Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MOST IMPORTANT CITY IN THE SOUTH?Economics,Culture,History,Future,Globally connected. etc..
Dallas 13 15.66%
Charlotte 4 4.82%
Atlanta 39 46.99%
Houston 25 30.12%
Miami 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
As far as transportation...Houston will never catch up to Atlanta with LRT lines. Even Dallas, with all of it's new lines, has about 1/4 of Atlanta's daily ridership. LRT is fine, but it just usually doesn't have the capacity of heavy rail.
Especially considering that Houston has a much larger sq mileage then at Atlanta. I think the city has the resource and interest to eventually raise METRO to the level of Atlanta's LRT, but it will be a long time before that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 06:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
As far as transportation...Houston will never catch up to Atlanta with LRT lines. Even Dallas, with all of it's new lines, has about 1/4 of Atlanta's daily ridership. LRT is fine, but it just usually doesn't have the capacity of heavy rail.
But Houston's Metro has a higher daily ridership than Atlanta's MARTA, unless you were just specifically talking about rail being transportation.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:17 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Especially considering that Houston has a much larger sq mileage then at Atlanta. I think the city has the resource and interest to eventually raise METRO to the level of Atlanta's LRT, but it will be a long time before that happens.
That's the thing...Atlanta doesn't have LRT at the moment, but has heavy rail - MARTA. It carries many more passengers than the standard LRT systems.

I'm sure that Houston will expand it's system and it will eventually be a very nice addition to the city, and LRT is better than no rail transit...of course. Atlanta is planning LRT with the Beltline Project that will circle the city. It will be a nice alternative and will connect with MARTA, but I doubt that it will carry anywhere near the number of passenger that MARTA carries.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
But Houston's Metro has a higher daily ridership than Atlanta's MARTA, unless you were just specifically talking about rail being transportation.
Yes, the discussion was about rail transportation.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:20 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I read about Metro studying the feasibility of heavy rail from somewhere inside 610 to somewhere possibly in Ft. Bend, Pearland or Katy. Don't remember the specifics or whatever happened to the idea.

But there is no way that the Metro Rail alone can compete with the Marta train simply because it's Light rail vs. Heavy.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
The Light Rail is the correct system to run inside the loop. However, it's the wrong system if you want to run it from Katy to Downtown. Heavy Rail will come to Houston but it is decades down the road.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Is public transportation the only thing Atlanta is clearly better than Houston in?

Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I read about Metro studying the feasibility of heavy rail from somewhere inside 610 to somewhere possibly in Ft. Bend, Pearland or Katy. Don't remember the specifics or whatever happened to the idea.

But there is no way that the Metro Rail alone can compete with the Marta train simply because it's Light rail vs. Heavy.
Commuter rail. The city is really only using LRT for the city limits; heavy rail will most likely be used for the suburbs.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
I also hear they plan to extend the rail down Alabama to get to U of H. How does this affect TSU or it just talk?

Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Is public transportation the only thing Atlanta is clearly better than Houston in?
Who are you asking...me? It's the only thing being discussed at the moment. We aren't ALL about constantly trying to make sure our city is in first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City