Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
NEW YORK CITY 146 48.03%
MIAMI 158 51.97%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,983 times

Advertisements

Well, I like the four seasons, so this a no-brainer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 04:26 PM

353 posts, read 816,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I meant straight precipitation like 2 mostly rainy days. Plus the forecast for 1/3 & 1/4 is only a 30% chance which means it'll most likely not even happen. I've lived here for a long time and outside of 2 very odd weeks in June 2009 I've never experienced anything remotely close to what you described. I've never experienced multiple days of constant precipitation in my life, I see the sun very often. I'm sorry but NYC is NOT a city that's mostly cloudy.

I wish I was in Miami right now though, I hate the cold more than anyone else lol. The only season I like here is Summer, while I like all seasons in Miami.
Nothing Like New York City, but do not be fooled Miami can get cold weather spells...

Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
I stand by what I say, NYC is a very cloudy city.
Well in terms of climate data…that is an absurd statement…

A cloudy city. Compared to what? Miami, San Diego, Tucson? Of course NYC gets less sun than places in the subtropics (so do half the cities in the World). That doesn’t make NYC even close to being a cloudy city. Your broad-brush statement means nothing in scientific terms. Also, the above poster is right…NYC receives MORE hours of sunshine than Miami in the summer, due to the Florida tropical rainy season.

It’s obvious that you have not traveled a great deal or have ever lived in a place that is climatically a cloudy location…like Melbourne, Australia, London, and Seattle…etc. Spend a winter in London or Paris and get back to me...

Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 PM

140 posts, read 231,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Well in terms of climate data…that is an absurd statement…

A cloudy city. Compared to what? Miami, San Diego, Tucson? Of course NYC gets less sun than places in the subtropics (so do half the cities in the World). That doesn’t make NYC even close to being a cloudy city. Your broad-brush statement means nothing in scientific terms. Also, the above poster is right…NYC receives MORE hours of sunshine than Miami in the summer, due to the Florida tropical rainy season.

It’s obvious that you have not traveled a great deal or have ever lived in a place that is climatically a cloudy location…like Melbourne, Australia, London, and Seattle…etc. Spend a winter in London or Paris and get back to me...
Actually, I've done quite a lot of traveling. I haven't been to London, but I have been to Paris [ not in the winter though]. I went there a few summers in August and it was the hottest, sunniest summer I have ever experienced short of Marrakech from where I just came back in October. In fact, Paris was unbearably hot and sunny. There was not a cloud in the sky or a drop of rain in the two weeks that I was there. Nothing but unbearably hot blaring sun. If that summer was representative of Paris summers, then their summer is sunnier than the typical NYC summer. It's hotter too, but not as humid. In fact, it wasn't humid at all, just very hot.

I've been to Miami and NYC. The typical NYC weather pattern is that when it percipitates, it rains on and off, usually all day, sometimes into the next day and at times it could go into the third day. I'm not saying 24 straight hours, but on and off drizzling. In Miami, you often get a brief thunderstorm followed by the sun that dries everything out after the storm. While I am not saying that there is no sun in NYC, most days in NYC are marred by at least partial cloud cover.

I'm writing to you from NYC at this moment. Right now its night time, but, today, during the day, there was no sun at all, just very low cloud covering. It was very gloomy all day. Yesterday was cloudy too. By the way, did you see the New Year's Celebration at Times Square from NYC? It was raining that day all day. Actually, it started out as snow and ended up as rain. A few days before Christmas, there was also a snow storm. NYC got 14 inches of snow and there was no sun all day.

You seem to think that every depends on a comparison. So I ask, because NYC is not as cloudy as London, or Portland Oregan does it mean that it is not cloudy? Because Miami summers are not as hot and steamy as Equitorial New Guinea summers, does that mean that Miami summers are not hot and steamy in the summer?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That's what I like about Florida's heat, it lasts long, its also better for my asthma and allergies when its hot and humid, that's a big reason why Summer is my favorite season (other than the fact that I like heat lol), I always get sick when Fall comes and when Spring is just starting.

Yes me as well. When Cold Fronts come through my asthma acts up. I prefer heat and humidity year round. I Dread november - april!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
Actually, I've done quite a lot of traveling. I haven't been to London, but I have been to Paris [ not in the winter though]. I went there a few summers in August and it was the hottest, sunniest summer I have ever experienced short of Marrakech from where I just came back in October. In fact, Paris was unbearably hot and sunny. There was not a cloud in the sky or a drop of rain in the two weeks that I was there. Nothing but unbearably hot blaring sun. If that summer was representative of Paris summers, then their summer is sunnier than the typical NYC summer. It's hotter too, but not as humid. In fact, it wasn't humid at all, just very hot.

I've been to Miami and NYC. The typical NYC weather pattern is that when it percipitates, it rains on and off, usually all day, sometimes into the next day and at times it could go into the third day. I'm not saying 24 straight hours, but on and off drizzling. In Miami, you often get a brief thunderstorm followed by the sun that dries everything out after the storm. While I am not saying that there is no sun in NYC, most days in NYC are marred by at least partial cloud cover.

