Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times

Advertisements

How would you compare the Triangles and Austins geography?

public schools?

Which state seems to value education more?

And, how do you picture each area in 20 yrs?

And for people curious about stats, this is a great place to get em!

American FactFinder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Here is a little bit of Austin: 730 W 3rd St, Austin, TX 78703
Link: <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...ll=30.268871,-

Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 7,797 times
I would just like to comment that the Austin area does not have just UT in terms of higher education. Someone said something about 80,000 college students in the area; I guess that's right. But the Austin metropolitan area has: UT, Concordia University, Southwestern University, St Edward's University, ACC(the #1 community college in the US), and Texas State University. All within its metro area.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoemrick View Post
I would just like to comment that the Austin area does not have just UT in terms of higher education. Someone said something about 80,000 college students in the area; I guess that's right. But the Austin metropolitan area has: UT, Concordia University, Southwestern University, St Edward's University, ACC(the #1 community college in the US), and Texas State University. All within its metro area.
I doubt anyone questioned that a city like Austin has universities and colleges other than UT. I think we were probably talking about major universities. Raleigh also has several smaller universities/colleges and community colleges.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoemrick View Post
You also have Huston-Tillotson University (HBCU)

Old 05-22-2010, 01:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I was just thinking about how these two towns compare.

Raleigh reminds me of Austin, but I can't put my finger on why.

They are similar in size.

Raleigh 400k city, 1.7 metro (including Durham)
Austin 760k city, 1.7 metro

Austin's skyline even resembled Raleigh before the building boom there in the past several years transformed the skyline. But I beleive Raleigh also could have skyling changing towers going up, correct me if I'm wrong there.

Both areas seem to be quickly rising up in the ranks.

Anyway, Any thoughts?
They're both college towns, they're also both land trapped, and they're both in lush green areas. They're both state capitals, they're both liberal compared to the rest of their state. Their both growing tech centers and their GDP's are climbing the charts.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:26 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
UT is pretty much all of the north part of downtown. Unless your familiar with the place, it's hard to tell where downtown Austin ends, and UT begins. For a long time (I think until like the 80's or something), UT Tower was the tallest building in downtown Austin.
I've always used MLK as the dividing line between UT and downtown. Though there is an area between MLK and 11th street that could go either way I suppose.

IDK about Raleigh but I do know Austin can be pretty lively and urban downtown on 6th street. It isn't always that way consistently but on certain weekends (Like a Halloween weekend for example) I would put 6th street up against just about any single street in America for liveliness.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:23 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
I always thought it was crazy hearing people compare the two, in fact Austin struck me as more similar to Atlanta over any other city when I visited. I see it now, though. Both are big "tech towns" with universities (NC State, UT-Austin), along with being state capitals. They're seen as "New South" and both metros have been popular for transplants. From what I understand, Austin has attracted many Californians, while Raleigh attracts many from New York and New Jersey. I remember hearing once, "If you've only visited Austin, you haven't been to Texas. Austin is just a slice of Orange County, California that happens to be in Texas."

Definitely some differences, though. Austin is known for being quirky and ultra-liberal, with a well established music scene which doesn't really exist in Raleigh. Of course you have a Tex-Mex flavor in Austin, too. Raleigh is more southern, although it isn't Deep South. Raleigh isn't that liberal, more so purple. Raleigh isn't as artsy or quirky, it's far more preppy and trendy. I like to call Raleigh "suburban southern" over anything, more so preppy instead of redneck-ish.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 03-28-2015 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City