Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
GAWD! No wonder we have a reputation as wimps compared to east coast cities- little stucco bungalows on the hills, (all with glass intact in the windows don't you know) manicured lawns, hedges and palm trees- that's ghetto?! WTF?

San Diego is not as a whole among the most prettiest cities in the world (but a lot of it is pretty close) but it can't even play ghetto!
Yea, I was wondering why people mentioned San Diego.

Even the really bad areas of NYC can't compare to Philly, as you might guess from the photos. The bad areas of NYC are usually somewhat busy with people making me feel safer. And abandoned buildings are rare. I got a bad vibe from passing through Philadelphia that I never got from New York, desolate blocks of blocked up buildings, sketchy looking people, convenience stores with a barrier between you and the cashier (sure that exists somewhere in New York, too). Philly has some really nice areas, too. But its bad areas are really bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Baltimore looks like a denser smaller Philly with a higher murder rate....philly looks like a larger spread out Bmore but for some reason a little more quaint than bmore ( not from those pics though)...My folks stay on Alleghany but feels alittle more homely for some reason even tho the run down areas of Philly are on the extreme end it just seems like its always been that way

Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, I was wondering why people mentioned San Diego.

Even the really bad areas of NYC can't compare to Philly, as you might guess from the photos. The bad areas of NYC are usually somewhat busy with people making me feel safer. And abandoned buildings are rare. I got a bad vibe from passing through Philadelphia that I never got from New York, desolate blocks of blocked up buildings, sketchy looking people, convenience stores with a barrier between you and the cashier (sure that exists somewhere in New York, too). Philly has some really nice areas, too. But its bad areas are really bad.
well for one thing the ghettos that lie in the northeast are not as dangerous as Brownsville and east new york in brooklyn.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,939 times
Camden is truley a hellish place, and it's only getting worse. The camden police, who were already riddled with corruption have been cut drastically, half of the department has been laid off today. The city's now being patrolled by NJ state cops. smh.

Ohh yeah and a third of the fire department.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM

I remember last year Chester had to declare a state of emergency and impose a curfew.

The Philly area is my home, but I can admit it has some of the most ghetto places in the US. some areas are downright third world.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I remember last year Chester had to declare a state of emergency and impose a curfew.

The Philly area is my home, but I can admit it has some of the most ghetto places in the US. some areas are downright third world.
i wouldnt call no ghetto in america third world unless your being sarcastic.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
its crazy how much Philly and Baltimore resemble each other.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
i wouldnt call no ghetto in america third world unless your being sarcastic.
no unfortunatley I'm not being sarcastic. you must just be uninformed

Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 AM

194 posts, read 281,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
its crazy how much Philly and Baltimore resemble each other.
I have never been to Philly but I really noticed how bad parts of Baltimore seemed to be when I was there. I'm not sure if the neighberhoods that I saw were really that bad or if it was just because they were so close to the tourist areas that shocked me. The Inner Harbor is only a few blocks and then it is surrounded by a lot of low income neighberhoods. Also there were homeless people all through the Harbor Area and they were a lot more aggressive then they were in DC (where I was living at the time of my visit). The police really should shoe the homeless out of there and invest some money in the neighberhoods adjacent to the Harbor.

In order to get to Little Italy or that Federal (Whatever) area you have to walk through some pretty dingy streets. It makes you feel unsafe.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica X19 View Post
hears a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LnEwxsqJjY

of san diego's ghetto.

here's a pic

san diego is crappy outside of tourist areas.
I'd be lying if I told you that neighbor didn't look pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City