Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaynow View Post
And 9/11 proved that New York is not just talking tough but simply tough... New York endured a crisis no other American city ever had to endure. New York survived even though right after 9/11 it took a lot of courage to even get on the train going under the East River or take the elevator to a high floor of highrise. All the folks talking tough here from other states have no idea what tough really is... I have seen firefighters and cops crying like babies. Don't talk to me about tough unless you have seen what New York went through...
Oh get over yourself. People from all over the nation still went to NYC after 9/11 even though it was "under the threat of attack." Are they just as "tough?" The whole nation was under that same threat and it was more likely to happen somewhere else next if it was going to happen at all. We all had to be brave one way or another, NY wasn't alone in this.

How about the people of DC when the Pentagon got hit? They had to deal with the beltway sniper right after that, NY didn't. So does that make them tougher than NYers? How about folks in rural PA who had to live with the threat of having planes land in their neighborhoods?

9/11 was something that we as Americans all faced, and yes, NYC was the hardest hit. But NYers would have to have been the world's ultimate pansies to flee their city en masse after one (albeit terrible) terrorist attack. Y'all live there; its not like you had much choice in the matter but to get up and move on with your lives. Its not like NYC suddenly became Belfast or the Gaza Strip when 9/11 hit.

The whole nation was behind NY after that horrible day happened (I'll never forget how badly I wanted revenge at that time), but don't Gulliani us all and overplay the 9/11 card. Yes, it took courage to get up and move on with your lives after that occurred, but that in itself is not proof positive of how tough NYers are. If it had happened in Seattle or Nashville the people would have gone on with their lives just the same, so don't get ahead of yourself.

I think it took more courage for the people of New Orleans to try and rebuild after Katrina. There are hurricanes every year and their city is susceptible to succumbing once again to that kind of destruction. Their entire city was decimated (not just one building complex) and still hasn't even come close to getting back to where it was. Don't act like NYers got balls of steel just b/c they got through a crisis, no matter how horrific a crisis it may have been.

And what planet have you been hiding on for all this time to not be aware that NYC is NOT the only American city to go through a crisis of this magnitude? Ever hear of Pearl Harbor?? Honolulu had to endure a military onslaught that lasted for hours with our entire fleet being slaughtered. No other American city ever had to endure THAT kind of crisis, which definitely trumps what New York went through. So if that's your metric for what sets NYers apart from the rest in terms of "toughness," then people from Honolulu (or Hawaii as a whole for that matter) are tougher than NYers.

My point is, moving on with one's life after a tragedy is the minimum requirement for what we all are SUPPOSED TO DO. Its not supposed to be an opportunity for us to pat ourselves on our backs and puff our chests out proclaiming toughness. What's the alternative, to just wither and die? Very few would actually go that route. You're like one of those dads who expects to be praised for raising and feeding his kids.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Tell me how well it goes for you when NYC is flooded, loss of electricity, dead bodies floating around while enduring hot humid weather for days.
Lol I remember when the power went out in the NY region for a few days and the media made it out to be Armageddon. If a Katrina-type catastrophe hit NYC (God forbid) I can't even imagine the boasting we'd have to hear from the self-congratulatory types like this dude. What a poor representation of a New Yorker. I'm glad he's the only one on here acting like this right now.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
O..k.. Try riding around and seeing entire sections of your city gone. Months without electricity. 90% of the population's life as they knew it ended overnight. Sitting hungry for days on roof-tops or in water with the stench of death in the air and bodies floating around. Soldiers everwhere with guns, but not to protect you. They just point their rifles at you, herd you up like cattle, and shoot when you move. Children and old women lying dead on bridges.

To bounce back from that in 5 years at the rate that we have...

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

Big ups to the City of Houston.
The fact that you're even needing to point all this out to him/her just shows that you're dealing with someone who can't think outside of their own tiny little bubble.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Lol I remember when the power went out in the NY region for a few days and the media made it out to be Armageddon.
i remember, i was living there at the time. although it sucked, it was a tad overblown

Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM

98 posts, read 172,082 times
"People of Pentagon? Beltway sniper? NY'ers as pansies fleeing the city?
People from all over the the nation went tro New York? 9/11 was something that we as Americans all faced"

What did you have to face in your neck of the woods? Constant TV reports? Nobody could come to New York after the attacks, the bridges, airports and rail stations were closed, big part of the city simply cordoned off. No other continental US city ever faced anything like this and certainly not LA.

