Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City in the South most likely to get a "Super Tower"?
Atlanta GA 71 44.94%
Miami Fl 33 20.89%
Charlotte NC 17 10.76%
New Orleans 2 1.27%
Other (please list in reply) 35 22.15%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,853,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Something on a Dubai Level, & Chicago Spire
i sincerely hope that never happens. sunbelt cities are already good enough. we don't need to enter the pissing contest. let those other cities play with each other

although i do think that dallas could use some decent sized talls in the uptown area. not for competition, but just for a more exciting skyline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Atlanta.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...22/story2.html

Old 01-08-2010, 08:27 AM

415 posts, read 1,210,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Huumm very questionable Charlotte has already had 2 towers proposed to be over 80 and in the planning stages even with Charlotte a healthy $$ Capital in the US except NY Im not sure if they could pull that one off.

But anyways Yall I have my main building ready all I have to do is add windows metal work and other small stuff, then place it in a city, I may do so for all these cities and yall well me which city looks best with a Super Tower

Here is the picture and the link incase it don't show up.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=1262964122000

Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,376,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Huumm very questionable Charlotte has already had 2 towers proposed to be over 80 and in the planning stages even with Charlotte a healthy $$ Capital in the US except NY Im not sure if they could pull that one off.

But anyways Yall I have my main building ready all I have to do is add windows metal work and other small stuff, then place it in a city, I may do so for all these cities and yall well me which city looks best with a Super Tower

Here is the picture and the link incase it don't show up.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=1262964122000
Charlotte has seen its skyscraper boom. A very impressive one, I might add.

There will not be any 80 story buildings breaking ground there any time in the near future. You can count on that.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 AM

415 posts, read 1,210,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Charlotte has seen its skyscraper boom. A very impressive one, I might add.

There will not be any 80 story buildings breaking ground there any time in the near future. You can count on that.
Well its not like its a far stretch the BofA Corp. Center with 60 floors its more than anything in the south east (may be wrong) and the only reason the Four First Union Center was'nt constructed or canceled was because hard times and it was 84 stories and one of the tallest in the world it had already been approved and everything

http://www.emporis.com/images/5/2006/03/446251.jpg

Even if completed it would have been awesome but I think it would have been one of the ugliest built in this decade possible more. The second one Charlotte Trump which I have no idea where it ended up as far as being approved etc. it would have been another one that would have been IMPO the most beautiful and best skyscraper on the eastern seaboard

Trump Charlotte

Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,376,427 times
^These are all nice proposals, but there is simply no demand for any of this anymore.

Charlotte has had their impressive skyscraper boom. It's over now.

Infill will of course still keep going on, but there is simply no need for any of these grand proposals now. Perhaps in the future in 5+ years, but not anytime soon.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^These are all nice proposals, but there is simply no demand for any of this anymore.

Charlotte has had their impressive skyscraper boom. It's over now.

Infill will of course still keep going on, but there is simply no need for any of these grand proposals now. Perhaps in the future in 5+ years, but not anytime soon.
Exactly. First Union (Wachovia) doesn't even exist as an independent company anymore and God only knows what the future of BOA is (even though the HQ will stay here in the meantime). The banks are what gave us our skyline, and the banking industry in this country has been altered forever. I don't think stefan is old enough to quite understand that or grasp the implications of the banking crisis though. Any towers we get in the near future won't be any taller than 700 ft.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
As far as a super tower in a southern city goes, I'd go with Houston. And knowing that city, they'll build it 10 miles outside of downtown.

But since Texas is exempt, I'd go with Atlanta.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:34 AM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
DC isn't really in the South .
It's not in the North either.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:34 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,252,600 times
Would Atlanta's 1,000+ ft Bank of America plaza count as a "supertower"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of...Plaza_(Atlanta) Tallest building in the US outside of NYC and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City