I'm writing to you from NYC at this moment. Right now its night time, but, today, during the day, there was no sun at all, just very low cloud covering. It was very gloomy all day. Yesterday was cloudy too. By the way, did you see the New Year's Celebration at Times Square from NYC? It was raining that day all day. Actually, it started out as snow and ended up as rain. A few days before Christmas, there was also a snow storm. NYC got 14 inches of snow and there was no sun all day.

You seem to think that every depends on a comparison. So I ask, because NYC is not as cloudy as London, or Portland Oregan does it mean that it is not cloudy? Because Miami summers are not as hot and steamy as Equitorial New Guinea summers, does that mean that Miami summers are not hot and steamy in the summer?
I don’t know where to start (lol).

Lets deal with Paris first.

Paris has a cool oceanic summer climate…NYC has hot humid summer climate. If you experienced a heat wave in Paris (very rare!) that was a huge anomaly. I have been to Paris in “July “several times…and had to wear a light jacket by late afternoon (try that in NYC in June – September- lol). Here is a comparison of summer mean temps in NYC and Paris (add about 10 F for the highs/subtract about 10 F for the lows):

NYC (Central Park) National Weather Service Climate

June: 72 F
July: 77 F
Aug: 75 F
September: 68 F

PARIS PARIS/LE BOURGET, FRANCE Weather History and Climate Data

June: 62 F
July: 66 F
Aug: 64 F
September: 59 F

In EVREY SINGLE SUMMER MONTH…NYC is 10 F WARMER than Paris. Keep in mind these are averages. Many summers NYC will see bouts of temps near 90 F (or over) typical of humid temperate lowland climates…while Paris sees far fewer heat waves because the climate is much more affected by the cool air mass coming off the Atlantic. Paris has a chilly summer climate compared to NYC.

Sunshine? NYC (41 latitude) is 600 miles further south than Paris (49 latitude). So not only is NYC warmer in summer, but the sun is stronger than up in Paris. Paris is a temperate oceanic climate…which is among the cloudiest types of climates on earth. Paris in summer is less sunny than NYC. You cannot base “one visit” to Paris and say it is typical of the climate. The heat wave in Paris in 2008 was a rare event. EVERY SUMMER NYC has weeks on end that hit 80 to 90 F .

The comparison between NYC rainfall and Miami rainfall is obvious: Of course typical rainfall in Miami is convective and brief…you’re in the tropics. Also, that pattern of rainfall is not typical of tropical south Florida in summer. Many days will have on and off rain showers during the tropical rainy season . I have lived in south Florida and the Tri – State area…and summers have more rainfall in Florida than in the Tri-State area. We even would get mold in Florida in summer because of all the wetness. Now when the USA is deep in its summer pattern…MOST locations in the eastern USA have the typical warm/hot days followed by brief late day thunderstorms. NYC has no different than Atlanta, Richmond, Philly, Washington, DC...etc in brief late day summer thunderstorms...it goes with the sultury summers and southerly flow out of the Bermuda High in the Eastern USA.

Finally…to say that the last few days in the NYC area were overcast is disingenuous (sorry). A storm just passed off the East Coast over the last few days…hence it was cloudy. I am in the NYC area right now too…and there is not a cloud in the sky and the sun is burning through the south facing windows like a ball of fire. The next FIVE DAYS in NYC will see partly sunny to mostly sunny skies with NO PRECIPATION expected. Let’s at least hype the NYC climate both ways…

You see to have an “issue” with NYC weather, trying to bend it into something that it clearly is not. Which is fine, I realize many in the Eastern USA were disappointed with the cool/cloudy April – October in 2008 (the coolest/cloudiest in 58 years in NYC, Baltimore, Philly…etc). However, as a person who has studied climate for many years I can say with great certainty… that hype and misinformation has destroyed most Americans understanding of climate and science. Too much Weather Channel talk show hype for marketing reasons

NYC is a not even close to a cloudy climate… It has much hotter summers than Paris…it gets less rainfall had has just as much sunshine as Miami in summer…etc. Those facts are based on long term climate data…not based on a single anomaly, rare year…or hype.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:23 PM

140 posts, read 231,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I don’t know where to start (lol).

Lets deal with Paris first.

Paris has a cool oceanic summer climate…NYC has hot humid summer climate. If you experienced a heat wave in Paris (very rare!) that was a huge anomaly. I have been to Paris in “July “several times…and had to wear a light jacket by late afternoon (try that in NYC in June – September- lol). Here is a comparison of summer mean temps in NYC and Paris (add about 10 F for the highs/subtract about 10 F for the lows):

NYC (Central Park) National Weather Service Climate

June: 72 F
July: 77 F
Aug: 75 F
September: 68 F

PARIS PARIS/LE BOURGET, FRANCE Weather History and Climate Data

June: 62 F
July: 66 F
Aug: 64 F
September: 59 F

In EVREY SINGLE SUMMER MONTH…NYC is 10 F WARMER than Paris. Keep in mind these are averages. Many summers NYC will see bouts of temps near 90 F (or over) typical of humid temperate lowland climates…while Paris sees far fewer heat waves because the climate is much more affected by the cool air mass coming off the Atlantic. Paris has a chilly summer climate compared to NYC.

