Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:22 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times

Advertisements

I'll admit that I don't post much here on City Data. Just one check of my user profile will prove that. I do, however read a lot on here and I see the same things a lot when comparing cities. People getting so worked up to defend their home town but for all the wring reasons.

A city can have great archetecture but it's what's happening inside the building that really matters.
A city can have fine dining but how many people actually get to enjoy that new $70 steakhouse or fondue resturant?
A city can have upscale shopping but know that the vast majority of us can't afford to shop at Neiman Marcus.

So why do we brag about such superficial things when comparing cities? It's the people that make a city great. New York is huge but it's also a very lonely place and a good chuck of its population is miserable.

No one relocates because of Ruth Chris steakhouse or Neiman Marcus so why brag about it (eapecially if you never frequent the establishments you boast upon)?

Last edited by Bo; 10-13-2009 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Competitive comparison moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 03:48 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
A city can have great archetecture but it's what's happening inside the building that really matters.
A city can have fine dining but how many people actually get to enjoy that new $70 steakhouse or fondue resturant?
A city can have upscale shopping but know that the vast majority of us can't afford to shop at Neiman Marcus.

So why do we brag about such superficial things when comparing cities? It's the people that make a city great.
I agree with you totally, and this is why I enjoy living where I do so much. We may not have the best architecture (as far as being historic), a bunch of 5-star restaurants, or people normally dressed in overpriced clothing... but we have a friendly, smart and diverse population, a good economy, great overall restaurant scene, and a wide variety of shopping choices.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:09 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
I'll admit that I don't post much here on City Data. Just one check of my user profile will prove that. I do, however read a lot on here and I see the same things a lot when comparing cities. People getting so worked up to defend their home town but for all the wring reasons.

So why do we brag about such superficial things when comparing cities? It's the people that make a city great. New York is huge but it's also a very lonely place and a good chuck of its population is miserable.

No one relocates because of Ruth Chris steakhouse or Neiman Marcus so why brag about it (eapecially if you never frequent the establishments you boast upon)?
I agree with everything single thing except the Bold .

Old 10-13-2009, 04:14 PM

17 posts, read 59,171 times
There are many things that make a city great, the people just being one of those things. Don't forget, it is the people who made this built environment so the outside is a reflection of peoples mindset, beliefs and attitudes. What makes a city great IS the architecture (I won't use the adjectives "good", "great", beautiful" as those concepts vary from place to place, culture to culture. It is also the way that architecture relates and fits into the surrounding landscape & connects to it's regional amenities. And yes, it is certainly not based on "upscale" opportunities but rather the diversity of peoples and their culture, the variety of shopping experiences from the most humble to the most expensive, the variety of dining experiences from basic to fabulous, the overall sense of bustling commerce, and great neighborhoods where people live and interact. The list could go on.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
Quote:

I want to comment on what you said about shopping.

I completely agree, it's hilarious when I hear people brag "well we have Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom's. We have 'insert popular italian restaurant' and Ruth's Chris" blah blah blah. It's amusing because most of this isn't different from what every other mid-sized to large cities have(or maybe I should say most cities, it's just that there are many cities that can boast about this, so what's the big deal?). That's why I'm always checking what kind of clientele stores have, locations and such.

And you are right about how people brag about some of these things and never go there or do any of it. That's how I feel about condos. Sure they can look pretty, but what good does it do you if you can't live there or never even go there(for what reason you would go there I would not know, I guess to eat or do something they offer there...).

Old 10-13-2009, 08:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:

For Sarasota it is the weather...which sucks IMO.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I agree with everything single thing except the Bold .
Really? I've heard a bunch of people tell me that it's hard to make friends there and a few moved because of it. Did I just hear the exeption and not the norm?

Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 AM

196 posts, read 614,425 times
Not so much that as New York is a huge city and there are naturally going to be many different kinds of people reacting in different ways. I could see somebody being lonely in New York if they're used to a different kind of society; for instance, I don't think it's part of New York culture to throw a block party for a new family moving in (although that may be different in some neighborhoods). It can be too busy for people to take much notice of others. On the other hand, BECAUSE it's so busy, people who want to be socially active can definitely find a fun, exciting social life in New York. You're always surrounded by people there. I could see feeling lonely in another city where the downtown isn't very crowded because there's not the sense of being surrounded by people and life wherever you go. The greatest thing about New York isn't the Chrysler building, it's the fact that the city is simply STUFFED with people.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Milwaukee is great b/c of the low cost of living, relatively safe for a large city(2m). We have a ton of college options not just one big university. Milwaukee is not your traditional college town but has the 6th highest student per capita in the US and Canada. I would say Milwaukee is great also b/c of the people who are typical friendly Midwest and hard work ethic. I would also say Mlwaukee is great b/c it's on a great lake and offers many things to do for many different kinds of people. Plus Milwaukee's biggest sector is now health care making up nearly 30% of our economy.

YouTube - Milwaukee

Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 PM

71 posts, read 189,872 times
Agreed. When I have that reflective moment, and I'm thinking man, "I love this city", it is not when I'm shopping at Neiman Marcus. One reason is because I don't shop at Neimans, Saks, or Barneys unless they are have a really really good sale.

Usually, I have that, "Man, I love Chicago" moment on a Friday or Saturday night out. I started off at an house party or an art gallery, moved on to 3 or 4 different bars, met like 20 new people that all do different and interesting things, and I'm in a taxi on Lakeshore Dr. heading home at 3,4, or 5 AM, and staring back at the skyline through the back seat window.

It's stimulation that makes Chicago great, and there seems to be an infinite amount of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City