Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which city is the greatest?
Chicago 168 40.58%
New York City 246 59.42%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Chicago is segragated beyond belief. Most bars are either 99% white or 99% black. Multiractial couples are an extremely rare sight.

New Yorkers do not really think that they walk on water. The world thinks that and sends 45M tourssts a year to the city and celebrities think that settling down in New York en masse. You would think the same if it happened in Chicago.
I see where you get your "data" the race of people in bars is no way to judge segregation.

I guess, with your logic, I could go to a New York zoo and say that the population of new York is comprised of mainly lower class and giraffes.

I also don't know what a "tourssts" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Um, actually no. First of all, even if their parent companies are in freaking China, it wouldn't make a difference since checks can signed and electronically deposited from any corner of the world. Having to live in a city without choice only applies to television, not film.
Why would the Mets being paying Sabathia from China? Or any other place. This isn't manufacturing.

Quote:
LOL, the most current famous Chicagoan actor, Jeremy Piven, lives in NYC.
He hardly is the most famous Chicagoan actor.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 PM

188 posts, read 477,212 times
Well after the continual bashing let me re-phrase my previous statement. Most politicians linger around DC, generally either for the call girls (lol) or because thats where they work. New York is a media hub, anyone involved with entertainment should be living in New York. New York is not the best city in the world, no city is because its all opinion. So we can debate this until the cows come home. But to say chicago is sub-par due to the fact that we have POT HOLES??? Or because its smaller than New York is just plain ignorance. I dont think trump would be building in Chicago if it was so crappy, or the Spire, our city is still growing....

Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Why would the Mets being paying Sabathia from China? Or any other place. This isn't manufacturing.

He hardly is the most famous Chicagoan actor.
1. You're comparing it to sports? LOL, what a terrible comparison. Come up with something that makes sense.

2. Most famous CURRENT actor. Did you miss the "current"? I'm not talking has-been's.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
NYC - my hand's getin tired from typing the same acronyms

Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 PM

188 posts, read 477,212 times
Quote:
1. You're comparing it to sports? LOL, what a terrible comparison. Come up with something that makes sense.

2. Most famous CURRENT actor. Did you miss the "current"? I'm not talking has-been's.
How is that a terrible comparison? CC SABATHIA DID NOT WANT TO LIVE IN NYC. Yet the players union forced him to accept the offer. Im sure there are more athletes that dont want to live in NYC but have to. A ton of music companies are headquartered or have large offices in NYC that force artist to live there. Not to mention Wall Street is in NYC so that forces stock brokers to live there. What im saying is NYC has a lot of exclusive businesses that force people to move there. Kanye West, Common (rapper) Harrison Ford. Robin Williams. Hillary Clinton. Bill Murray. And you dont even want to start on people that are deceased. Walt Disney, Miles Davis, a few presidents

Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
I think Chicago's history is a bit more interesting than NYC's (which is interesting as well), from the great fire (damn Mrs. O'Leary's cow!) to the gangsters to the skyscraper boom--I just remember more things historically about Chicago than I do about NYC. Wasn't Upton Sinclair's The Jungle about a meatpacking facility in Chicago?

NYC is, well, NYC. But I don't know; it just seems that NYC is what it is due more to geography (deep water harbor, Erie Canal, etc.) and the springing up of industry that naturally followed. Chicago just strikes me as more of a "self-made" city if that makes any sense.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Wasn't Upton Sinclair's The Jungle about a meatpacking facility in Chicago?
Yes.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:13 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
Well after the continual bashing let me re-phrase my previous statement. Most politicians linger around DC, generally either for the call girls (lol) or because thats where they work. New York is a media hub, anyone involved with entertainment should be living in New York. New York is not the best city in the world, no city is because its all opinion. So we can debate this until the cows come home. But to say chicago is sub-par due to the fact that we have POT HOLES??? Or because its smaller than New York is just plain ignorance. I dont think trump would be building in Chicago if it was so crappy, or the Spire, our city is still growing....
Chicago is not a "smaller New York" and is not growing either.
According to census bureau its population has been shrinking for the past seven years.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
How is that a terrible comparison? CC SABATHIA DID NOT WANT TO LIVE IN NYC. Yet the players union forced him to accept the offer. Im sure there are more athletes that dont want to live in NYC but have to. A ton of music companies are headquartered or have large offices in NYC that force artist to live there. Not to mention Wall Street is in NYC so that forces stock brokers to live there. What im saying is NYC has a lot of exclusive businesses that force people to move there. Kanye West, Common (rapper) Harrison Ford. Robin Williams. Hillary Clinton. Bill Murray. And you dont even want to start on people that are deceased. Walt Disney, Miles Davis, a few presidents
I think you have it backwards. The media and art industry developed in New York becuase this is where the market and talent was.
BTW. What few presidents you are talking about?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think Chicago's history is a bit more interesting than NYC's (which is interesting as well), from the great fire (damn Mrs. O'Leary's cow!) to the gangsters to the skyscraper boom--I just remember more things historically about Chicago than I do about NYC. Wasn't Upton Sinclair's The Jungle about a meatpacking facility in Chicago?

NYC is, well, NYC. But I don't know; it just seems that NYC is what it is due more to geography (deep water harbor, Erie Canal, etc.) and the springing up of industry that naturally followed. Chicago just strikes me as more of a "self-made" city if that makes any sense.
Maybe you should try to learn about New York's history then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City