Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the hippest metro areas in America? (choose 3).
Los Angeles/Orange County 146 28.02%
Atlanta 46 8.83%
Austin 81 15.55%
Seattle 116 22.26%
Nashville 15 2.88%
Philadelphia 27 5.18%
Minneapolis 34 6.53%
Chicago 93 17.85%
Miami 62 11.90%
New York 235 45.11%
Dallas-Ft. Worth 22 4.22%
Phoenix 23 4.41%
Cleveland 20 3.84%
Honolulu 14 2.69%
St. Louis 17 3.26%
Houston 40 7.68%
San Francisco 186 35.70%
Portland, OR 86 16.51%
Boston 56 10.75%
San Diego 37 7.10%
Cleveland 16 3.07%
Pittsburgh 24 4.61%
Las Vegas 36 6.91%
Washington DC/Northern Virginia 43 8.25%
Other 41 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 PM

655 posts, read 2,184,295 times

Advertisements

New York, Miami, San Francisco.

All young, trendy, fashion-forward cities with lots of things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,356,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
Wow, after spending nearly 8 years in Minneapolis I am surprised to see it get this many nods. I loved Minneapolis while living there, but after five years in Seattle and three in SF, Minneapolis is just.....well.....regional. I wouldn't call it that hip at all. There is a certain hipness to it, but it is no where near as hip as SF, NYC, Chicago, Boston, D.C., Seattle, Portland (OR) or LA - all cities I've lived in or spent significant time in. Minneapolis seems so itty-bitty-teeny-weeney when I go back.
Yes, but if you go only to hip cities, you see Minneapolis as being less. Compared to the multitudes of un-hip locales, it's probably pretty cool.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,696 times
I have lived in NYC and I now live in LA, spent much time in SF... NY and SF have it going on, by far.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:47 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,250,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Yes, but if you go only to hip cities, you see Minneapolis as being less. Compared to the multitudes of un-hip locales, it's probably pretty cool.
No no no!!! Minneapolis-the place where there are hordes of bike-o's (you know, those people who ride fixed-gear track bikes, wear those stupid little hats, messenger bags and the same pair of Dickies or Carharts everyday); where there are even more I hang out at a coffee shop all day, then drink PBR at a dive bar all night while listening to a friends weird electronic 'beats' that he made on a converted Game Boy. Oh, and by the way, I know so and so in this band and so and so in that band. Ad naseum. Minneapolis, where if you don't worship T-Rex, or read Mojo then you are a nobody. Minneapolis, where if you don't wear a pair of beat up Asics, then you are not stylish. Minneapolis, a place where people still talk about the Replacements and Husker-Du as if they were the greatest bands to happen to music. Minneapolis, a place where heroin-chic is still chic. Get the point?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,744,978 times
NY, SF & Boston are my picks for top 3

Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,135,097 times
I think that by "hip" most people would think hippie, counter-culture, liberal, progressive, free-spirited etc. Or places that have roots with the hippie movement of the sixties. "Hip" doesn't just mean a fun, happening place....

I chose SF, Portland and Seattle. They are historically hip, laid back, artsy, hippie friendly, outdoorsy, marijauna friendly (not Seattle so much), and just good places for a hippie/hipster (SF is on the decline in this respect, but traditionally is extrememly hip). And of course the eco-friendly, green living factor must be considered, which would put SF and Portland at the top. Places where dreadlocks, tattoos, yoga, spiritual goals, progressive ideas and vegan restaurants are the norm. Places where people care about the environment and ride bikes, places where many people live a simple, humble life.

I'm seeing people mention Chicago, Atlanta, Miami and other cities like that????? These cities might be fun, cool, interesting and have other good qualities, but they are far from hip if you ask me. Lots of these places would have you thrown in jail for a little marijauna, have little or no recycling, have materialistic, money-centere cultures and in many other ways are just very unhip. Many of these cities have a big, fake fashion masquerade going on too (Miami), which makes them sink even lower into the world of the unhip. In fact, from what I saw in Miami while I was there, it was very, very far from hip, maybe I misse the good parts?

The west coast and northeast are the two hippest areas of America if you ask me. But these days, most of the TRUELY hip places are not in major cities, but small cities and towns. Like Eugene OR, Eureka CA, Olympia WA, Boulder CO, Austin TX, etc.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 01-09-2008 at 12:49 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,600,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
No no no!!! Minneapolis-the place where there are hordes of bike-o's (you know, those people who ride fixed-gear track bikes, wear those stupid little hats, messenger bags and the same pair of Dickies or Carharts everyday); where there are even more I hang out at a coffee shop all day, then drink PBR at a dive bar all night while listening to a friends weird electronic 'beats' that he made on a converted Game Boy. Oh, and by the way, I know so and so in this band and so and so in that band. Ad naseum. Minneapolis, where if you don't worship T-Rex, or read Mojo then you are a nobody. Minneapolis, where if you don't wear a pair of beat up Asics, then you are not stylish. Minneapolis, a place where people still talk about the Replacements and Husker-Du as if they were the greatest bands to happen to music. Minneapolis, a place where heroin-chic is still chic. Get the point?
You missed a few things- girl skinny jeans, old corderoy sport jackets from the thrift store, stud belts......What you have just described is definitely not unique to Minneapolis or any other "cool" city. Come to Capitol Hill in Seattle and you will be able to see the fixed gear bikes parked outside the bike-messenger dive bar where PBR is by far the best selling beer.....You will find these people in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco in copious amounts. I am sure they reside in Minny and every other large, liberal city as well.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,600,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I think that by "hip" most people would think hippie, counter-culture, liberal, progressive, free-spirited etc. Or places that have roots with the hippie movement of the sixties. "Hip" doesn't just mean a fun, happening place....

I chose SF, Portland and Seattle. They are historically hip, laid back, artsy, hippie friendly, outdoorsy, marijauna friendly (not Seattle so much), and just good places for a hippie/hipster (SF is on the decline in this respect, but traditionally is extrememly hip). And of course the eco-friendly, green living factor must be considered, which would put SF and Portland at the top. Places where dreadlocks, tattoos, yoga, spiritual goals, progressive ideas and vegan restaurants are the norm. Places where people care about the environment and ride bikes, places where many people live a simple, humble life.
Have you heard of Iniative-75 that was passed a couple of years ago in Seattle, officially making marijuana possession the lowest law enforcement priority? And Hempfest, the largest annual marijuana legalization festival in the world?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,250,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
You missed a few things- girl skinny jeans, old corderoy sport jackets from the thrift store, stud belts......What you have just described is definitely not unique to Minneapolis or any other "cool" city. Come to Capitol Hill in Seattle and you will be able to see the fixed gear bikes parked outside the bike-messenger dive bar where PBR is by far the best selling beer.....You will find these people in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco in copious amounts. I am sure they reside in Minny and every other large, liberal city as well.
Yes, I know. There is a HUGE triangle between Minneapolis, Seattle and Portland (with a slight spur to Oakland/SF). I am sure that these people are all friends since they constantly travel between the three cities.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 PM

767 posts, read 2,067,308 times
According to my view of what "hip" is, I would have to go with San Francisco, Madison, WI, and Berkeley - Though my view of what constitutes hip is generationally constrained and admittedly dated by a few years (decades??). Back in the day, SF was definitely at the top of my list. I still travel there alot and it still has that feel in alot of ways (lots of laid back, liberal people who like to have fun). But it has also gotten very commercialized and EXPENSIVE!! In all fairness though, I have never been to Seattle or Portland. Maybe one or both of those cities should be on this list too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City