Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Would You move to?
Phoenix, AZ 16 47.06%
Jupiter, FL 11 32.35%
Utica ,NY 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:07 AM

3 posts, read 14,764 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm thinking of moving to the Jupiter area of Florida or to the phoenix AZ area or one of its suburb areas ,I would like to know the pros and cons from people that have lived in both areas possibly , I have a wife and 3 kids , I want good schools and all of that other obvious stuff, my main concerns would be the quality of life , employment oppurtunites , and just general opportunities in both areas , I would most likely be working in the construction/ maintenance /repair field to start and plan on starting a business in a different field sometime in the near future. As of right now I am currently living in Utica NY and either one of those locations would be a major step up from this area, there are no jobs here , no opportunities, crappy weather and gray skys , and this city is just ran down and depressing , Must Escape A.S.A.P. Thanks https://www.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/sad4.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 06:48 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,851 times
I can't help a great deal, as I have lived in neither city, but I'd give the slight nod to Phoenix. While neither city is doing great right now, I'd be a little more optomistic of AZ over FL these days. I'd pick either one over Utica, though.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 AM

8,625 posts, read 10,148,927 times
From Don at http://www.aroundphoenix.com/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/don85259/Downtown%20Phoenix%20-%20night/IMG_5810copy.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
You might also want to post this in the AZ and FL forums

Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Nice photo.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Looks like Peoria, IL.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
if your looking for an area with warm winters, I would go with South Texas or Louisiana.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,544 times
I live in Jupiter and have for the past 10 years. My family, parents and two adult siblings, live in the Phoenix area - parents in Mesa, sister in Phoenix and sister in Gilbert.

Your answer lies in what you are looking for. Jupiter is small and quiet. We are right on the ocean and have a beautiful beach. The town is fairly boring though. If you like action, there isn't a lot to do. Since I am originally from Chicago, I crave city life. Unfortunately, you won't get it any where close to Jupiter. Florida cities are spread out North to South. As a result if you want to go anywhere it requires a long commute. If you are looking for a good job, well... not many of those in Florida. Most decent jobs are 50+ miles to the South.

Phoenix is simply more vibrant. More to do, more to see. The area built around Phoenix reaches in all directions. More options, less commuting. I love the desert look and Phoenix and the surrounding areas do a superb job of making their cities beautiful. Florida simply doesn't take advantage of the beauty of nature. Many areas are old, lack planning and unattractive.

Weather is another issue. Florida is HOT and Humid. Phoenix is HOT and dry. It really depends on which you prefer. Actually when we visit AZ in the fall/winter we find it too dry. We end up with dry skin and lips. Everyone says your body needs an adjustment period in AZ. After a couple of months you don't notice the dryness anymore. I haven't personally tested that theory.

One big factor you might want to consider is hurricanes. Not only are they a pain in the butt, they make living in Florida very expensive. Hurricane insurance on an average home is typically $3,000.

If I had the choice, I would take Phoenix - in a heartbeat. That being said, I am happy living in Jupiter. It sure beats the snow!

*** If your options are open check out Winter Park, FL. It has a beautiful small town feel. Winter Park is located about 25 minutes northeast of Orlando. If I could live anywhere in Florida, Winter Park would be at the top of my list. ***

One last thing (flamers get ready!) Phoenix has a mid-western influence. I find people in AZ are more laid back and friendly. The East coast of Florida is largely NYC south. Think about that... NYC south... Hmmm, you decide what that means to you

Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 AM

6 posts, read 18,937 times
I'd have to vote for Phoenix too although I recently moved becuase of the poor job market. It depends on what you are looking for. Phoenix is friendly, slow paced and most people complain about the lack of culture. If you are expecting something spectacular from the 5th largst city in the country you will likely be let down. As far as recreation goes there is about as much to do outdoors as any place in AZ. There are a lot of lakes and in the summer most of us head up North to Flag or the White Mountains to escape the oven. You can also get to OC and SD beaches fairly quickly (5-6 hours). Overall it's an awesome place to live that's very affordable but you take the bad with the good. It's a new city without a lot of Anglo-American history which is another gripe I hear all the time. There is however a lot of Native American history if you are interested in learning about that. Whatever you do enjoy the place you pick and take it for what it is. I see miserable people everywhere I go (I travel a lot for work). And almost every place I've been has a lot of positives that people living there their entire lives always look right past.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
I think the biggest decision factors would be if you are really connected to the ocean or desert scenery. I find both very beautiful in their own way. Jupiter on its own is a much smaller area, but it is connected to a very large metropolitan area in a very populated state. I would definitely pick either over Utica but I have a snow aversion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City