Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,142,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Yes, fortunately Albuquerque wasn't built on the same principles as Phoenix so I doubt that will ever happen.
It is already happening.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It is already happening.
Yep. From 35,000 feet, it looks exactly like a small version of Phoenix.

The sprawl spreading out to the West from ABQ is frankly a little scary to see from the air. It looks like way too much for a city of that size.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:17 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
I personally don't believe there are boring cities. Every city isn't for everyone. I can only speek about my experience in St. Louis, Durham and Charlotte Nc, Memphis and Chicago.

St. Louis like many rust belt cities appear to be dull but when looking beyond the crumbling infrustructure you will find a city with plenty of culture and awsome neighborhoods. If your looking for a beach or mountains or excitement and liberation of La or New York you will be disappointed.

Durham was kind of boring however I met many people that made the city interesting. Definatly not a big city but it was ok. Charlotte didn't have much to offer on the scale of other cities but it was a very good city for meeting people.

Memphis wasn't a boring city. It wasn't a city to move to single without knowing anyone. Very closed minded and culturally challenged people. But the city did have lots to do.

Chicago is a great city. Not a boring city at all. If your from a rural area or heavily southern city you probably won't adjust. Chicago is an agressive place for aggressive people.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:15 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,182 times
Quote:
It is already happening.
LOL, where do you plan on moving then? LOL
Yes, that's too bad, I would hope they wouldn't follow Phoenix but if they are then soon you will just have to get out the old beige blocker shades. It works, it brings a lot of transplants in to a city, it just doesn't seem to keep them there very long. They move on>>>>>

Old 10-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
LOL, where do you plan on moving then? LOL
Yes, that's too bad, I would hope they wouldn't follow Phoenix but if they are then soon you will just have to get out the old beige blocker shades. It works, it brings a lot of transplants in to a city, it just doesn't seem to keep them there very long. They move on>>>>>
What are you trying to imply?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
Miami is the most boring city in the US.
Spending your life having sex with beautiful women and doing nothing else is really boring after several years of it... I want some culture! Give me an art museum!
This made me spit out my coffee at my desk, I love it, you kind of rock.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,024,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
It's funny how many people don't like Phoenix and can't give you a reason. To some it just gauls them that Phoenix has become a major city. It bothers them that so many people like Phoenix and continue to move there. To a person that considers El Paso a better city you have to take anything they say with a grain of salt.

first of all, I have listed many reasons in the past on why I dont like Phoenix and I never said El Paso was a better city, its just that I like it better.

and it dont bother me at all that people move to Phoenix and it has turned into a major city(if you can call it that), better there than here, I already said that if Albuquerque turned into a Phoenix I would move.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
Miami is the most boring city in the US.
Spending your life having sex with beautiful women and doing nothing else is really boring after several years of it... I want some culture! Give me an art museum!

I'll take that life

Old 10-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
It is already happening.
yeah it is happening, but we are still a mid sized city so its not bad, the neighborhoods may sprawl on the western side of the city but ABQ's main roads have everything you need on one stretch of road, you dont have to hop across the city to go to one place or the other. ABQ is alot more compact.

and for some reason the ex-mayor was all into making us a Portland type place with public transportation and adding lofts downtown and all that but he allows sprawl to keep extending, for some reason ABQ dosent build up and this is where the modeling of PHX comes in, its weird.

our downtown sucks btw

Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
yeah it is happening, but we are still a mid sized city so its not bad, the neighborhoods may sprawl on the western side of the city but ABQ's main roads have everything you need on one stretch of road, you dont have to hop across the city to go to one place or the other. ABQ is alot more compact.

and for some reason the ex-mayor was all into making us a Portland type place with public transportation and adding lofts downtown and all that but he allows sprawl to keep extending, for some reason ABQ dosent build up and this is where the modeling of PHX comes in, its weird.

our downtown sucks btw
Don't you just hate some city leaders?? JK...

Well, according to Bradly, Rio Rancho is going to build up more, but it's nearly 30 mins (or more) away from downtown. Isn't the light-rail or modern streetcar still in the works for ABQ? You do have the new hotel and convention center coming (like Tucson) still, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City