Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM

203 posts, read 689,488 times

Advertisements

what city has better access to fresher produce? i m doing a "study" ...yea a study ..thats it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 05:07 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,817 times
Philly DOES have the Amish, NJ, and is FAR closer to the ocean than Cicago. For those of you who don't know why I'm referencing NJ, Jersey Fresh Produce, the majority of NJ is farmland or forest. (I know, I live in the farmland part)

Old 12-17-2009, 10:19 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,077,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Philly DOES have the Amish, NJ, and is FAR closer to the ocean than Cicago. For those of you who don't know why I'm referencing NJ, Jersey Fresh Produce, the majority of NJ is farmland or forest. (I know, I live in the farmland part)
New Jersey is the most urbanized state in the country. I guarantee Illinois has far more farmland than New Jersey. Regardless, I would probably have to agree that Chicago gets better produce because it's the major shipping hub for the Midwest region. That means they get first crack at everything before the other surrounding states do, so they can keep the best stuff for themselves. Many of the restaurants and grocery stores here in Milwaukee get their produce from Chicago distributors.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 AM

270 posts, read 855,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Illinois Agriculture from StuffAboutStates.com

Pennsylvania Agriculture from StuffAboutStates.com

Illinois blows Pennsylvania out of the water in terms of production of commodities, as seen in the links above. Also, when considering the surrounding states, Chicago is in the breadbasket of the U.S. and closer to fruit production. Philly has NJ? Really, NJ? Right, because Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa can't touch NJ, Maryland, and New York in produce......Get with it.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
http://bestsmileys.com/candle/1.gif (broken link)
It's getting dark in here - I'm looking for a good reason to keep open a thread that compares produce.... someone please come up with something....

Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
Although I agree this is an unconventional topic, many people do not seem to be aware Philadelphia's closeness to some of this nation's most fertile farmland in Chester and Lancaster Counties (PA). Not to mention there is a strong movement locally advocating for local produce/farmer's markets/urban farming.

Philadelphia - Buy Fresh Buy Local

Old 12-18-2009, 02:04 PM

6 posts, read 12,889 times
I think he means how much food stuff is made in each city like how quaker oats is HQ in chicago. etc

Old 12-18-2009, 02:18 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
New Jersey is the most urbanized state in the country. I guarantee Illinois has far more farmland than New Jersey. Regardless, I would probably have to agree that Chicago gets better produce because it's the major shipping hub for the Midwest region. That means they get first crack at everything before the other surrounding states do, so they can keep the best stuff for themselves. Many of the restaurants and grocery stores here in Milwaukee get their produce from Chicago distributors.

Urban shmerban. If your from the rural parts of this state (like me), you seriously have no idea how in the heck this is the most desnly populated state in the nation. As for Illinois having more farmland, I'd expect it. They're less developed and have far more land to begin with. NJ's entire coast line is developed as well as the majority of the Northeastern portion of the state near NYC. The areas near Philly are pretty develped too. Beyond that it's either suburbia, farmland, or forest. More often than you would expect it's the latter of the two. We're the Garden State for a REASON. Plus Jersey Tomatoes are known for their superior quality

Anywho to get back on the topic of produce P.A. has more variety than Illanios. Other than corn, there's not a lot else. P.A. on the other hand has a lot of variety. Plus, it's also near the port of NY and NJ (or more properly put, the Ports of Elizabeth and Newark) where most of the goods shipped to the the U.S. arrive. There's also the Port of Camden where del Monte foods ships everything to/from the U.S.

For the most part, I think Chicago probably has better access to livestock and grains, but Philly is going to have better access to a variety of foods, especially exotic foods and sea food.

Also, to the poster who said everything comes from C.A., I try not to but foodstuffs from there when I can. I'd rather get tomatoes and other produce that were grown around the corner at one of the many local farms stands.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
In my experience, you can buy tomatoes and lettuce in both Chicago and Philadelphia.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:34 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
This thread actually sparked a childhood memory. When we would visit my grandparents in Chadds Ford, PA (exurban Philadelphia), my grandmother would often drive us over to southern NJ to shop for produce. At that time, the area was a big center for 'market gardening' (small-scale vegetable farming for local distribution). Don't know what the situation is now, but back in the 60's Philadelphians had access to some of the most beautiful produce I've ever seen.
Another big deal in SE PA: mushroom farming. Kennett Square, PA was called the Mushroom Capital of the World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City