Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:43 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times

Advertisements

Yeah, we def. sound more east coast than Richmond.. I guess it's jus the culture lol.

But I think that Hampton Roads has the better hip hop scene in Virginia (with PHarell, Clipse, Missy, Timbaland making it to the top) and the local guys (Dout Gotcha, B. Michelle, Fam-Lay, DJ Jack of Spades, Nephew Aka Success etc.)

Old 10-05-2009, 07:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,784,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Yeah, we def. sound more east coast than Richmond.. I guess it's jus the culture lol.
Yeah, HR sounds more east coast cause they have more direct ties to the east coast while Richmond has more direct ties to the south.

For instance Push and Mal from the Clipse were born in the Bronx. Then you have Teddy Riley who is probably one of the most influential reasons why HR music really took off and he was from New York. He basically started the Neptunes' and Pharrell's careers. NYC gets most of the credit for New Jack Swing music but A LOT of it was actually recorded in Virginia Beach using producers from VA so a lot of the NJS sound is actually Virginia. And then you have this strange VA-PA connection (Re-Up, Roscoe P. Coldchain, etc) going on that adds to the east coast feel.

Richmond on the other hand probably works closer with ATL rappers. There is a real strong connection with a few Richmond rappers and Young Jeezy, Block (Block-Ent), Gorilla Zoe, Yung Joc, etc. (In fact, if you ever watch a Gorilla Zoe video you will see a few cars from Richmond in them). There are a few rappers (Ruin for example) that work a lot with New Orleans rappers (Boosie and that record label) but I'm not sure how that got started. But yeah, its probably mostly cultural. Richmond feels a lot more southern than HR. HR doesn't really feel east coast at all..but it doesn't feel southern really either..just neutral.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:17 PM

I wonder why Richmond and the 757 don't try and collaborate more often

Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
But I think that Hampton Roads has the better hip hop scene in Virginia (with PHarell, Clipse, Missy, Timbaland making it to the top) and the local guys (Dout Gotcha, B. Michelle, Fam-Lay, DJ Jack of Spades, Nephew Aka Success etc.)
Yeah, HR has a nice hip hop scene...

But....

Lonnie B > DJ Jack of Spades...i mean...Lonnie B is a member of the Heavy Hitters so that pretty much says enough..lol.

Red Rum (Richmond, DJ Khaled's new artist)= Dout Gotcha (in that they are both nothing special..kinda garbage)..lol.

TyraB > B. Michelle, easily.

But I'll admit, Clipse, Pharrell Missy and Timbaland are probably the most popular acts to come out of VA and HR gets credit for that. Though you can't forget about Skillz, Trey Songz and Chris Brown (born about an hour outside of Richmond downtown and he lives in the metro now).

Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
The same reason no one in Virginia collaborates on ANYTHING..lol...

Skillz worked with Timb and Missy for a while but thats it.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:47 PM

Yeah I pretty much agree with you there.

You heard of Nephew AkA Sucess?

NepheW on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

He's from Va Beach I think..

Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
The same reason no one in Virginia collaborates on ANYTHING..lol...

Skillz worked with Timb and Missy for a while but thats it.
Well people in certain regions of Va work with each other.. I know Pharell, Missy, Timblanad & Magoo use to work together all the time. And can't forget about Mr. Me Too back in the day.

You heard this old joint from the Clipse?

YouTube - The Re-Up Gang - 20K Money Making Brothers On The Corner

Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Well people in certain regions of Va work with each other.. I know Pharell, Missy, Timblanad & Magoo use to work together all the time. And can't forget about Mr. Me Too back in the day.

You heard this old joint from the Clipse?

YouTube - The Re-Up Gang - 20K Money Making Brothers On The Corner
LOL..yeah. I got every piece of music Re-Up and Clipse have ever put out...lol. Clipse is probably my top rap duo that are still current (except Outkast) and Re-Up is probably one of my favorite rap groups that are still active.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 PM

Yeah the album "till the casket drops" comes out next month! I can't wait, I heard they will be at commonwealth on 21st street on the release date.. I just might see whats happenin lol.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:08 PM

386 posts, read 986,703 times
Quote:
804 and 757 are so different from each other. I have met many people from Tidewater who say people from Central VA are country, and many from Richmond who think people from 757 are fake up north/on New Yorks jock type people. 757 has to many transplants honestly to ever be a true force.
I have lived in both areas and the 804 has more local support. They play Redrum, and some of the other local artist on the radio a lot in the 804 and many locals love there music and know words to there songs. 757 people don't really listen to there on local music and yall never have any local hits like Richmond.
Jo Doja's Cadi Man was a huge hit in Richmond back in the early 2000's. Also Illyaas was big from Petersburg. Redrum has been very popular in Richmond for the last two years in Richmond before he was signed. He had local hits on the radio with a song called "looka der' and "one more time". People in Richmond don't appreciate there lyricist as much as there down south rappers. People will hype up the Redrum's and Dedikated Boyz and not really mention the Nickelus F's, Lonnie B's, and Skillz type rappers.
I also agree that Lonnie B, Skillz, and Danja are nicer than any mc's out of the757.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City