Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 04:38 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I don't doubt that and I quite agree but the thread says 'boring large city' -- already subjective and I've found Seattle to be quite boring. Not sure what constitutes 'large' in this thread anyways, it was never stipulated. I'm guess anything over 500K?

So in that, I've been to

L.A.
San Diego
San Francisco
Phoenix
Tuscon
Las Vegas
Denver
Chicago
D.C.
NYC
Philly
Portland, OR
Seattle
Boston

Of the West Coast 'large' cities, Portland is one of my favorites if not the favorite. Well Fresno, CA population is nearing 500K, if it goes over, I'll replace Seattle with Fresno.
Really, you found Seattle to be more boring than Phoenix, Tucson, and Denver? To each his own, I guess. I've lived in Tucson, Phoenix, and Seattle and find Seattle has way more to do on almost every front (except for swimming or other warm-weather related activities). Personally, I'd put Seattle in the top 12 in the country for cities that are least boring. Also, Portland is a great city, but not sure what makes it any more exciting than Seattle.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Really, you found Seattle to be more boring than Phoenix, Tucson, and Denver? To each his own, I guess. I've lived in Tucson, Phoenix, and Seattle and find Seattle has way more to do on almost every front (except for swimming or other warm-weather related activities). Personally, I'd put Seattle in the top 12 in the country for cities that are least boring. Also, Portland is a great city, but not sure what makes it any more exciting than Seattle.
Yep, weird isn't it? Spent a week in Seattle and I was bored, well not the whole time but it got boring quick -- I don't recall being that bored in the other cities I've been to, maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps I need someone else to show me around -- but funny enough, I was with the same people when I was in Portland. Portland for me, just has a better food and coffee culture, best city for coffee I've ever been to; the art scene (which is subjective, I know) too, I find, more appealing -- leaps and bounds -- than Seattle.

But I'll give Seattle this, if I'm looking to buy a rug, I'll go look in Seattle.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Actually, Primus is based in San Francisco.
Sorry, I was thinking of The Refreshments, who wrote the King of the Hill theme song. Primus wrote South Park's theme song, that's probably why I had them confused.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:10 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Yep, weird isn't it? Spent a week in Seattle and I was bored, well not the whole time but it got boring quick -- I don't recall being that bored in the other cities I've been to, maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps I need someone else to show me around -- but funny enough, I was with the same people when I was in Portland. Portland for me, just has a better food and coffee culture, best city for coffee I've ever been to; the art scene (which is subjective, I know) too, I find, more appealing -- leaps and bounds -- than Seattle.

But I'll give Seattle this, if I'm looking to buy a rug, I'll go look in Seattle.
You sound like you are bored everywhere. Now tell us which city you were the LEAST bored in.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
Let's follow the thread, shall we? I said I found Seattle to be boring. Relegate asks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
What cities have you been to? Seattle may be boring compared to NYC or Las Vegas, but it has a lot more to do and a lot more cool areas than most cities in this country.
I replied:

Quote:
I don't doubt that and I quite agree but the thread says 'boring large city' -- already subjective and I've found Seattle to be quite boring. Not sure what constitutes 'large' in this thread anyways, it was never stipulated. I'm guess anything over 500K?

So in that, I've been to

L.A.
San Diego
San Francisco
Phoenix
Tuscon
Las Vegas
Denver
Chicago
D.C.
NYC
Philly
Portland, OR
Seattle
Boston

Of the West Coast 'large' cities, Portland is one of my favorites if not the favorite. Well Fresno, CA population is nearing 500K, if it goes over, I'll replace Seattle with Fresno.
orzo asks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I replied:

Quote:

[Err, underlined part, what I meant to say was that the people I was with in Seattle might have had something to do with that.]

Your reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
You sound like you are bored everywhere. Now tell us which city you were the LEAST bored in.
Not really sure how you were reading it but it's there in plain English. Not exactly sure how you concluded your inquiry based on what you put in bold either.

The title of this thread is "What is the most boring large city in the United States". I stated Seattle, somehow to you that meant everywhere else that I've been to? Didn't realize Seattle had such significance as to what is not boring and how that it's indicative of my experience past, present, or future.

Oh mighty Seattle, thou hast impaired me forever!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I finally understand where you are coming from Metro's instead of "Cities" I'm talking about "Cities Proper" which is like comparing Apples and Pineapples....
Yep. I specified "most populated metro areas" in the message of mine you were quoting.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Yep. I specified "most populated metro areas" in the message of mine you were quoting.
Sorry for quoting myself. It's apparently too late to edit the post.

The reason I used metro areas, is that tends to be what people think of when they think of largest cities. If we define "large city" by the cities proper, without suburbs, then you have weird things like San Antonio and San Jose in the Top 10, and Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Columbus, El Paso, and Memphis in the top 20.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:17 PM

358 posts, read 754,731 times
Dallas
Indianapolis
San Antonio
OKC
Jacksonville

Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 PM

358 posts, read 754,731 times
Quote:
Yep, weird isn't it? Spent a week in Seattle and I was bored, well not the whole time but it got boring quick -- I don't recall being that bored in the other cities I've been to, maybe that has something to do with it.
I totally get what you are saying. Been to Seattle many times and I just don't have fun when I'm there. Maybe it's the people?? Nightlife blows unless you are into irish pubs and the like. For a big city, it seems so quiet, reserved, ie boring. Just checked and its only 54 degrees right now in the middle of the day. It's late June!! I guarantee if I were there now I'd be bored once again.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 AM

189 posts, read 399,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAirTraffic View Post
Every city in NE Ohio. There is seriously NOTHING to do here, and all our cities are nothing but decaying office buildings. (Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown...) The only thing there is to do here is laugh about how pathetically boring and dull it is.
Umm, what? We have a great lake, some of the best parks in the country (including a national park), every major concert comes through the region, the 2nd largest theatre district in the country, a ton of museums, constant festivals, one of the best amusement parks in the world, three major league sports, a great up-and-coming dining scene...

Have you ever actually traveled outside the region to compare? We actually have a lot more going on than a lot of places in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City