Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that by not keeping our Gothic and German Architecture is going to make Charlotte look
Yes 4 66.67%
No 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 AM

415 posts, read 1,210,497 times

Advertisements

================================================== ==========================================
FOR THE POLL ABOVE--> I did not have enough room to explainmy question!

The Question is--> Do you think that by all the new delopments, towers and condos going up that look brand new, unlike our usual Gothic and Greman engineering is going to make this look bad on our city b/c we are losing our sense of history and heritage?
================================================== ==========================================
Okay so im looking for cities that BEST incorperate their history or heritage into their architecture, high rises, or skyscrapers.

There is a great example that I can think of and that is Charlotte thier background has strong roots in Germany, Charlotte is named after Princess Charlotte of Mecklenberg Gremany. And when you think of architecture of that time period and that region you think of Gothic architecture and German engineering. And that is exactly what Charlotte does, If I can find the artical again Ill post it, but I think that it said 90% of buildings and skyscrapers in Charlotte use this. Great examples are the Bank Of America Tower, Hearst Towers, Interstate Tower, Carillon Tower 201 North Tryon, and the Bank Of America Plaza.

Although with all the new devolpment it seems its losing this title examples are:
Duke Energy Tower (Wells Fargo)
The Vue
Three Wachovia Tower
and much more delopment that's lingered away from this.

Here is a picture from Wikipedia, if you dont know it is several months old but. . .
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lotte_Pano.jpg

So do you think there are any other cities that are like this or better than Charlotte's situation?!

Also for the poll above do you think this is hurting Charlotte and its value of History and Background?

Last edited by stefansanity; 11-18-2009 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: poll Q was too short had to explain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
If I am understanding the question correctly, you are asking is adding more architecture other than Charlotte's usual German architecture hurting the history and skyline of Charlotte? If so, I think that more varied architecture is good for Charlotte. What hurts Charlotte is that we have destroyed so much of our old architecture that it is hard to see the archtectural history of Charlotte, including the first skyscraper in the Carolina's, the Independence building, which was built when we only had a population of 20k.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 AM

yeh you hit it right on the dot but yeh i fear that one too!! that was a historical landmark!

Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
If I am understanding the question correctly, you are asking is adding more architecture other than Charlotte's usual German architecture hurting the history and skyline of Charlotte? If so, I think that more varied architecture is good for Charlotte. What hurts Charlotte is that we have destroyed so much of our old architecture that it is hard to see the archtectural history of Charlotte, including the first skyscraper in the Carolina's, the Independence building, which was built when we only had a population of 20k.
Yes it seems like with all the delopment going on its lingering away from how we have always built. It all seems likes its seek and brand spanking new, not that there is anything wrong with that but I really like how we incorperated and intwined our heritage with our 21st century progression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City