Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times

Advertisements

Some sources I've read indicate Modesto and Stockton are the worst California cities. Any accuracy to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
East St. Louis, Alton or Cairo in Illinois.

Gary in Indiana

Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Some sources I've read indicate Modesto and Stockton are the worst California cities. Any accuracy to that?
I know both of these are now considered commuter suburbs to the Bay Area. Modesto used to have a decent reputation, but not sure how things are there now.

My friends that live in the L.A. & Bay Areas don't seem to think too highly of Fresno & Bakersfield. I've never been to either, so it would not be fair of me to judge them.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Fresno seems like it gets bashed most of the California towns, at least from my perspective.

For NC, someone mentioned Morganton; not sure how much truth there is to that. But from my experience, the city that gets very little love and is treated like the red-headed stepchild of the state is Fayetteville.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:53 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
The Golden Triangle in Southeast Texas. It's really the embarrassment of the entire country but sadly it's in Texas so we have to claim it.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:10 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The Golden Triangle in Southeast Texas. It's really the embarrassment of the entire country but sadly it's in Texas so we have to claim it.
I've never heard of this, but I'm assuming it may be the Beaumont/ Port Arthur region?

Old 10-18-2009, 03:24 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Fresno seems like it gets bashed most of the California towns, at least from my perspective.

For NC, someone mentioned Morganton; not sure how much truth there is to that. But from my experience, the city that gets very little love and is treated like the red-headed stepchild of the state is Fayetteville.
Fresno did get listed dead last in the "America's Smartest Cities" list, for what it's worth (probably not much). I had relatives who lived in Fresno a while back and I didn't think it was *that* bad. I've seen a lot worse. It just seemed like an average city to me. But that was years ago. Maybe it has changed.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:26 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
El Paso isn't embarrassing, it is just kind of ignored all together compared to the other major cities.

Sadly this is true....

which is a shame- I love EP and I think it should be given more credit and have more prominence in Texas politics, news, events, etc

Old 10-18-2009, 03:30 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
I live in Boise ID and our local embarrassement has always been the neighboring township of Garden City. Despite claims of a renaissance project, it is basically, and has always been a s.h.it.hole, consisting mainly of dive bars, streetwalkers, drug addicts, no-tell motels and pawnshops. It ised to b e home to alot of the chinese immigrants brought to Idaho for labor, and indeed the name of its main drag, "Chinden" comes from CHINese GarDEN.
I get depressed enen when I have to drive through it. Boise, despite huge sprawl and increasing traffic and crim from Californication over the past 15 years, is a pretty nice, clean town. Garden City is like a pus-filled sore on our butt.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:32 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
Sadly this is true....

which is a shame- I love EP and I think it should be given more credit and have more prominence in Texas politics, news, events, etc
I always thought El Paso seemed to be a beautiful city with a lot of potential. I'm not embarrassed by it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City