Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best up and coming DT?
Atlanta 19 14.50%
Dallas 11 8.40%
Houston 9 6.87%
Denver 10 7.63%
San Diego 5 3.82%
Pittsburgh 3 2.29%
Baltimore 5 3.82%
Miami 3 2.29%
Mineapolis 6 4.58%
Sacramento 2 1.53%
Milwaukee 2 1.53%
Indianapolis 1 0.76%
Cleveland 2 1.53%
Columbus 2 1.53%
Cinncinatti 1 0.76%
St. Louis 7 5.34%
KC 1 0.76%
LA 15 11.45%
Phoenix 4 3.05%
Tampa 1 0.76%
Orlando 3 2.29%
Charlotte 9 6.87%
Austin 5 3.82%
Las Vegas 2 1.53%
Nashville 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 AM

274 posts, read 706,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Wrong. Building Boom Cities: The Metro Areas With The Most New Construction - Forbes

Top 5 are NYC, Houston, Dallas, D.C., and Atlanta for new construction in 2013 by U.S. dollars. Just because you see a lot of construction in your own city doesn't mean that you're the only city with a lot of new construction.
That list is by MSA. I have no doubt that many of the large sunbelt cities have more construction underway throughout the metro. I think he was specifically referring to construction within the context of this thread (downtown/core). Seattle has around 6000 units under construction (note, not PROPOSED, not APPROVED, and not part of a VISION but shovels in the ground) downtown, and about 6000 under construction in the other "urban villages" (the city's term) around the city. I think there's somewhere around 3 or 4 million square feet of office space under construction downtown. I'd be curious if anyone had some equivalent numbers for some of the other cities mentioned here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 01:52 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I would agree up until now, D.C.'s downtown is adding Tiffany's, Gucci, Burberry, Bloomingdales etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
How exciting! Where is Bloomingdale's Downtown Washington DC store going to be located?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Wrong. Building Boom Cities: The Metro Areas With The Most New Construction - Forbes

Top 5 are NYC, Houston, Dallas, D.C., and Atlanta for new construction in 2013 by U.S. dollars. Just because you see a lot of construction in your own city doesn't mean that you're the only city with a lot of new construction.
And just because your city has high costing projects doesn't either.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:11 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times
Quote:
I would agree up until now, D.C.'s downtown is adding Tiffany's, Gucci, Burberry, Bloomingdales etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. That's actually the biggest thing D.C.'s downtown was missing so I would agree until now. D.C.'s downtown is going to be up there with the top cities for shopping now.
Tiffany's and Gucci are going into the Trump Hotel, and Bloomingdale's is going to Georgetown, right?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Tiffany's and Gucci are going into the Trump Hotel, and Bloomingdale's is going to Georgetown, right?
Really?

So I looked it up and the only stores they have planned to open between this month and 2015 is Glendale, CA and Honolulu...
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/about/newstores.jsp

I couldn't find any mention of a DC store here either...
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/about/...ess/index.ognc

Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There is absolutely no way in 2013 I would put DC ahead of Boston overall for downtown given that the OP was talking about mixed used downtowns. Probably LA and DC at a distant 6th. DC's just not going to have the kind of attraction for foreign investors that LA has. I think 2020 is too soon for most of the rankings to change very much, but even then it'd all be roughly the same tier and obviously behind NYC by a long shot.
DC has a great advantage in that a lot of the population lives within a mile of downtown. So, while DC's downtown isn't highly residential, the extended downtown is. And people have access to the museums, restaurants, etc. I would rank Boston higher right now, but I would rank DC's downtown over LA. That last opinion is not really mine (I don't know LA well enough), but my roommate's, who is from LA.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:47 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Look at MDAllstar's comment. Guess what 4 of those Top 5 cities have in common? They have sprawling city boundaries. With boundary lines sprawling out that wide, you're obviously going to encapsulate a larger amount of construction.

NYC = 302 sq. miles
Houston = 599 sq. miles
Dallas = 340 sq. miles
Atlanta = 131 sq. miles
Seattle = 81 sq. miles
D.C. = 61 sq. miles
These are by MSA, not city limits. Seattle may still be smaller than the others, but it should be pointed out city limits have nothing to do with this.

Of course at the same time (and it's been pointed out), this is about downtowns so this list is pretty meaningless as well. Would be cool if someone was able to gather the residential units U/C, office space U/C, hotel / retail space U/C in various major downtowns around the United States and make a definitive list. So many downtowns are booming right now I think it is easy to assume your city is leading the pack, when in fact there are a dozen or more cities with very similar booms.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
How exciting! Where is Bloomingdale's Downtown Washington DC store going to be located?

The Bloomingdale's has not be publicly confirmed, but sources are saying it will go under the Conrad Hotel which is pretty much a done deal for City Center DC but also has not been confirmed to the public.

Conrad Hotel Resort
Hilton said to be in talks for CityCenterDC hotel - Capital Business Blog - The Washington Post

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/breaking_ground/2013/11/details-emerge-of-citycenterdc-hotel.html

High-end hotels plan 1,800 new rooms in downtown D.C., shaking up the market - Washington Post

Donald Trump's new D.C. hotel is in talks with some pretty big names in retail as well
Donald Trump to open his first hotel in D.C.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:29 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
These are by MSA, not city limits. Seattle may still be smaller than the others, but it should be pointed out city limits have nothing to do with this.

Of course at the same time (and it's been pointed out), this is about downtowns so this list is pretty meaningless as well. Would be cool if someone was able to gather the residential units U/C, office space U/C, hotel / retail space U/C in various major downtowns around the United States and make a definitive list. So many downtowns are booming right now I think it is easy to assume your city is leading the pack, when in fact there are a dozen or more cities with very similar booms.
The first problem with that is it includes things that have nothing to do with improving the livability of a downtown like office building construction. Multi-family housing, restaurants, cultural attractions, and retail are the only things relevant in this discussion.

MSA construction is useless when discussing urbanity. Unless construction is concentrated in a one mile radius, it will not move the needle. If D.C.'s construction was not all around downtown or around metro station's in the suburbs, there would be no reason to talk about it. The fact that all of it is walking distance from each other is the reason this is significant. Also, the fact that it's basically 100% around metro lines in the suburbs puts D.C. into a different league for MSA's as well. Would you say almost all of the multi-family construction region wide in the other MSA's is around subway station's outside of D.C. and NYC?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
The Bloomingdale's has not be publicly confirmed, but sources are saying it will go under the Conrad Hotel which is pretty much a done deal for City Center DC but also has not been confirmed to the public.

Conrad Hotel Resort
Hilton said to be in talks for CityCenterDC hotel - Capital Business Blog - The Washington Post

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/breaking_ground/2013/11/details-emerge-of-citycenterdc-hotel.html

High-end hotels plan 1,800 new rooms in downtown D.C., shaking up the market - Washington Post

Donald Trump's new D.C. hotel is in talks with some pretty big names in retail as well
Donald Trump to open his first hotel in D.C.
Yeah, I wouldn't go on speculation alone about that as Bloomingdale's has no problem revealing where their new stores are going to open-they've already announced Honolulu and it's not slated to open until 2015, so it's not a huge secret.

Plus, there is already a Bloomingdale's a few miles away in Maryland, so market sustainability might be an issue as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City