Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times

Advertisements

In the area I live, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point region, shopping is a big part of the culture. It seems like there is a shopping center or store at every thoroughfare and all are patronized; with shopping as the major part of the local past-time. Has anyone else noticed this where they live? What is the shopping culture like in the town, city, or region where you currently live? Is it a big or small part of your area's local culture and past-time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM

306 posts, read 476,121 times
I would say, somewhat shamefully, that the TC Metro has a big shopping culture. The Mall of America is pretty self evident. However, I'd say that in Minneapolis proper, the "shopping culture" is geared more to local, organic, well made products or food. As long as you have the money.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In the area I live, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point region, shopping is a big part of the culture. It seems like there is a shopping center or store at every thoroughfare and all are patronized; with shopping as the major part of the local past-time. Has anyone else noticed this where they live? What is the shopping culture like in the town, city, or region where you currently live? Is it a big or small part of your area's local culture and past-time?
I'd think shopping is big in most towns or cities cultures.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:26 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Shopping in a city like Atlanta is not only a local thing, but the city also draws shoppers from around the South by offering legendary shopping at places like Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza.

I do think that shopping is a major hobby for many people everywhere.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Shopping is big in Northern Virginia. It's what people do on weekends.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Shopping in a city like Atlanta is not only a local thing, but the city also draws shoppers from around the South by offering legendary shopping at places like Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza.

I do think that shopping is a major hobby for many people everywhere.
Even though Knoxville pretty much has all the shopping I need, I loooove going to Atlanta every once in a while for some big-time shopping excursions. Not only does Atlanta have the country's largest IKEA but Atlanta has H&M, the DeKalb International Farmers Market, Macy's, Nordstrom, Saks, Neimans, and countless smaller stores that we just don't have here in Knoxville. And don't get me started on all the cool restaurants in Atlanta....

Old 01-20-2010, 07:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I would think this would be more dependent on the person. Overall I really don't feel there is a big shopping culture where I live. Even though I'm sure there are plenty of people here that do like to shop judging by all the designer stuff some people wear but overall I just feel that there is a big culture centered around it. Most people I know seem to like to go to the beach, play sports, hike, bike, enjoy nature/outdoors, etc.. more so than shop at a mall.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
People come from all over the world to come shop in my city. One reason is because of the world-class shopping, and the other reason is the good exchange rate that most Europeans get.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
People come from all over the world to come shop in my city. One reason is because of the world-class shopping, and the other reason is the good exchange rate that most Europeans get.
Don't most Europeans get the same exchange rate with the Euro?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Don't most Europeans get the same exchange rate with the Euro?

I was in Europe in July and I got like 75 cents in Euros when I gave them a dollar. But it depends which countries have the Euro. I know the pound is worth more than the dollar. I got tons of lira in Turkey for US dollars. The zloty in Poland isn't worth very much compared to the dollar (good news for me for when I go in March). But more than half of Europe uses the Euros I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City