Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 5 Most Important Cities In The South
Charlotte NC 68 45.03%
Atlanta GA 119 78.81%
Houston TX 109 72.19%
Austin TX 30 19.87%
New Orleans LA 42 27.81%
Tampa FL 18 11.92%
Miami FL 84 55.63%
Greensboro NC 8 5.30%
Charleston SC 8 5.30%
Memphis TN 19 12.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I an here to tell u hotel rooms are not an indicator of anything. Charlotte has already had a final four, an nba all-star game, and will hpst the democratic convention next year. I luved in ätl for 5 years and charlotte for 20. U guys in atl still wish that charlotte wash still in Atl shadow. But its not. Sorry. ..

Its still 2nd too Atlanta. If you dont think Charlotte wants Atlantas Success think again.. Im proud of Charlotte nothing against the area. Please dont get into this debate because even your fellow NC forumers have told you to shut up because you tend to be all over the place..

Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I definitely agree. There is definitely interaction between the two cities. Charlotte has definitely retained more autonomy in the past few decades and will continue in the coming decades. However, I see the relationship between the two similar to Phily and NYC, Detroit and Chicago, etc. Where Atlanta will always be the dominant city in the Southeast but Charlotte will move to a "junior partner" city instead of a paper pusher. Hotel rooms is actually a good indicator as Charlotte doesn't have a 1000 hotel room...yet. Business relationships is a bit more complex and just depends on the business field.

It would really benefit both cities to have HSR built between them. If only...

Also, looking to Atlanta as a model is not a bad thing. What Atlanta has done is simply amazing. Its only problem is that its in GA. Same problem for Birmingham being in AL. Now if they had been in NC...

This was a perfect post

Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
By City:

1. DC
2. Houston
3. ATL
4. Miami
5. Dallas

By Metro:

1. DC
2. Houston
3. Tie between ATL and DFW
4. Miami

Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Its still 2nd too Atlanta. If you dont think Charlotte wants Atlantas Success think again.. Im proud of Charlotte nothing against the area. Please dont get into this debate because even your fellow NC forumers have told you to shut up because you tend to be all over the place..
I will say that I think a lot of places in the South want Atlanta's success and notoriety. That's probably Atlanta's actual influence...that places want Atlanta's national importance...although I don't think they want to be like Atlanta. Atlanta is the big dog in the region, and the other cities (in one way or another) want that.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:00 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,713 times
Quote:
I dont recall that happening to me however I could say the same about you and your fellow Georgia posters..... I am Grown leave the personal insults alone...

Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I dont recall that happening to me however I could say the same about you and your fellow Georgia posters..... I am Grown leave the personal insults alone...

I do remember from the Charlotte vs Atlanta threads when you were going over the top. But no matter how you put it Charlotte is still in the shadows of Atlanta (fact). This debate really should be between Houston Dallas Atlanta to be honest.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
I do remember from the Charlotte vs Atlanta threads when you were going over the top. But no matter how you put it Charlotte is still in the shadows of Atlanta (fact). This debate really should be between Houston Dallas Atlanta to be honest.
Well, not totally. This is the top 5 cities in the South. Depending on your definition and what "South" you're looking at, Charlotte could be in that last. However, I must concede that if Charlotte is in the discussion, so should Tampa and Orlando.

And on the whole Charlotte in Atlanta's shadows and all that jazz, it actually benefits Atlanta when other Southeast metros start to rise, it makes its dominance more important.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Well, not totally. This is the top 5 cities in the South. Depending on your definition and what "South" you're looking at, Charlotte could be in that last. However, I must concede that if Charlotte is in the discussion, so should Tampa and Orlando.

And on the whole Charlotte in Atlanta's shadows and all that jazz, it actually benefits Atlanta when other Southeast metros start to rise, it makes its dominance more important.
Agreed

Old 03-23-2011, 12:05 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
I can agree with you when you say that Charlotte " sometimes" looks at Atlanta for how not to gro. However that is where the influence basically stops. Charlotte has its own professional sports teams, big shopping centers, music venues, concerts, comedy places, recreatrional centers, etc.... Nobody from Charlotte or the North Carolina drives down to Atlanta for any of those things except for maybe the rare concert that comes to Atl and not Charlotte. 20 years ago Atlanta was the dominate force in the region but not anymore. Hell Charlotte competes with ATl head to head for businesses and conventions in the southe east now....
I keep trying to avoid you so bad but its like you say stuff that you want me to speak on!
Charlotte people have talked themselves into believing that they got where they are looking to Atlanta for NOT what to do.I will even say that I sure that happens too.But Charlotte adopted the exact same model as Atlanta did.We can do it!You guys read Atlantas playbook to a tea not you wanna act like you got your own plans without looking around elsewhere.Yeah right,WHATEVER.
I see more tags from North Carolina than any other state o any given day.Most of the time its Mecklenburg County.

Charlotte has nowhere near the capacity to shoot for the conventions Atlanta can get(and gets often).Charlotte cannot get the amount of people that come to Atlanta to even fill a convention center the size of the Georgia World Congress Center if it had one that size.1.5 million Square feet.Charlotte Convention Center is 280,000 sq ft.(much smaller than the size of the World Congress center when it opened 35 years ago in 1976).The world congress Center is 1.5million sq ft

Charlotte can barely compete with Savannah head to head,but NOT Atlanta.Savannah International Convention Center is 330,000 sq ft.
I take a little of that back.Charlotte competes on a lower level just like Nashville or Tampa competes with Atlanta.Mostly on a regional level.Atlanta competes with Montreal,Vancouver,Toronto,Chicago,Mexico City,Miami.More on an international level.No one is looking at Charlotte like they do these cities.That is on an international level.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I keep trying to avoid you so bad but its like you say stuff that you want me to speak on!
Charlotte people have talked themselves into believing that they got where they are looking to Atlanta for NOT what to do.I will even say that I sure that happens too.But Charlotte adopted the exact same model as Atlanta did.We can do it!You guys read Atlantas playbook to a tea not you wanna act like you got your own plans without looking around elsewhere.Yeah right,WHATEVER.
I see more tags from North Carolina than any other state o any given day.Most of the time its Mecklenburg County.

Charlotte has nowhere near the capacity to shoot for the conventions Atlanta can get(and gets often).Charlotte cannot get the amount of people that come to Atlanta to even fill a convention center the size of the Georgia World Congress Center if it had one that size.1.5 million Square feet.Charlotte Convention Center is 280,000 sq ft.(much smaller than the size of the World Congress center when it opened 35 years ago in 1976).The world congress Center is 1.5million sq ft

Charlotte can barely compete with Savannah head to head,but NOT Atlanta.Savannah International Convention Center is 330,000 sq ft.
I take a little of that back.Charlotte competes on a lower level just like Nashville or Tampa competes with Atlanta.Mostly on a regional level.Atlanta competes with Montreal,Vancouver,Toronto,Chicago,Mexico City,Miami.More on an international level.No one is looking at Charlotte like they do these cities.That is on an international level.

This is so true all of it is.. Charlotte is still trying to get National recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City