Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times

Advertisements

I posted this in another thread:

Quote:
It's difficult to define the 'Sunbelt' the further north you go. For example, San Francisco is located at 37'46 N while Washington DC is located at 38'53 N. In other words, if SF was on the East Coast, it would only be 60-70 miles away from DC! By all intents purposes, they are both located in the same latitudinal range, but they are typically classified differently (SF in the Sunbelt, DC typically part of the NE).

Portland and Seattle aren't Sunbelt cities, but they aren't Rust Belt either. They're a weird mix of growing areas with mild weather (temperature range is somewhat constant).

I personally consider SF and the rest of the Bay Area the sunbelt, since most areas get more than 65% sunny days/year, but most people would consider the sunbelt between 25-35'N (roughly corresponding to South Florida and South Texas northward to the border of SC/NC, border of TN and GA/MS/AL, MO/AR border, straight line northern border of OK/NM/AZ, northern border of Clark County, NV and straight line northern border of San Bernardino/Kern/SLO Counties in CA), with 35-36 N (roughly states of NC and TN) to be transition zones.

It's really hard to define it. We should have a poll on what the sunbelt is.
Before joining this site, I never heard the term 'sunbelt' in my life. So the question I pose to you is 'where exactly is the sunbelt?' or 'what qualities does an area need in order to be included in the sunbelt?'

Sun Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia's definition includes areas like Raleigh-Durham (which gets a regular snow and rain every winter), Greensboro, NC; Amarillo, TX (which probably has way more in common with other Great Plains cities than cities in the Texas triangle), Flagstaff, AZ, and a great many other areas that would be considered not the sunbelt where it anywhere else.

The greatest confusion, at least to me, is the inclusion of San Francisco and the rest of the Bay Area. While most of the Bay Area really does look like the Sunbelt (especially the outer East Bay and South Bay), SF itself does not. In addition, whenever there is a warm, hot summer day, there is usually a really cool night (unlike anywhere else in the sunbelt) where it could be above 90 but also be below 50 on the same day.

I personally like the 'anything below 36'N latitude definition, because it pretty much includes every essential part of the Sunbelt. At least for the West Coast, while areas north of that line (such as Fresno, Sacramento, Redding, etc.) get extremely hot in the summer, they also don't get as much sunshine in the winter due to fog. Northern Arizona and Northern Texas is included as 'below 36'N' so I feel those areas should be omitted as well.

What are your definitions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
36 North seems about right.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
seconded. motion passed.

36 N it is.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Hmm..I didn't realize that Las Vegas is barely above 36'N (in fact, its at 36'10 N), but I think we can make an exception for Clark County, NV. From the northern border of Clark County all the way east to the border of MO, there seems to be a straight line that that cuts all the way, separating UT, CO, and KS from its southern neighbors.

Maybe 36'30 would be better to accommodate all those lines. However, I'm having trouble picturing most of Oklahoma as part of the sunbelt. If Northern Texas counts, then I think OK should be...OK

Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
To me, Sun Belt means the following states: South Carolina\ Georgia\ Florida\ Louisiana\ Alabama\ Mississippi\ Texas\ New Mexico\ Arizona\ Nevada & California. Basically the southern-most states & border states.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
To me, Sun Belt means the following states: South Carolina\ Georgia\ Florida\ Louisiana\ Alabama\ Mississippi\ Texas\ New Mexico\ Arizona\ Nevada & California. Basically the southern-most states & border states.
I think this is a good measure and indicator.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
I personally consider Southern CA (Santa Barbara & south) as the sunbelt and not Northern CA. Same with Texas- I wouln't consider Dallas & area as the sunbelt but the other parts more likely.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
It's short-hand for a group of cities that are okay to bash on the internet.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Seems right to me.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It's short-hand for a group of cities that are okay to bash on the internet.
So true. We all know this too well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City