Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Minneapolis 139 37.67%
Seattle 230 62.33%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 PM

335 posts, read 676,121 times

Advertisements

im from minneapolis never been to seattle but thoses downtown pics of seattle are way better then minneapolis. minneapolis takes forever to build anything downtown and i think downtown minneapolis looks boring. its very cold. we might have 4 sports teams but they never seem to make to the big game. there are some cool neighborhood in minneapolis uptown, nordeast, dinkytown but there small neighborhoods and most of minneapolis is not very dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:21 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
im from minneapolis never been to seattle but thoses downtown pics of seattle are way better then minneapolis. minneapolis takes forever to build anything downtown and i think downtown minneapolis looks boring. its very cold. we might have 4 sports teams but they never seem to make to the big game. there are some cool neighborhood in minneapolis uptown, nordeast, dinkytown but there small neighborhoods and most of minneapolis is not very dense.
A couple things:
* First of all, in regards to your statement about it taking forever to build something in downtown Minneapolis; Seattle has had 7 towers of 120+ meters constructed since 2000 whereas Minneapolis has had 5. Other recent projects in downtown MPLS. include the Guthrie Theater, Target Field, and the Central Library.

* As far as downtown Minneapolis being boring; I suggest you visit the downtown areas of the 50 largest cities. Downtown Minneapolis is better than over 35 of them.

* Last time I checked the Twins have 2 World Series titles and 3 AL Pennants whereas the Mariners don't have either, but you're right, things could be better.

* Neither Uptown or Dinkytown are cool. And who says Nordeast?

* As far as density is concerned, Minneapolis (6,970) is right behind Seattle (7,136) in terms of density.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Seattle.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
I've lived in similar neighborhoods in both cities, Capitol Hill and Uptown, respectively. They are probably the two most similar cities in the country.

Seattle is more cosmopolitan in outlook and downtown Seattle has much more street life. Minneapolis tries really hard to get people into downtown but I think the weather will always be a hindrance. On the other hand, it's very easy to live in Minneapolis. Housing prices are lower. It's much easier to bike because it's flat.

They both have outstanding cultural institutions and major state universities in the heart of the city.

One unusual difference is the relationship between the cities and their suburbs. Suburban Seattle tends to be very proud of the city whereas suburban Minneapolis can be quite conservative and has antipathy if not outright hatred for the city. Michele Bachmann represents the northern Minneapolis suburbs.

On the other hand, northern Minnesota is more liberal than western Washington.

In the end, Seattle is trying to model itself on the great coastal cities like Boston, San Francisco and even New York. Part of the Minneapolis Metro wants that model. However, since the city has no great geographical limitations (mountains or the ocean), another part prefers the sprawling Houston/Atlanta model. The battle is ongoing.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 PM

327 posts, read 1,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I've lived in similar neighborhoods in both cities, Capitol Hill and Uptown, respectively. They are probably the two most similar cities in the country.

Seattle is more cosmopolitan in outlook and downtown Seattle has much more street life. Minneapolis tries really hard to get people into downtown but I think the weather will always be a hindrance. On the other hand, it's very easy to live in Minneapolis. Housing prices are lower. It's much easier to bike because it's flat.

They both have outstanding cultural institutions and major state universities in the heart of the city.

One unusual difference is the relationship between the cities and their suburbs. Suburban Seattle tends to be very proud of the city whereas suburban Minneapolis can be quite conservative and has antipathy if not outright hatred for the city. Michele Bachmann represents the northern Minneapolis suburbs.

In the end, Seattle is trying to model itself on the great coastal cities like Boston, San Francisco and even New York. Part of the Minneapolis Metro wants that model. However, since the city has no great geographical limitations (mountains or the ocean), another part prefers the sprawling Houston/Atlanta model. The battle is ongoing.
This is a great post. I have never been to either so im not sure if it is accurate but are both on the top of my list to visit. As far as which one i would prefer, it would have to go to Minneapolis for the reason that when i was in the Navy everyone from the region was beyond friendly but now that im thinking about it everyone from Seattle was really cool too. IDK Minneapolis always seemed to catch my eye and I prefer the skyline over Seattles. I do like the pics of Seattles bustling downtown though. I believe that is a major factor in a great city and its a shame that people are saying Minneapolis is not the same.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

Good post!

The only part I would argue is that Northern Minnesota is more liberal than Western Washington. Perhaps, but Seattle is just as liberal, if not more, than Minneapolis.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 PM

571 posts, read 1,174,197 times
I'm also surprised to hear the opinion that northern Minnesota is more liberal than Western Washington....I'd say they're on a level playing field. I'd like to visit MLPS at some point...I have a friend that just moved there with his gf so she could finish school tehre (she's a MN resident) and he said that MPLS is great, but not quite to Seattle's standards yet.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 PM

159 posts, read 626,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I'm also surprised to hear the opinion that northern Minnesota is more liberal than Western Washington....I'd say they're on a level playing field. I'd like to visit MLPS at some point...I have a friend that just moved there with his gf so she could finish school tehre (she's a MN resident) and he said that MPLS is great, but not quite to Seattle's standards yet.
Maybe he meant that northern Minnesota is more liberal than eastern Washington? I've never been to northern Minnesota, so I don't really know too much about it, but eastern Washington is pretty conservative.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
Maybe he meant that northern Minnesota is more liberal than eastern Washington? I've never been to northern Minnesota, so I don't really know too much about it, but eastern Washington is pretty conservative.
I mistyped. Yes, I meant eastern Washington, which is extremely conservative.

My point was the outstate Minnesota is more liberal than outstate Washington, whereas metro Seattle was more liberal that the Twin Cities Metro.

Minnesota is unusual for a non-northeastern state in that it has liberal rural areas.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
I'd say Outstate MN is more conservative than Metro MN. Rochester is pretty conservative, while Duluth is fairly liberal. those 2 kind of even it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City