Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree with Bunjee's description. LA has skyscrapers, but it's definitely not a skyscraper kind of city.

I think in general LA has a greater diversity of architectural styles than does Chicago.

In LA (or LA metro) Pasadena and surroundings in particular have a very Midwestern feel to them; not surprising, really, since as noted many of the people moving to those areas were from the Midwest (including many from Chicago; the wealthiest often spent winters in Pasadena, summers in Chicago). Our neighborhood was popular as a filming location because it was so easy to pass for other parts of the US, including Chicago. As long as you hid the palm trees, of course!
Really?

That is interesting. I thought cities like Chicago were getting much of their recent residential architectural influence from cities like LA because the LA metro I thought is credited for creating the suburb boom (I could be wrong, correct me if so).

But LA's residential architecture is definitely more diverse and interesting to me than Chicago's, though I am a huge fan of the Chicago bungalow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM

87 posts, read 80,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintheneighborhood View Post
Substantially...
Yeah, Chicago is the type of "modern" city that throws up tall, disgusting towers that are more of a hinderance to society than anything positive. Catastrophic social isolators with elevators. Modernism on the largest scale has created the sterile and impersonal and Chicago/New York/HongKong are perfect examples. L.A. is even worse as it is not really a city at all.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 PM

217 posts, read 692,938 times
chicago built more similar to an east coast city to me than LA..LA is all low, one floor homes, thats something thats looks different than up here...and in general the midwest and the east have more brick buildings,

Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
yeah, chicago is the type of "modern" city that throws up tall, disgusting towers that are more of a hinderance to society than anything positive. Catastrophic social isolators with elevators. Modernism on the largest scale has created the sterile and impersonal and chicago/new york/hongkong are perfect examples. L.a. Is even worse as it is not really a city at all.

lol

Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM

21 posts, read 23,711 times
Quote:
Yeah, Chicago is the type of "modern" city that throws up tall, disgusting towers that are more of a hinderance to society than anything positive. Catastrophic social isolators with elevators. Modernism on the largest scale has created the sterile and impersonal and Chicago/New York/HongKong are perfect examples. L.A. is even worse as it is not really a city at all.
I agree modenism is sterile, cold and mostly disgusting.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,688 times
With regards to architecture, Chicago was more innovative 100 years ago....Los Angeles is more innovative today.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
If Chicago did not "throw up" those "tall disgusting towers" then there would be far more low level urban officeparks sprawling across a much larger area of land. We would need far more roads and highways. Commuter rail and mass transit would be much less effective.

This would be far more of a "hinderance to society" than the dense downtown Chicago area is now. I mean think about it, common sense.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
chicago built more similar to an east coast city to me than LA..LA is all low, one floor homes, thats something thats looks different than up here...and in general the midwest and the east have more brick buildings,

Just goes to show how ignorant someone can sound. As you can see LA has various architectural types and one could not know if he or she allways spews ignorance, but it's OK, I do the same.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 AM

981 posts, read 806,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post

Just goes to show how ignorant someone can sound. As you can see LA has various architectural types and one could not know if he or she allways spews ignorance, but it's OK, I do the same.
I'd say about 97% of the people posting on CD don't know jack s*it about LA.

Great pics, BTW.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I'd say about 97% of the people posting on CD don't know jack s*it about LA.
I'd state the opposite. People do know Los Angeles from the movies and TV, but without realizing it's L.A. As uptown_urbanist said, for example, the big colonial in National Treasure is a South Pasadena home, and the film also used the old Greystone mansion in Beverly Hills. There are lots of other residential examples, from the modest to the quite grand. The city's just too patchwork to make broad statements, though Spanish Colonial is one of those styles, and a lot of post-WWII suburbs do look like a lot of post-WWII suburbs all around the country.

Now, Disney Hall stands alone as a great achievement, but I don't know that there's been great public architecture otherwise recently, or that there's anything on the horizon. I think L.A. Live is a real missed opportunity for a stunning public space. OTOH, Chicago has its traditions and I really don't think it would have allowed something so central to be so uninspired in design. It actually pisses me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City