Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,862 times

Advertisements

Just a thought. I have not been out west so I don't really have a say so in what city I think is futuristic. Most of you all that have traveled and seen cities and know which companies are where and what all the geographical regions offer in terms of growing and expanding! I personally am from Central Florida (Orlando) and I see many great things happening here but what might be some other cities???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,254 times
I honestly don't think we have anything that can come close to the cities of Japan, China, etc...even Australia has some incredibly modern looking cities. I guess our most futuristic would be Seattle?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM

Agreed from everything I know about Seattle. Thats why I asked. I look at some of the other cities and wonder if we have a city like that. All we have is glamour and failure in our cities. =/

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
I might also guess Seattle.

Digital Cities Survey names Corpus Christi, Texas as the most advanced city for 2009. Winners in past years include: Aurora, Colorado; Virginia Beach, Virginia; Honolulu, Hawaii, and Tampa.

The Center for Digital Government and Digital Communities Magazine Name Top Digital Cities in America 2009

Forbes lists Atlanta as the most "wired city."

America's Most Wired Cities - Forbes.com

Although it struck me as pretty weird, maybe Corpus Christi is representative of "the future." A warmer America that's much more Hispanic.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:35 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,252 times
Portland and Seattle. These cities are doing the opposite of the rest of the west coast cities, they are moving forward and not falling apart.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:35 PM

306 posts, read 475,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Just a thought. I have not been out west so I don't really have a say so in what city I think is futuristic. Most of you all that have traveled and seen cities and know which companies are where and what all the geographical regions offer in terms of growing and expanding! I personally am from Central Florida (Orlando) and I see many great things happening here but what might be some other cities???

Between the new 35W bridge and the new guthrie, and all the skyways, I'd say Minneapolis.

The I-35W Bridge At Night
http://nymag.com/travel/weekends/guthrietheater_560.jpg
http://www.minnpost.com/client_files/alternate_images/526/mp_main_wide_Mpls_Skyways.jpg (broken link)
Mn/DOT News Release

Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Minneapolis is beautiful, and I have heard greta things about it, though I personally dont know too much about it!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Would Phoenix be considered the west coast?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:18 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
I think Los Angeles is very futuristic in that it was built on sprawl & is now putting back the light rail of 60 yrs ago. It's almost made a full circle in how a city must deal with transportation. People who live here also tend to be innovators in lifestyle [pro-gay/ pro-marijuana/ environmentalists, etc]. The city of the future.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 PM

6,542 posts, read 12,040,501 times
I would guess Seattle, San Francisco, or Los Angeles although some might claim San Diego is the most futuristic. From what I've heard, Minneapolis is up there too, and I'd probably get laughed at if I said Atlanta, but I have seen things in Atlanta that I haven't seen anywhere else, even Japan, such as the futuristic trash cans in the ATL Airport. Japan might have the futuristic toilets, but not the trash cans since they separate all their trash.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hZfgKOg9J0c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hZfgKOg9J0c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(How do you embedded a video from YouTube? I thought it would be simple as copying and pasting the link. I guess not.)

I've always thought Atlanta, at least at the airport, was trying to go for a futuristic theme, like before the Olympics when the people-mover train had a robot voice making announcements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City