You have no idea what you are talking about and utterly disrepectful towards all the victims of 9/11. Wow. I am out of this, I let you folks from Houston, Nola and other big important urban centers go back to discussing "toughness" based on anectodes and hearsay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Oh get over yourself. People from all over the nation still went to NYC after 9/11 even though it was "under the threat of attack." Are they just as "tough?" The whole nation was under that same threat and it was more likely to happen somewhere else next if it was going to happen at all. We all had to be brave one way or another, NY wasn't alone in this.

How about the people of DC when the Pentagon got hit? They had to deal with the beltway sniper right after that, NY didn't. So does that make them tougher than NYers? How about folks in rural PA who had to live with the threat of having planes land in their neighborhoods?

9/11 was something that we as Americans all faced, and yes, NYC was the hardest hit. But NYers would have to have been the world's ultimate pansies to flee their city en masse after one (albeit terrible) terrorist attack. Y'all live there; its not like you had much choice in the matter but to get up and move on with your lives. Its not like NYC suddenly became Belfast or the Gaza Strip when 9/11 hit.

The whole nation was behind NY after that horrible day happened (I'll never forget how badly I wanted revenge at that time), but don't Gulliani us all and overplay the 9/11 card. Yes, it took courage to get up and move on with your lives after that occurred, but that in itself is not proof positive of how tough NYers are. If it had happened in Seattle or Nashville the people would have gone on with their lives just the same, so don't get ahead of yourself.

I think it took more courage for the people of New Orleans to try and rebuild after Katrina. There are hurricanes every year and their city is susceptible to succumbing once again to that kind of destruction. Their entire city was decimated (not just one building complex) and still hasn't even come close to getting back to where it was. Don't act like NYers got balls of steel just b/c they got through a crisis, no matter how horrific a crisis it may have been.

And what planet have you been hiding on for all this time to not be aware that NYC is NOT the only American city to go through a crisis of this magnitude? Ever hear of Pearl Harbor?? Honolulu had to endure a military onslaught that lasted for hours with our entire fleet being slaughtered. No other American city ever had to endure THAT kind of crisis, which definitely trumps what New York went through. So if that's your metric for what sets NYers apart from the rest in terms of "toughness," then people from Honolulu (or Hawaii as a whole for that matter) are tougher than NYers.

My point is, moving on with one's life after a tragedy is the minimum requirement for what we all are SUPPOSED TO DO. Its not supposed to be an opportunity for us to pat ourselves on our backs and puff our chests out proclaiming toughness. What's the alternative, to just wither and die? Very few would actually go that route. You're like one of those dads who expects to be praised for raising and feeding his kids.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
I think NYers have a chip on their shoulder for the most part where people from LA are more laid back, you see that on this forum as well as in the cities in general. I live in a city with a lot of NY transplants and grew up on the west coast, spending a lot of time in Cali. Other than being the biggest and 2nd biggest in the US, the two cities couldn't be more opposite. I think the OP said it best when he/she said, " maybe because we don't have those kinds of hangups?"

Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Do you think this forums reflects reality in any way?
How many New Yorkers cared enough to post in this thread?
No chip on the shoulder, New York competes with London and Paris for being commercial and cultural centers of the world. New York is as much intimidated by LA as New York Yankees are intimidated by LA Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I think NYers have a chip on their shoulder for the most part where people from LA are more laid back, you see that on this forum as well as in the cities in general. I live in a city with a lot of NY transplants and grew up on the west coast, spending a lot of time in Cali. Other than being the biggest and 2nd biggest in the US, the two cities couldn't be more opposite. I think the OP said it best when he/she said, " maybe because we don't have those kinds of hangups?"

Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaynow View Post
It was tough I bet but New York toughness has been proved in how fast city got back to normal, how fast NYSE was back in operation, how fast the city recovered. New York City took the blow and bounced back and now looks better than ever before. That's tough enough for me. Now, what does Katrina or NOLA has to do with LA vs. new York dispute?
Come on now man. You're making yourself look really, really bad with your comments on the New Orleans/Katrina situation. First off, you proclaimed that no other city had ever had to deal with a situation as bad as 9/11. That's why people have mentioned Katrina. I think the reason you consider 9/11 to be so much worse than this other stuff is due to the fact that it was done by another group of humans, not a natural disaster.

