Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Why the hurt feelings? I've seen you say you love your "sleepy little burgh".
Hurt feelings? That's Oakland's modus operandi. Everyone's out to get you....

Old 03-08-2013, 05:41 PM

353 posts, read 656,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
He basically does that to most if not all the cities in the sunbelt.
You're probably right but Phoenix has become the favorite whipping boy of hipsters.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How does that make a place boring? And one could say this about several other cities that aren't being mentioned.

To be fair, I can see why Charlotte is being mentioned--to an extent. It's not a tourist-driven place, and most who've visited have probably never ventured beyond Uptown. It's not a place where you can just wander aimlessly within the urban core and run into many interesting things. However, living there is a much different experience and I had lots to do when I did live there. From a visitor's perspective, I think the city is best experienced with someone who lives there or who knows the city.
100% agree. I visited a friend in Charlotte when I still lived in Little Rock. When I visited, I really didn't think Charlotte was that great. I liked it better than Little Rock but it wasn't a place that I fell in love with. I ended up moving to Charlotte a few weeks later due to unforeseen circumstances. Once I lived there and started to learn more about the city and the things there are to do there, I did fall in love with it, and wish I still lived there.

I get the feeling on this site a lot of people like to live in touristy places. Many touristy cities are awesome, but a city doesn't have to be touristy to be a fun place to live.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
I think specific cities' reputation is solely based upon a tourist stand-point.

If one person doesn't like it, it's boring just because they found nothing that interest them. However, another person could absolutely love it because the tourist attractions that are there suit them.

I think it's pretty clear which cities should be visited judging ones personal preferance in terms of things to do. Hundrends of night clubs and bars do not make a city any better than a city with multiple parks.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax-phx View Post
you're probably right but phoenix has become the favorite whipping boy of rational people.

ftfy

Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 AM

353 posts, read 656,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
ftfy
Very clever. I must concede natininja. I rarely see anyone in the Phoenix area from the Cincinnati area or from anywhere in Ohio for that matter. (Except for the entire side of my mother's family and every other person I meet on the street.) However, I can't tell you how many times I hear people in the Phoenix area who dream of moving to Cincinnati. Touche. You win.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Dallas and Phoenix

Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Dallas and Phoenix
Dallas, is a lot of things, boring it isn't.

I also don't buy Phoenix as being boring. It's too big and too many things to do outdoors.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:20 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Minneapolis. Nothing but chains and vanilla personalities.
I'll give you the strange personalities, but Chains??? Maybe in the burbs but in the core cities not so much.

My take to the original theme of the thread. I think that nationally some cities are given very zealous press so you expect a whole hell of a lot more too them, but when you get there its a huge disappointment (kinda like Dwight Howard with the Magic, vs the Lakers, or Ben Affleck in "Good Will Hunting" vs "Reindeer Games", or Hollywood Blvd (on TV) vs Hollywood Blvd (live in person), or Eddie Murphy in the 80s vs Eddie Murphy in the 90s, 00s, 10s. I mean why else would people move or visit there right?

Disclaimer: I am a resident of the Twin Cities (Minneapolis). I think it is a great city but does have areas upon which improvements can be made. Therefore me being a resident of Minneapolis does not mean in any way shape form or fashion that I think other cities are "lame, stupid, sucky, derelict, indigent, unprofessional, unkempt, uppity, dweebs, mush-mouths, alfalfa's, dirty Susan's, dirtbags, rake's or roustabout's."

Last edited by sandlapper; 03-09-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
I'm just going to quote this and save myself the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphx View Post
Phoenix, Arizona and any city in Central Valley, California (Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto) are easily the most boring cities in the Western Hemisphere. You could throw Salt Lake City in there as well.

What makes Phoenix so boring is that it is considered a large city, but really feels more like a giant suburban area. It's a city of neverending strip malls that all look the same, and it completely lacks in walkable neighborhoods. The music scene here (for me) completely sucks. Most of my favorite bands skip this area. There really is nothing to do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City