Sunshine? NYC (41 latitude) is 600 miles further south than Paris (49 latitude). So not only is NYC warmer in summer, but the sun is stronger than up in Paris. Paris is a temperate oceanic climate…which is among the cloudiest types of climates on earth. Paris in summer is less sunny than NYC. You cannot base “one visit” to Paris and say it is typical of the climate. The heat wave in Paris in 2008 was a rare event. EVERY SUMMER NYC has weeks on end that hit 80 to 90 F .

The comparison between NYC rainfall and Miami rainfall is obvious: Of course typical rainfall in Miami is convective and brief…you’re in the tropics. Also, that pattern of rainfall is not typical of tropical south Florida in summer. Many days will have on and off rain showers during the tropical rainy season . I have lived in south Florida and the Tri – State area…and summers have more rainfall in Florida than in the Tri-State area. We even would get mold in Florida in summer because of all the wetness. Now when the USA is deep in its summer pattern…MOST locations in the eastern USA have the typical warm/hot days followed by brief late day thunderstorms. NYC has no different than Atlanta, Richmond, Philly, Washington, DC...etc in brief late day summer thunderstorms...it goes with the sultury summers and southerly flow out of the Bermuda High in the Eastern USA.

Finally…to say that the last few days in the NYC area were overcast is disingenuous (sorry). A storm just passed off the East Coast over the last few days…hence it was cloudy. I am in the NYC area right now too…and there is not a cloud in the sky and the sun is burning through the south facing windows like a ball of fire. The next FIVE DAYS in NYC will see partly sunny to mostly sunny skies with NO PRECIPATION expected. Let’s at least hype the NYC climate both ways…

You see to have an “issue” with NYC weather, trying to bend it into something that it clearly is not. Which is fine, I realize many in the Eastern USA were disappointed with the cool/cloudy April – October in 2008 (the coolest/cloudiest in 58 years in NYC, Baltimore, Philly…etc). However, as a person who has studied climate for many years I can say with great certainty… that hype and misinformation has destroyed most Americans understanding of climate and science. Too much Weather Channel talk show hype for marketing reasons

NYC is a not even close to a cloudy climate… It has much hotter summers than Paris…it gets less rainfall had has just as much sunshine as Miami in summer…etc. Those facts are based on long term climate data…not based on a single anomaly, rare year…or hype.
My, you seem rather passionate, I would say emotional about this. LOL. I thought that I made it pretty clear that I was not trying to present my one visit to Paris as a generalizaition, but rather as my personal experience, so I don't know why you imply otherwise? That said, Parisians have traditionally abandoned Paris in the summer months because it gets "too hot," their words not mine.

While Paris is 600 miles north of NYC, "as a person who has studied climate for many years," you should know that latitude is not the only determinant of how much sun or cloud cover an area receives. There is also the issue of ocean and land air currents. NYC happens to be in a region of unsettled air currents that collide with each other, i.e. cold dry air currents from Canada, warm air currents from the Carribean,
moist air off the Atlantic, etc.. while Paris is land-locked. Conversely, just for the record, NYC is colder than Paris in the winter, despite it's lower latitude.

You say that the heatwave of 2008 in Paris was a rare event, well, apparently its not that rare, because I went to Paris in the summer of 2001, August to be exact.

Finally, I'm not going to get into a discussion with you about the burning sun through your south window that burns like a ball of fire, all that I will say is that we must live in two different NYC's because I did not see a burning sun this morning as I went out into the street.

I wish that I had, so that it could have warmed the frigid, ice-covered streets a bit.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
^^^What part of NYC are you in?

In Southeast Queens it was sunny all day and the streets weren't ice covered (when's the last time it rained?).

Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Yes me as well. When Cold Fronts come through my asthma acts up. I prefer heat and humidity year round. I Dread november - april!
Me too, I dread October - April as well, I think it's a shame that it's only nice for 1.5 seasons here, I can't wait to live somewhere with a longer hot & humid period and cold-less Winter.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM

160 posts, read 498,792 times
Well having been born in NYC and lived in Florida I would say Miami hands down.

Months in NJ/NYC based on personal expierence:

October through May is cold, rainy, snowy, and overall bad weather. June through September is hot/warm, and it rains for half the summer which cuts the days you can go to the beach down even further, this is the nicest part of the year.

In Miami October through April is considered nice, it is the dry season and not oppressivley hot but it is warm and you can go to the beach. May though September is humid, and hot and considered bad, but you can still go outside and to the beach.

So In comparison you can go outside 12 months of the year in Miami without being cold versus 4 in NYC/NJ.

In NYC there are 8 bad months vs. 5 bad months in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City