate "modernization" that took place over the years, which really bastardized some amazing historic rowhouse architecture.

Thankfully, not all is lost and there is a lot of new rehabs going in in both cities that is re-emphasizing historic architecture, but both Philadelphia and Baltimore should absolutely look to DC as model with its plethora of modern, revitalized rowhouse neighborhoods.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:13 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I said San Francisco, though I know Northeastern cities have great row houses. Thank you for the photos of Philadelphia...they were very informative. When I think of Boston, I think of Louisburg Squre...I think that's the name.

In San Francisco, there are so few SFD residences, that row houses are the norm throughout this 7x7 mile city. Pacific Heights is one of the premier neighborhoods and the individualized architecture is really interesting. The Marina district is similar in this regard, though there is much more stucco - some of it Spanish Colonial, some of it Venetian, and much more. Every neighborhood has a slightly different type of row house. In the west of the city, in the Sunset and in Richmond, there are the "tunnel" row houses. This allows you to enter parallel to a garage and use the "tunnel," as I perceive it, to get past the garage and to the entry of the dwelling, while there is another living floor above the "tunnel" and the garage. Heck, at least they have a garage.
Rowhouses have to be connected and most often will share a wall with another house.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
i personally like chicagos row houses

Old 09-28-2012, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,319 times
Been to all these cities. NYC ranks 1st IMHO. Followed by either Boston or San Francisco. Since they are completely different I cannot choose. I think most of Philly, Baltimore and Washington DC 's are either ugly, awkward or boring by comparison. The only thing you have left then to argue about is what constitutes a 'real' row house, how many there are and the perceived lack of vegetation in front of them.

BTW most of the ugly, treeless SF row houses shown so far are in the outer western districts which is quite foggy and the need for sunshine trumps the need for trees. And they were built in Interwar Period so many were designed to accommodate the automobile. While it's true that, in the main, San Francisco is not a street tree city (for the above mentioned reason) many of older districts have them and there has been a dramatic increase in tree planting in the last 10 years so once these grow up SF should look much more green.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
i personally like chicagos row houses
anyone have some picture or streetviews?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:52 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
1. Philadelphia

2. New York City

3. Baltimore/DC

4. Boston

I didn't notice any rowhomes in San Francisco but I guess people may classify what a rowhome is differently. Technically there needs to be a shared front wall, otherwise it is a townhome. I've never been to Pittsburgh.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 09-28-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
1. Philadelphia

2. New York City

3. Baltimore/DC

4. Boston

I didn't notice any rowhomes in San Francisco but I guess people may classify what a rowhome is differently. Technically there needs to be a shared front wall, otherwise it is a townhome. I've never been to Pittsburgh.

You probably didn't go to the West or the South side of town then. They're filled with nothing but rowhomes.

Sunset District, San Francisco - Google Maps

Crocker-Amazon, San Francisco - Google Maps

Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
anyone have some picture or streetviews?

Here's a streetview of a rowhouse neighborhood on the South Side:

Pullman, Chicago - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City