Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
This isn't one of those "What do you think, but whatever it is - it's wrong" kind of threads is it? That's what it looks like...

I didn't say anything of the sort...I gave my opinion and added some reasons that hadn't yet been mentioned. Those were in addition to the several items mentioned in previous posts. "Raleigh has more going for it" means that I believe that Raleigh excels above Norfolk in most categories and in quality of life. End of story.
No, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But Raleigh is wack in my opinion. Been there, done that, seen a museum or two. No way it's better than the seven cities of hampton roads. No way

Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
No, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But Raleigh is wack in my opinion. Been there, done that, seen a museum or two. No way it's better than the seven cities of hampton roads. No way
So why did you start this thread - just to bash Raleigh and praise your city? Obviously that is the purpose.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:26 PM

no its not my purpose. Raleigh has it's pros and HR has it's cons, like Raleigh and it's plentiful jobs + great universities,COL etc. But when it comes to things like urbanity, QOL, transporation,attractions I'm going with my city.

I created the thread to see everyone elses thoughts, but when you said Raleigh was MUCH BETTER because it has more going for it had nothing to do with my post.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
no its not my purpose. Raleigh has it's pros and HR has it's cons, like Raleigh and it's plentiful jobs + great universities,COL etc. But when it comes to things like urbanity, QOL, transporation,attractions I'm going with my city.

I created the thread to see everyone elses thoughts, but when you said Raleigh was MUCH BETTER because it has more going for it had nothing to do with my post.
That's fine...but don't criticize me because I'm NOT going with your city.

I said "Raleigh by far...it has more going for it." So my opinion is that Raleigh is by far a better place to live and has much more going for it than Norfolk. Okay?

The thread title is Raleigh-Cary vs. Virginia Beach-Norfolk...how is my response off-topic??? Give it up - you can't stand it because people aren't siding with you!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That's fine...but don't criticize me because I'm NOT going with your city.

I said "Raleigh by far...it has more going for it." So my opinion is that Raleigh is by far a better place to live and has much more going for it than Norfolk. Okay?

The thread title is Raleigh-Cary vs. Virginia Beach-Norfolk...how is my response off-topic??? Give it up - you can't stand it because people aren't siding with you!
I can't stand what? It doesn't matter to me whether some dude on the computer likes Hampton Roads, why the hostility?

But anyway you keep saying "than Norfolk...." what about Virginia Beach (The biggest city in VA and the most populated coastal city south of Baltimore)? Williamsburg? It's about the entire region. But regardless I still take Norfolk proper over Raleigh proper. We have mass transit that Raleigh lacks, plus seeing water everywhere you look is unexplainable. It's amazing.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Deacon J: I appreciate your dilegence in your thoughts about Raleigh. But, frankly, the people in Raleigh really aren't worried about some popularity contest with the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Nonetheless, your words are appreciated.
Frankly, if the Triangle was going to be in a "competition" with an area of Virginia, it would be NOVA, not Hampton Roads. The demographics, industries, education levels, etc. are much more comparable to that part of Virginia than they are to anywhere else in the state. The Hampton Roads area is nice. I have nothing against it. But, it's hardly on the radar screen when it comes to Triangle mapping its future.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:16 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
I'll take Hampton Roads any day of the week. I don't think people in either region are concerned about this rivalry or are even aware it exists. Raleigh's location just doesn't do it for me. It's nowhere near the coast and is a good drive from the mountains as well as I-95. Besides being both on the coast and the Chesapeake Bay, HR just seems to be close to cities of interest for me. Now, if this was Raleigh vs Norfolk then Raleigh would easily win but I have to consider MSA and area location.

Rnc2mbfl,
Raleigh may look up to Nova for its future growth but besides education levels and maybe wages (have to look that up) it's not in the same league. Nova has more than 2 million people, some of the best public transit in the world, and some of the wealthiest counties in the nation. And this is not considering that Nova can't be taken as a single unit as it's part of the DC metro area. Hardly a competitor. But that makes sense, why would a region look to a peer to emulate?

Old 10-18-2009, 01:45 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,111 times
Quote:
I totally agree with about Raleigh-Cary vs. Hampton Roads, there is no comparison. Hampton Roads is one of the U.S.'s greatest areas, while Raleigh-Cary is just blah! Except for Danville and Martinsville, Virgina's cities are far superior to North Carolina's boring, bland, sprawling metros.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I totally agree with about Raleigh-Cary vs. Hampton Roads, there is no comparison. Hampton Roads is one of the U.S.'s greatest areas, while Raleigh-Cary is just blah! Except for Danville and Martinsville, Virgina's cities are far superior to North Carolina's boring, bland, sprawling metros.
So very true.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
So very true.
RAH RAH RAH! My city's better than yours, and I'm going to start a thread that proves it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City