Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 PM

3 posts, read 11,167 times

Advertisements

Hey.

I'm a 21 year old female looking for some advice. I'm a college student from Boston transferring to one of two locations to finish my undergraduate work. I've been out of school for 2 years due to financial reasons, but now I'm ready to go back and I want to be somewhere new. I'm deciding between Los Angeles and Chicago.

Chicago : I'd be attending Columbia College, which is more expensive and I'd have to pay out of pocket for housing.

Los Angeles : I'd be attending Santa Monica City College to get some core requirements out of the way and then finishing at UCLA [cheaper due to California residency]

My life revolves around music and art, and I will be going to school for graphic design and photography but also working with booking companies/music venues. I need to know which of these two places, LA or Chicago has the best music [indie/alternative/emo/rock] and art scenes, and which school would be best for what I'm trying to pursue. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can be more detailed if it will help.

I'm sorry this is such a long entry.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Please do a search on the Chicago forum. This has been covered like 10,000 times.
Anyone that posts in this thread will get a lashing!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 11,167 times
I did search. I couldn't find anything specific to what I was asking, however.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makedamnsure View Post
I did search. I couldn't find anything specific to what I was asking, however.
Do separate searches under "indie","Columbia College","art","music",etc...

I am not trying to be an ass, but many of your questions have pretty much been answered before multiple times albeit maybe not all in the same thread.

I asked the mods to move this thread to the Chicago Forum where it belongs.Maybe some people there will attempt to address your questions.

Please do not make another thread stating the same questions as this thread in the Chicago forum. This one will be moved soon enough.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:57 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
Did you enjoy the weather in Boston? The weather in Chicago is pretty similar overall.

I really like the atmosphere and architecture of Chicago a lot more than LA.

However, if overall you are looking for an education that is cheaper, maybe that college in Santan Monica would fit the bill. I don't know how much coming out in more or less debt means to you.

Oh, and it's my impression that public transportation in Chicago is a lot better than LA...but LA has more sunshine.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
I'm moving this to the Chicago forum...

Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
The housing costs in L.A. compared to Chicago will more than make up for the difference in tuition. Santa Monica ain't cheap, my friend!

If you're looking for a "scene", L.A. is probably your place. Chicago does have some great underground art and music, but scensters may be disappointed. L.A. is all about scene, and you will have trouble finding substance amongst all of the posers (though there is great art and music coming out of there). Chicago does have substance, but it's usually under the surface as well. But of course, going to art school will put you right in the middle of all of the Indie kids, and you will soon be going to the Empty Bottle and Skylark with the rest of 'em.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
If i were you, i would choose LA because I think you would have more fun, enjoy the weather more, and live a healthier lifestyle since the population isn't forced to cover their bodies with bulky clothing, hibernate, and feed themselves with little to no activity for 5 or 6 months a year. there's a reason why places like arizona and cali have so many attractive people. you can't hide that fat when it's 70 degrees and sunny year round.

i would choose LA. but if you chose Chicago, you would have a better education that would set yourself up, better, for future employment so that would make sense and clearly the art scene in chicago is second to few.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
there's a reason why places like arizona and cali have so many attractive people. you can't hide that fat when it's 70 degrees and sunny year round.
You must be joking. Arizona? I'll give you Cali on this one, but Arizona? No way. And I challenge you to go for a jog outdoors in Arizona in the middle of July.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:36 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You must be joking. Arizona? I'll give you Cali on this one, but Arizona? No way. And I challenge you to go for a jog outdoors in Arizona in the middle of July.
A lot of those are Illinois and Chicago transplants.

Arizona Universities have some of the hottest women in the country...save for the USC girls and girls at SEC colleges (The South).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City