You mention that people don't know what it's like to be walking through a subway station and see police officers with machine guns, etc, etc.

First of all, this goes on in other cities too. Every morning when I arrive at South Station, I see two to three officers with a dog and each carrying MP5 sub-machine guns. New York certainly has more of a presence than a city like Boston...but the "Big Brother" presence is everywhere to some extent.

Second, parts of New Orleans looked more like Iraq than the United States for quite awhile. They also had an extreme military presence in the city and region.

New York did a hell of a job bouncing back from 9/11. But you can't act as if you somehow overcame something more horrible than Katrina. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

9/11 was a tactical strike which not only knocked down two iconic towers, but also hurt the United States financially due to the companies and operations which took place in the complex. The phyiscal damage was a couple blocks in downtown Manhattan.

Katrina was a natural disaster which obliterated an entire region. It's also a region that's not nearly as important as New York City, and a region not nearly as wealthy as New York City.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Come on now man. You're making yourself look really, really bad with your comments on the New Orleans/Katrina situation. First off, you proclaimed that no other city had ever had to deal with a situation as bad as 9/11. That's why people have mentioned Katrina. I think the reason you consider 9/11 to be so much worse than this other stuff is due to the fact that it was done by another group of humans, not a natural disaster.
Yes. Unlike any other city in in the continental attack New York was under attack. In my opinion terrorism is much worse than any natural disaster as terrist are much more unpredictable and deliberately create havoc and terror. You can deal with the hurricanes and earthquakes, you know how to react you can prepare. How do you prepare for a terrorist attack if you do not know when, where and in how it will take place? How do you prepare for the unknown. There are no levies to be build and no way to design buildings to be terrorist-proof... Add to this that the terrorrist are fanatics with no respect for their own lifes and you have an extreme difficult situation...

Quote:
You mention that people don't know what it's like to be walking through a subway station and see police officers with machine guns, etc, etc.

First of all, this goes on in other cities too. Every morning when I arrive at South Station, I see two to three officers with a dog and each carrying MP5 sub-machine guns. New York certainly has more of a presence than a city like Boston...but the "Big Brother" presence is everywhere to some extent.

No, It's not about soldiers with guns or big brother, I only used this to show that another terrorist attack in New York is a real a valid threat that everyone in the city has to live with...

Quote:
9/11 was a tactical strike which not only knocked down two iconic towers, but also hurt the United States financially due to the companies and operations which took place in the complex. The phyiscal damage was a couple blocks in downtown Manhattan.

Katrina was a natural disaster which obliterated an entire region. It's also a region that's not nearly as important as New York City, and a region not nearly as wealthy as New York City.

Anyways, comparing Katrina to 9/11 does not make any sense, disaster is a disaster no matter what.
Still a hurricane or a flood is nothing like a deliberate, unpredictable terrorist attack and a living with a constant threat of such in a constantly crowded city.

Physical damage was disrupting the life of a 20M urban area but more painful was the psychological damage that was intended by the attackers. As you said New York bounced back and that in my mind proves toughness.
Anyways, for me being tough is being Gulliani or Donald Trump: not some thugs with guns trying to prove they are tough but tough-like-nails businessmen and politicians...
That's New York tough for you.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:46 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
I'm from Los Angeles and have never been to New York. I want to go but not to deal with any of the people or to live there. I want to go to do the tourist thing. I want to see the statue of liberty, Ellis island, the New York library, the Gughenheim (hope I spelled that right), grand central station, central park, see a play on broadway etc.

The city is always made to look beautiful in the movies but I've heard that's not the case. I don't EVER have a problem with a city, but the people tend to be what ruins a city. I've been to Chicago and, though the city was amazing, the people sucked balls. The people I stayed with and the neighborhood where they lived were great but the folks downtown were pretty bad.

Many of the east coasters who come to L.A. go out of their way to identify themselves as east coasters, especially New Yorkers, and will announce it within the first five minutes of a conversation. Nothing wrong with that but they usually do it in the form of a criticism of L.A. If L.A. is that bad, then why are you here?

We have what we have and you have what you have. Intimidated? I doubt that New Yorkers are intimidated by L.A. just as I'm sure that us folks from L.A. (especially the neighborhood I grew up in) are not intimidated by New York. They're just places and the people vary greatly depending on the area where they live; just like any other city in the U.S. and the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City