Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your preferred way of looking at a metropolitan area?
Combined Statistical Area (CSA) 17 22.97%
Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) 36 48.65%
Urbanized Area (UA) 15 20.27%
City Limit Population only 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,925,604 times

Advertisements

It's tricky. As several people have pointed out, it varies between areas which category best defines the cohesive local area.

It can even vary for different sections of the same area. I live in the Boston metro area. This is a matter of personal perception, and someone else might have a different view, but to me there seem to be some parts of my area's CSA that have more the feel of being part of the broad local area than others. Providence and Worcester both have commuter rail connections to Boston. Indoor arenas in Worcester are or at times in the past have been venues in the local Boston area rock concert circuit. For at least twenty years the Providence airport has in effect served as Boston's second airport. There are now even plans to extend the commuter rail line from Boston past Providence to the airport. A case could almost be made for regarding both Providence and Worcester as large outer-fringe suburbs of Boston.

On the other hand, Manchester's airport has become another secondary Boston area airport in the past few years, but my personal perception at least is that there is little else to give the feeling that Manchester is part of the same local area as Boston, though I suppose that both cities could be viewed as being in the same broad sub-region. The CSA extends all the way up into central New Hampshire, as far north as Laconia in New Hampshire's lakes region. Other than the popularity of this area as a vacation destination for many Bostonians, I see very little connection, certainly nothing that would make Laconia part of even a broad local area that would include Boston.

So, going by my personal perceptions at least, part of the CSA seems very much like a single extended local area, but other sections of the CSA seem to have at best a peripheral association with Boston/Worcester/Providence/southeastern NH. (Southeastern NH is legitimately a part of not only this same CSA but the Boston MSA, as there is heavy commuting from that area into the metro area core including Boston and its immediate vicinity.)

Which category best identifies one metro area will vary from place to place, but if I have to be limited to one choice I'll go with MSA as usually the closest measure of a local area. It seems that in a large majority of metro areas it's in the MSA that you get a lot of activity of a local nature, including crisscrossing of traffic throughout the area, rather than primarily inbound and outbound commuter traffic between outer fringes and the metro area's core. This multi-directional interconnectedness seems to me to mean that in terms of how MSA's function, an MSA is in practical effect all one city, even if suburban areas often may not have the appearance associated with a city. Often, much of a CSA will lack this kind of cohesion with the largest city's MSA.

But then, there's that close association of Worcester and Providence with Boston. And there's the Bay Area. And there is southwestern CT, which the last time I checked still was not part of NYC's MSA despite the area's heavy suburban association with NYC. These, and probably other, examples show that no one category adequately defines all local areas. My sense, though, is that MSA probably comes the closest to approximating local boundaries for the greatest number of metro areas.

Last edited by ogre; 01-28-2010 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,565,180 times
CSA's because i'm a size queen. I'm also from Providence, live in Boston, and Work through out eastern MA. Its all greater boston to me.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,728,818 times
What's your preferred way of looking at a metropolitan area?

In my rear view mirror on my way out of town.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,474,847 times
I would say it depends on the size of the metro as not every metro has has a CSA but if it does then they should go by it. For example.

Pueblo has a MSA but not a offical CSA, I would argue that Pueblo and Colorado Springs should be a CSA but that is not offical, while Denver has both a MSA and a offical CSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City