Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Does Charlotte's skyline appear wider/taller in person or smaller/shorter?
It doesn't look as wide in person, but the BoA tower is pretty tall.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
"Charlotte is barely inching by"? You obviously don't have a clue.

At any rate, in terms of skyline I'll give the edge to Charlotte, but Austin's skyline is certainly growing tremendously also. I just wish the new additions were more of a mix of office and residential instead of virtually all residential. I'd give Austin the edge in terms of scenery, primarily because of the river.

I gave Charlotte a slight edge. Also I do agree, it has light rail in place as well as the sports venues. Austin also has a large football stadium and more residential.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:31 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I don't know about that part in bold. Having UT in downtown Austin makes it pretty dense. I would be extreme surprised if there where more people living in downtown Charlotte then Austin.

Austin seems to have more residents. This is a estimate for 2010.
http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/top21fin.pdf (broken link)

http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/ce...ownrebound.pdf

Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Charlotte has roughly 23 buildings above 90 meters tall while Austin has about 20. Charlotte's three tallest are all above 200 meters while Austin only has one building above 200 meters tall (and it was just completed within the last year).

As it stands now, both skylines are very comparable when it comes to number of buildings. I personally like both skylines.

I am not sure about Austin, but I love the "classic looking" neighborhoods that exists on the ground level of Charlotte's skyline.

Flickr Photo Download: 4th Ward, Charlotte (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/2738462435/sizes/o/in/set-72157606576313902/ - broken link)

Flickr Photo Download: Charlotte - 4th Ward Park (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/3246755560/sizes/o/in/set-72157606576313902/ - broken link)

Flickr Photo Download: Charlotte - 4th Ward (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/4131444280/sizes/o/in/set-72157606576313902/ - broken link)

Last edited by JMT; 07-29-2012 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It doesn't look as wide in person, but the BoA tower is pretty tall.
It's been REALLY long time sense I've seen the Charlotte skyline in person, but I do remember the BoA being extremely tall. I would guess somewhere between 700 and 900 ft tall, correct?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Does Charlotte's skyline appear wider/taller in person or smaller/shorter?
I'd say wider/taller in person (however that depends on one's personal definition of "wider/taller").

http://maps.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/web...ilityentry.htm
Air Quality (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/LUESA/Air+Quality/Home.htm - broken link)

In this VERY recent web cam image, the skyline (at its most dense cluster of buildings) is roughly 0.75 miles long without any gaps. To some, this might be considered narrow. However, being that Charlotte is a midsized city, 3/4 of a mile worth of buildings (without any gaps between them) is pretty good IMO.

As for the "taller" factor, there are 3 buildings above 200 meters tall in this image (two to the far right and 1 at the far left). Duke Energy Center (far left tower) certainly has given Charlotte's skyline more "balance" from this angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It's been REALLY long time sense I've seen the Charlotte skyline in person, but I do remember the BoA being extremely tall. I would guess somewhere between 700 and 900 ft tall, correct?
871 ft from floor to the top of the crown I believe.

Last edited by JMT; 07-29-2012 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'd say wider/taller in person (however that depends on one's personal definition of "wider/taller").
I was asking because you see pictures of a lot of skylines that look so massive and/or tall and then you see them in person and you're like "that's it?". Some look stubby and short in photos, but take your breath away in person.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Yea they are both awesome skylines. Waiting for San Antonio's skyscraper construction boom.
Do you think SA will ever have a skyscraper boom, its downtown looks like Fort Wayne for a city of 1.5 million proper

Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I was asking because you see pictures of a lot of skylines that look so massive and/or tall and then you see them in person and you're like "that's it?". Some look stubby and short in photos, but take your breath away in person.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I am a trucker that has seen every major US city quite a few times (in person). It amazes me how some cities look on the internet vs how they look in person. IMO, it is all about the angle and one's personal expectations of certain cities.

In the case of Charlotte, most "normal folks" don't expect to see a possible top 20 US skyline in the middle of the Carolinas. Let's face it, most "normal folks" think Miami and Atlanta are the only "cities" in the South East. So when these folks make their way down I-77 and see uptown Charlotte for the first time, they are usually shocked.

Also, Charlotte's downtown area is "cocked" clockwise. In other words, "south" is actually southwest and "north" is actually northeast. I-77 (the main freeway into uptown) is not "cocked". Therefore, when one sees Charlotte's skyline from the freeway, they are looking at the longest and most dense angle (a good angle). I hope this makes sense.

Another factor for Charlotte is the fact that every building can not be seen at the same time. The skyline is so dense that buildings often hide other buildings in photos. If you ever saw the skyline in person (as a passenger in a vehicle), you would see hidden buildings move in and out of view as you passed by. This is the same with any dense skyline so Charlotte is not special at all in this department.

My guess is that you would appreciate Charlotte's skyline more in person than you would on the internet (especially if you are looking at it from a moving vehicle). Some angles make the skyline look really small while others make it look "big city-ish".

Old 02-07-2010, 12:00 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Those sure were some Old pics Of Charlotte Skyline I think Charlotte is alot better plus with sports venues and light rail.

Those are some good pictures! Man look at the traffic (or lack thereof) on the highway! I would kill for traffic like that.

Anyway I give an ever so slight edge to Charlotte but I was really shocked by how far Austin has come. Kudos to them for turning what was a dismal skyline into something great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City