Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:51 AM

306 posts, read 319,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You think Dallas and Houston are the most Southern cities on the list????
I apologize. I did it in reverse on accident. I think it is like this......

Winston Salem
Daytona Beach
New Orleans
Orlando
Atlanta
Richmond
Vifrginia Beach
Houston
Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post

Winston Salem
Daytona Beach
New Orleans
Orlando
Atlanta
Richmond
Vifrginia Beach
Houston
Dallas
Haha, ok! I agree with your list!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Well Louisiana and New Orleans in particular are something of an outlier in Southern history. They are Southern, but it's difficult to try a definition of "Southerness" that fits them that well. The main possibilities coming to mind are a high percentage of urban poverty, high murder rates (common in larger Southern cities), a high percentage of African-Americans who have lived there for generations, and a past history of racial segregation.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post

Winston Salem
Daytona Beach
New Orleans
Orlando
Atlanta
Richmond
Vifrginia Beach
Houston
Dallas
Couldn't agree more...though I'd add Austin near the other TX cities.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Well Louisiana and New Orleans in particular are something of an outlier in Southern history. They are Southern, but it's difficult to try a definition of "Southerness" that fits them that well. The main possibilities coming to mind are a high percentage of urban poverty, high murder rates (common in larger Southern cities), a high percentage of African-Americans who have lived there for generations, and a past history of racial segregation.
Trying to define a "stereotypical" southern city is difficult. When Hollywood tries to do it, all of us that originate from the south find it comical.

New Orleans is one of the most unique of all southern cities, but does have much in common with older historical coastal cities like Mobile, Savannah and Charleston. But each of these have a unique history that makes them not stereotypical at all. Add the French history that is atypical of anywere else in America and its place as the main port at the mouth of the largest river system on the continent and you get a unique mix.

The objections that NOLA brings up that make him call it non-southern are somewhat myopic, I doubt he has spent much time in other southern cities, cause each of these cities have examples of how they are unique from the rest.

I find the list of cities listed here as ones that have reasons to be on a list that mark them as LESS southern. I would like to see what city people here consider the most southern, or a ranking of a list of such.

I would consider smaller cities in the coastal plain that have a connection with the plantation past to be more stereotypically southern than piedmont towns that have more of a manufacturing history. Would say Memphis, Jackson, Montgomery, Macon, et al would top most peoples mindset of a southern city than any on this list.

New Orleans is the eccentric flamboyant sister that has been around and has picked up some unique flair among the southern family, but still firmly southern.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
This is my list.
Daytona Beach
Winston-Salem
Orlando
Atlanta
Richmond
New Orleans
Virginia Beach
Houston
Dallas
Austin

Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Listed in alphabetical order:

Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Daytona Beach, Houston, Orlando, New Orleans, Richmond, Winston-Salem, Virginia Beach

Rank from most to least:
Havent been to some of the cities, but from what I do know...

I'd put Orlando last in southerness. It's more NY/Latin American now. I'd say Wiston Salem first and then 2nd is Atlanta. But I havent been to N.O. or Dallas.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:51 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

I would consider smaller cities in the coastal plain that have a connection with the plantation past to be more stereotypically southern than piedmont towns that have more of a manufacturing history. Would say Memphis, Jackson, Montgomery, Macon, et al would top most peoples mindset of a southern city than any on this list.
That was the point I made earlier about Winston-Salem (located in the piedmont of NC). In the early part of the 20th century, it was the largest city in NC and had developed a large industrial base. It still resembles a northeastern or midwestern city moreso than a typical southern city.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Richmond
New Orleans
Winston Salem
Daytona Beach
Virginia Beach (never been here just put it in the middle)
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
Austin
Orlando
I live in FL and find this to be pretty accurate. Orlando would be near the bottom and Winston Salem (lived in NC too) should be near the top. As should Atlanta.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Havent been to some of the cities, but from what I do know...

I'd put Orlando last in southerness. It's more NY/Latin American now. I'd say Wiston Salem first and then 2nd is Atlanta. But I havent been to N.O. or Dallas.
I haven't been to Orlando in about 5 years, but it was VERY southern the last time I was there. The hispanic population of a city doesn't determine how southern it is, at least in my opinion it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City