Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
...but, it isn't all about you. Other people may like it in Phoenix.
He does bring up a good point, though. How is Phoenix ever supposed to handle that many people? From Dallas to LA... where is the water supposed to come from? The Colorado is already strained.

Houston and Miami are periodically leveled by hurricanes. Miami has one coming. Houston also has to face the issue of the oil industry going down, as that would pull a significant amount of the city down with it. The next fifteen years could bring much change, and it's not beyond ridiculous to assume that that is a challenge the city will have to face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM

353 posts, read 656,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
You have anger issues. Relax.
Not anger. Just frustration. If you don't like a certain city I'm perfectly fine with that. My frustration is with the lengths some people go in bashing Phoenix. It's not enough to say to each his own, many will question the right of Phoenix to exist or question the sanity or intelligence of those that like it.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:05 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Here's something to keep you kiddies busy for at least a few minutes...

Atlanta To Move Up On List of Biggest Metros By 2025 - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

While the title focuses on Atlanta, it lists a number of city projections in the article based on current trends.
It took me seconds (not minutes) to see that this is complete nonsense. These estimates are from the Business Journal, which isn't exactly known for its in-depth research or analysis. Their methodology is rather useless as they basically just averaged the growth rate of the metros from 2000-2008 and applied that rate over time. Honestly, if one were to use this method, Phoenix eventually becomes the largest city in the world. The rag actually released the estimates back in June (bizjournals: How much U.S. metros will grow -- bizjournals (http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/80.html?page=2 - broken link)). Did it really take the 11Alive team 4 months to study the results? Thanks for posting anyway.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 PM

353 posts, read 656,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
He does bring up a good point, though. How is Phoenix ever supposed to handle that many people? From Dallas to LA... where is the water supposed to come from? The Colorado is already strained.

Houston and Miami are periodically leveled by hurricanes. Miami has one coming. Houston also has to face the issue of the oil industry going down, as that would pull a significant amount of the city down with it. The next fifteen years could bring much change, and it's not beyond ridiculous to assume that that is a challenge the city will have to face.
Phoenix unlike Vegas has other sources of water than the Colorado. The Colorado River only accounts for like 30 percent of Phoenix's water usage. There is a system of resevoirs that collects water from the Salt, Verde, and Agua Fria Rivers. This water along with ground water and underground aquifers also provide much of the valley's water supply.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:

Its seems that your wishing for the worst. Oil isn't going nowhere for now and it's going to be around for a long time. We also have a growing Technology and tourism sectors.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:

The first part of that I agree with. From what I understand, Phoenix is having a hard time trying find the water to support its future growth. If those numbers are way over estimated, I would assume it would more due to lack of resources than Phoenix being an undesirable place (which is NOT true for many Americans).

Houston and Miami both have plummeted but several hurricanes and they are both still two of the largest cities/economies in the countries. Both Houston and Miami have plan a very efficient plan for evacuation and reconstruction if a major hurricane hits. They will be fine. Louisiana is the only state that seem to be surprised when a hurricane hits their coast (the government not the people). As for the oil industry in Houston, the city has bounced back with a much more diverse economy sense the oil bust in the 80's. Only about 35% of the metro's economy is based in energy now. And besides, the oil companies aren't worried. We are going to be dependent on oil for a long time whether it be for fuel, plastics, roads, ect. A rise in alternative energy is only going to boost Houston's economy and population even more because it will just create another very large and profitable industry in Houston.

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-29-2009 at 01:34 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
I guess the norm these days on CD is for people to constantly critique (a friendlier way of saying bash) other cities that (in many cases) they know nothing about and haven't done the research to back up their statements, and to pretend they know more about a city than the actual people who live there.

It's really quite embarrassing.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Phoenix unlike Vegas has other sources of water than the Colorado. The Colorado River only accounts for like 30 percent of Phoenix's water usage. There is a system of resevoirs that collects water from the Salt, Verde, and Agua Fria Rivers. This water along with ground water and underground aquifers also provide much of the valley's water supply.
I guess I was wrong. Maybe I was thinking of Vegas or something.

Quote:
I guess the norm these days on CD is for people to constantly critique (a friendlier way of saying bash) other cities that (in many cases) they know nothing about and haven't done the research to back up their statements, and to pretend they know more about a city than the actual people who live there.

It's really quite embarrassing.
Evidently I'm one of those people. Next time I'll just stick to Texas and Louisiana, because I obviously know nothing about Arizona.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I guess I was wrong. Maybe I was thinking of Vegas or something.

Evidently I'm one of those people. Next time I'll just stick to Texas and Louisiana, because I obviously know nothing about Arizona.
I wasn't speaking of you, just many people in general. It just so happens that while I was typing that, you made a post and mine followed.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I wasn't speaking of you, just many people in general. It just so happens that while I was typing that, you made a post and mine followed.
Oh well in that case, I completely agree with you. That does seem to happen a lot on these threads, but it is a blog site. Although, I have to admit, that I do jump to conclusions about cities and states from time to time on my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City