Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 11:36 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times

Advertisements

I think that Los Angeles is very sophisticated because so many languages are spoken and anglos are less than 50% of the population. Plus all the whites are the most liberal politically. If that is European\ Western than LA is more global than New York. When I go to Costco, you never hear English until you reach the clerk at check out. Russian, Armenian, Korean, various Chinese dialects, Spanish: it sounds like the United Nations. I like that every race\ ethic is a "minority". I don't think that can be replicated anywhere else in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaynow View Post
You are still going with this absurdity???
The absurdity is you thinking words can beat pictures. Sorry.

Quote:
The fact that parts of LA resemble European countryside DOES NOT make LA similar to any BIG European city.
By the way, NYC doesnt really resemble any BIG European City. It resembles NYC. And that's actually a plus. The similarities are just as generic as LAs, if not more so.

Quote:
Most of LA is based on car-culture. Have you ever seen a BIG European city with that characteristic? Which one?
The OP doesnt specify as to BIG or SMALL cities, it only says European. Sorry, LA wins if that's the case because I would much rather live in a place that is reminiscient of the French Riviera than a cramped, cold Northern European capital.

Quote:
Give it up. "European LA" - that's an oxymoron.
No less an oxymoron than "European NY"--as if.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM

98 posts, read 172,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The absurdity is you thinking words can beat pictures. Sorry.
Beat pictures? Why don't you post pictures of LA highways or LA mostly empty streets then? Very Euroepan indeed.

Quote:
By the way, NYC doesnt really resemble any BIG European City. It resembles NYC. And that's actually a plus. The similarities are just as generic as LAs, if not more so.
The same way London does not resemble any other Euroepan city. It does not resemble Paris nor Berlin yet there are certain characteristics that make those cities very similar to each other. The same characteristics make them similar to New York and very, very different than LA.

Quote:
The OP doesnt specify as to BIG or SMALL cities, it only says European. Sorry, LA wins if that's the case because I would much rather live in a place that is reminiscient of the French Riviera than a cramped, cold Northern European capital.
OK. So you are saying LA resembles European COUNTRYSIDE. That's very flattering, a 3 million city similar to European backwoods. What's next?

Quote:
No less an oxymoron than "European NY"--as if.
As an European living in New York I can tell you it is not an oxymoron.
New York due to its colonial history, function of being American window to the Old World, global capital of arts and commerce, it manages to attract a lot of Europeans. Yes, having its culture defined by the Dutch, English, Irish, Italians, Poles and European Jews New York is THE most European city in the US. Can you live with that?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
OK. So you are saying LA resembles European COUNTRYSIDE. That's very flattering, a 3 million city similar to European backwoods. What's next?
Please, The lifestyle in Cannes(where I spent a good amount of time while living in Europe) makes the lifestyle in London seem backwoods.

And to have something similar in Los Angeles yet still being close to all the things LA has to offer is amazing and incomparable.

Quote:
New York is THE most European city in the US. Can you live with that?
Id rather live a part of the US that looks like the riviera than a chilling ice box with gothic buildings. Can you live with that?

Old 12-12-2009, 01:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Sorry a mediterrenean climate, which only covers southern Europe is not the same as having a European influence. La looks like typical auto centric suburbia USA once you leave the coast. Move on.
I haven't read most of this thread, and I don't think either NYC or LA is very European (which is fine; they're both distinctive cities in their own ways), but I did want to point out that much of LA is not anything like "typical autocentrict suburbia USA." Much of it is actually pretty dense, and the areas of LA where I spent most of my time had very little in common with stereotypical suburbia. The "LA is one big suburb" stereotype is outdated. To me that description suggests cul-de-sacs and big box stores with large parking lots, and that doesn't describe much of LA. Many areas are still heavily auto-centric, admittedly, but large swaths of the city aren't as well.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:40 PM

98 posts, read 172,082 times
Quote:
Please, The lifestyle in Cannes(where I spent a good amount of time while living in Europe) makes the lifestyle in London seem backwoods.
The more defensive you become the more absurd are your posts... Are you really comparing London or Paris, typically regarded as cultural capitols of the world, and their respective lifestyles to Cannes'?
Cannes is just a resort city as typical for Europe as Accapulco is for Mexico or the Hamptons for New York State. You want to spend your life in a resort that's OK but calling London or Paris with their cultural might backwoods compared to some resort even famous for a big film festival is as absurd as a post on city-data can only get...

Quote:
And to have something similar in Los Angeles yet still being close to all the things LA has to offer is amazing and incomparable.
Id rather live a part of the US that looks like the riviera than a chilling ice box with gothic buildings. Can you live with that?
LA as French or Spanish Riviera? Sure, whole LA with its freeways looks like a big resort to me Especially the Grand Central

Well, if you don't like big European cities just say so but don't claim that LA is in any way an European city in character. Where are the similarities? Have you seen freeways going right through the city in Cannes? Better go back to your dellusions

Cheers,

Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM

184 posts, read 571,567 times
Los Angeles does not look anything like Europe. It's more like asia.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Are you really comparing London or Paris, typically regarded as cultural capitols of the world, and their respective lifestyles to Cannes'?
Actually living in Los Angeles gives one the opportunity of being near world class culture and every big city amenity imaginable---AND a beautiful coastal area that resembles the Riviera. London and Paris not so much.

Quote:
You want to spend your life in a resort that's OK but calling London or Paris with their cultural might backwoods
Nope Im calling their lifestyle backwoods and compared to Cannes, they really are subpar as far as quality of life.

Quote:
Well, if you don't like big European cities just say so but don't claim that LA is in any way an European city in character.
Its sad that you keep up this denial...but whatever. This thread's first post made no distinction whatsoever between urban qualities or natural setting-and as far as Natural Setting, Neither London, Paris nor New York can hold a candle to Los Angeles, or Cannes.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
London reminds me more of Central America, While New York reminds me of Europe

I said LONDON hahah I meant the angles

Last edited by Billiam; 12-12-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
The more defensive you become the more absurd are your posts... Are you really comparing London or Paris, typically regarded as cultural capitols of the world, and their respective lifestyles to Cannes'?
Cannes is just a resort city as typical for Europe as Accapulco is for Mexico or the Hamptons for New York State. You want to spend your life in a resort that's OK but calling London or Paris with their cultural might backwoods compared to some resort even famous for a big film festival is as absurd as a post on city-data can only get...

LA as French or Spanish Riviera? Sure, whole LA with its freeways looks like a big resort to me Especially the Grand Central

Well, if you don't like big European cities just say so but don't claim that LA is in any way an European city in character. Where are the similarities? Have you seen freeways going right through the city in Cannes? Better go back to your dellusions

Cheers,
Another example comparing Los Angeles to the Rivera is that both areas have a large celebrity base where people congregate for art & film festivals. Certainly NYC has the same but is known primarily by the Wall Street persona. The southern European lifestyle is more like LA than New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City