Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't think Charlotte is boring at all. I can see why it wouldn't be an attractive tourist destination though. There is enough tourist attractions to keep one busy in their free time if they happen to be there but it's not a city to go out of your way to vacation in, with an exception being NASCAR fans. It's a great living and working city. Charleston and Savannah are better vacation cities.
Those cities tourist amenities are completely different than Charlotte's.

From a family stand-point, Charlotte is definitely up there.

Top 10 Spring Break Destinations for Families, 2013: Quick Getaways - Charlotte, NC | Livability

Old 03-08-2013, 04:14 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphx View Post
Phoenix, Arizona and any city in Central Valley, California (Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto) are easily the most boring cities in the Western Hemisphere. You could throw Salt Lake City in there as well.

What makes Phoenix so boring is that it is considered a large city, but really feels more like a giant suburban area. It's a city of neverending strip malls that all look the same, and it completely lacks in walkable neighborhoods. The music scene here (for me) completely sucks. Most of my favorite bands skip this area. There really is nothing to do here.

I lived in Fresno and I would just say it's a smaller version of Phoenix.

I have also lived in Missoula and Portland in the PacNW, and even though Missoula is a small town, it has a lot more going on than Fresno or Phoenix. Portland is unbeatable in this crowd, and easily my favorite city along with Seattle and San Francisco.
I have heard that Tempe is the focus for college students and twenty somethings (obviously with ASU) and Scottsdale draws the affluent 30+ crowd. That does not leave much for Phoenix and the sprawly mini mall atmosphere probably does not help.

I imagine the one positive would be having the Suns NBA team and Diamondback MLB teams (the other two play in Glendale).

Old 03-08-2013, 04:18 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,081 times
Phoenix Arizona. For the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I disagree on that entirely. Michelle Branch, Blessthefall, The Format, Jimmy Eat World, and Primus just to name a few. Keep in mind that good music and famous people come from ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE. Sure actual local scene in Phoenix may be lacking, as many of the aforementioned bands have moved to places where there's more money to be made (i.e. Los Angeles), but it bugs me when people say that places have bad music like that when really no one chooses where they're from, or their talents for that matter.

I am going to agree, however, that Phoenix is an awfully boring city, it's pretty much everything that sucks about LA thrown into one valley. Even with it's proximity to Sedona and the Grand Canyon or what not, that doesn't do it justice. Tucson believe it or not seems to have more variety in terms of local businesses and restaurants.
At least LA has close proximity to the Pacific coast, too. It is much closer to the ocean (15-20 miles) than Phoenix is to those two places.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM

353 posts, read 656,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Phoenix Arizona. For the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.
Have you ever spent much time in Phoenix Hip? Ever been to Scottsdale or Tempe? May not be the most exciting city in the country but it's far from the most boring. There's much more going on than a lot of people think. I've spent a lot of time in your area and Manhattan Beach reminds me of Tempe by the ocean. People are entitled to their opinions but the one poster said Missoula freaking Montana was more exciting than Phoenix. Come on!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:36 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,650 times
Phoenix, Charlotte, Houston, Jacksonville.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Charlotte! One of the most boring cities on all of America. Everything there can be found somewhere else. I have never been to a city where the people get excited over a Carowinds and NFL team.
How does that make a place boring? And one could say this about several other cities that aren't being mentioned.

To be fair, I can see why Charlotte is being mentioned--to an extent. It's not a tourist-driven place, and most who've visited have probably never ventured beyond Uptown. It's not a place where you can just wander aimlessly within the urban core and run into many interesting things. However, living there is a much different experience and I had lots to do when I did live there. From a visitor's perspective, I think the city is best experienced with someone who lives there or who knows the city.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
People are entitled to their opinions but the one poster said Missoula freaking Montana was more exciting than Phoenix. Come on!
It's true though.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM

353 posts, read 656,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's true though.
No offense Vlajos but you don't have much credibility. You jump on any thread you can to spew your hate towards Phoenix. We get it. You don't like Phoenix. To each his own. I just don't get why it angers you so much that some people like Phoenix. It's not enough to agree to disagree. You have to circle back and personally attack anyone that likes Phoenix.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
No offense Vlajos but you don't have much credibility. You jump on any thread you can to spew your hate towards Phoenix. We get it. You don't like Phoenix. To each his own. I just don't get why it angers you so much that some people like Phoenix. It's not enough to agree to disagree. You have to circle back and personally attack anyone that likes Phoenix.
He basically does that to most if not all the cities in the sunbelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.