Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best up and coming DT?
Atlanta 19 14.50%
Dallas 11 8.40%
Houston 9 6.87%
Denver 10 7.63%
San Diego 5 3.82%
Pittsburgh 3 2.29%
Baltimore 5 3.82%
Miami 3 2.29%
Mineapolis 6 4.58%
Sacramento 2 1.53%
Milwaukee 2 1.53%
Indianapolis 1 0.76%
Cleveland 2 1.53%
Columbus 2 1.53%
Cinncinatti 1 0.76%
St. Louis 7 5.34%
KC 1 0.76%
LA 15 11.45%
Phoenix 4 3.05%
Tampa 1 0.76%
Orlando 3 2.29%
Charlotte 9 6.87%
Austin 5 3.82%
Las Vegas 2 1.53%
Nashville 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times

Advertisements

Thanks! From what I gathered, most of those are still plans and have yet to break ground. Even still, looking at the amount of units, downtown L.A. is going to need way more than that to compete with the cities ahead of it. An example of this would be to count the amount of units in the pipeline for the L.A. core right now listed on that website. It's really not that many. I think L.A. will continue to get better, however, Boston, Philly, and San Fran probably have about the same amount of units as L.A. in their pipeline. Downtown D.C. has more housing units currently under construction than downtown L.A. has in its entire pipeline, so there is no need to use it for a comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Could you post how many projects are moving in downtown L.A.? I thought it was just a handful like 8-10 projects etc. I'm sure L.A. is building and I have seen many of the projects, however, D.C. is in a different league in downtown core construction right now so it would be apples and oranges to compare them. I wonder if L.A. is building more than Boston though? That is the only city I could see L.A. passing but only if Boston isn't really building in downtown.
No it is probably closer to 80 than 8... But really, there are at least a few dozen really huge projects going on. It seems like the most active area is around 8th and Grand and expanding outwards through South Park and the Financial District, but Bunker Hill has had some pretty decent action as well. Other areas seeing action include the Historic Core, Fashion District, Little Tokyo and the Arts District.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=207723

This shows 19 projects currently under construction, and a few that are listed as Approved are U/C - so the list is closer to 24. Not sure how it compares as far as residential units that are U/C, maybe not that great as mentioned above. One other thing is these don't include Adaptive Reuse projects, which are a huge part of the sea-change DTLA has experienced.

Los Angeles is definitely building more than Boston - this is pretty logical because DTLA has so many more empty lots and low-intensity uses than Boston has - it is easier and there are more opportunities for development. Seems like most of Boston's work is at the harbor area and Back Bay. They were building a high-rise near Water Street when I worked in the Harbor area, it is pretty impressive how much that area has changed.

As far as what cities can DTLA pass, it could pass them all if it ever was built out like this: What Happens if 4.3 Million People Are Crammed in Downtown? - Video Interlude - Curbed LA

Or similar to the way DTLA looks in the trailer for that new movie Her: Her TRAILER 1 (2013) - Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson Movie HD - YouTube

But really it will just be a tie between the bottom half of the top 5 I think, no city gets "bumped".

Last edited by munchitup; 11-25-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 04:23 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Why compare DTLA to these smaller cities. Compare it to NYC, Chicago, DC, Philly, etc
Because I don't like to compare LA to East Coast cities. The layout of Los Angeles is unlike any East Coast city so it would be wrong for me personally to say that somehow LA will be like NYC, Philly, Chicago,or DC. Plus, I thought we were comparing up-and-coming downtowns and not already established ones. LA may not ever have a DT that is as important to its city as those cities you've mentioned. I think what LA is trying to do is have "Downtowns" for West LA, Central LA, The Valley, & the Eastside so we become almost like the US version of Tokyo or London but with more elbow room and sunshine. DTLA is becoming a behemoth and may end up as one of the most attractive DT's in the US, and one of the best neighborhoods in LA, but Hollywood, Santa Monica, Koreatown, Westwood, Warner Center, Culver City, Beverly Hills, Long Beach will all have their niche.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM

242 posts, read 368,921 times
Top Emerging Downtowns are...
Denver, Des Moines, Detroit, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and Cleveland
Grand Rapids lands on Forbes list of 15 U.S. cities with 'emerging downtowns' | MLive.com

Old 11-25-2013, 05:00 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No it is probably closer to 80 than 8... But really, there are at least a few dozen really huge projects going on. It seems like the most active area is around 8th and Grand and expanding outwards through South Park and the Financial District, but Bunker Hill has had some pretty decent action as well. Other areas seeing action include the Historic Core, Fashion District, Little Tokyo and the Arts District.

LOS ANGELES | Central City Project Rundown 5.0 - SkyscraperPage Forum

This shows 19 projects currently under construction, and a few that are listed as Approved are U/C - so the list is closer to 24. Not sure how it compares as far as residential units that are U/C, maybe not that great as mentioned above. One other thing is these don't include Adaptive Reuse projects, which are a huge part of the sea-change DTLA has experienced.

Los Angeles is definitely building more than Boston - this is pretty logical because DTLA has so many more empty lots and low-intensity uses than Boston has - it is easier and there are more opportunities for development. Seems like most of Boston's work is at the harbor area and Back Bay. They were building a high-rise near Water Street when I worked in the Harbor area, it is pretty impressive how much that area has changed.

As far as what cities can DTLA pass, it could pass them all if it ever was built out like this: What Happens if 4.3 Million People Are Crammed in Downtown? - Video Interlude - Curbed LA

Or similar to the way DTLA looks in the trailer for that new movie Her:
Her TRAILER 1 (2013) - Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson Movie HD - YouTube

But really it will just be a tie between the bottom half of the top 5 I think, no city gets "bumped".
I think in 2020, Downtown DC will be third and will challenge Chicago at full buildout. Most of the new downtown neighborhoods will have between a 60,000-80,000 people per square mile density.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:14 PM

165 posts, read 206,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
I agree about Portland, but Seattle is dense and urban enough, atleast by U.S. standards.
It's crazy about the building in Seattle.
More cranes than i have ever seen in this city, ever.
Seattle - SkyscraperCity

Old 11-25-2013, 08:29 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Donut View Post
It's crazy about the building in Seattle.
More cranes than i have ever seen in this city, ever.
Seattle - SkyscraperCity
Seattle is undergoing more construction than any other city save for NYC/Chicago. As much as people are glorifying the construction in DTLA, Seattle blows it out of the water right now. Cranes towering the sky everywhere. I would know, I just moved up here from LA.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So which city do you think downtown L.A. can pass? D.C. is building more in it's core than any of the big 6 downtown's in the country by a 3:1 margin including L.A. Also, Philly, NYC, San Fran, and Chicago have a considerable lead on L.A. Boston would be the only city I could see L.A. catching but they are building too. Is L.A. building 2:1 against NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Philly, or Boston that they would be able to close the gap? Remember, it's not like the big 6 downtowns are just standing still while L.A. improves. They are all improving and that would be an understatement for D.C. which I'm sure you already know. Which downtown do you think L.A. could catch?
I don't think it'll be able to catch the top 5 for a bit--best it can try for is maybe Philly/SF/Boston but definitely no guarantee it'll reach any of them anytime soon. It'll be the closest of all the cities that aren't top 5. LA in the 6th spot seems likely. The defining thing about LA right now is the pace at which downtown LA has been and is continuing to change. It's an incredible splurge of pent up demand and a lot, and I mean a lot, of foreign investment. As in enough to actually have a foreign airline carrier come in and make a supertall and feel like that's a good investment.

Not familiar with a big 6. There's NYC, Chicago, SF, Philly, Boston. That counts five to me unless you're splitting NYC with midtown and downtown which is reasonable, but in which case Brooklyn should be in the running, too.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-25-2013 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle is undergoing more construction than any other city save for NYC/Chicago. As much as people are glorifying the construction in DTLA, Seattle blows it out of the water right now. Cranes towering the sky everywhere. I would know, I just moved up here from LA.
Wrong. Building Boom Cities: The Metro Areas With The Most New Construction - Forbes

Top 5 are NYC, Houston, Dallas, D.C., and Atlanta for new construction in 2013 by U.S. dollars. Just because you see a lot of construction in your own city doesn't mean that you're the only city with a lot of new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City