Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most beautiful major US city?
Chicago 20 6.78%
Minneapolis 4 1.36%
Boston 7 2.37%
Portland, OR 0 0%
San Diego 13 4.41%
Seattle 41 13.90%
Los Angeles 17 5.76%
Philadelphia 8 2.71%
San Francisco 66 22.37%
Charlotte 6 2.03%
Nashville 7 2.37%
Atlanta 12 4.07%
Denver 15 5.08%
Phoenix 7 2.37%
Louisville 1 0.34%
New Orleans 5 1.69%
Houston 2 0.68%
Miami 9 3.05%
Salt Lake City 6 2.03%
Baltimore 2 0.68%
Honolulu 18 6.10%
Austin 1 0.34%
Baltimore 0 0%
Dallas 7 2.37%
Other (please specify 21 7.12%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 PM

902 posts, read 2,787,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
A lot of cities with truly gorgeous parts also have really ugly parts. These include Philly, New York, Miami, and especially San Francisco.

Seattle is too architecturally mundane with the housing stock; parts of it just look like suburbia. Honolulu looks like suburbia in some magical fairyland, which is why I voted for it.

I just realized, though, that this list is missing Pittsburgh. That would have been my choice had it been present. Beautiful architecture AND natural beauty, with seemingly few ho-hum spots.
Could you further explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
NYC isn't a major city? I don't see it on the list.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
NYC isn't a major city? I don't see it on the list.
Baltimore is so great, it took its place. See? There are two Baltimores, one of which replaced New York's Position

Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,462 times
No St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh? These three historical river cities have some of the best architecture in the country.....hands down. Not too many cities have as many Victorian neighborhoods as these towns, hell most of these cities housing is 100 years old atleast. Very picturesque indeed.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Could you further explain?
Yeah please explain,San Francisco definitely has it's ugly parts but not quite like NY,MIA or Philly do,and I grew up in probably the "ugliest" part of the city,HP.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,151 times
Out of the "major US cities", which is really the top 10, SF gets my vote. It really is breathtaking to see all the sweeping views of the bay from so many different angles. Boston would be a distant second.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder77 View Post
Really? I cannot find much that is "stunning" about Chicago except for the area immediately surrounding the Chicago River which has a kind of "corporate" beauty about it I guess.

But still, Chicago has lots and lots and LOTS of grids for buildings. Flat boring landscape surrounds you in Chicago. It's in Illinois still right? Freezing, crappy weather much of the year in Chicago. Winter-washed and rusty burned out buildings around Chicago. Dirty run down neighborhoods mix and mingle with the nicer hot spot 'hoods. Kinda smelly in Chicago, like poo poo and exhaust. This detracts from the "beauty". Strip malls galore away from the core of the city. Oodles of chain restaurants.

Chicago is probably the least beautiful of the large cities, and that includes L.A. Landscape and weather give L.A. a huge advantage, even though L.A. is one big suburb.

I know that your probably just trying to get a rise out of Chicagoans...but either way its a good time to show off Chicago's beauty. While it doesn't have some of the stunning natural beauty of areas like SF, Seattle, or San Diego...it does have quite a bit of charm and more than makes up for the disparity with its great architecture.

Do I think its the most beautiful city in the country? No. But I'd put it neck and neck with LA out of the big 3 simply for its architecture. LA's natural scenery is breathtaking though.

Hope everybody is having a great weekend.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder77 View Post
Really? I cannot find much that is "stunning" about Chicago except for the area immediately surrounding the Chicago River which has a kind of "corporate" beauty about it I guess.

But still, Chicago has lots and lots and LOTS of grids for buildings. Flat boring landscape surrounds you in Chicago. It's in Illinois still right? Freezing, crappy weather much of the year in Chicago. Winter-washed and rusty burned out buildings around Chicago. Dirty run down neighborhoods mix and mingle with the nicer hot spot 'hoods. Kinda smelly in Chicago, like poo poo and exhaust. This detracts from the "beauty". Strip malls galore away from the core of the city. Oodles of chain restaurants.
I agree.

History of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Due to the geography of Chicago, early citizens faced many problems. The prairie bog nature of the area provided a fertile ground for disease-carrying insects."
"The first road went west, crossing the dismal Nine-mile Swamp"

Swamp to City (http://www.chicagohistoryfair.org/curriculum/swamp-to-city.html - broken link)
"Swamp to City: Chicago History from the Portage Site to Metropolis"

I just find this really humorous. These early beginnings sure sound familiar, kind of like a few other cities bashed so often here on City-Data (Houston anyone?)

As for the negative comments on San Francisco, I must have been in the good parts when I was there because I thought it was lovely.

I do really like Chicago, but in no way is it more beautiful than San Francisco.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:53 AM

196 posts, read 458,011 times
Seattle

Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I agree.

History of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Due to the geography of Chicago, early citizens faced many problems. The prairie bog nature of the area provided a fertile ground for disease-carrying insects."
"The first road went west, crossing the dismal Nine-mile Swamp"

Swamp to City (http://www.chicagohistoryfair.org/curriculum/swamp-to-city.html - broken link)
"Swamp to City: Chicago History from the Portage Site to Metropolis"

I just find this really humorous. These early beginnings sure sound familiar, kind of like a few other cities bashed so often here on City-Data (Houston anyone?)

As for the negative comments on San Francisco, I must have been in the good parts when I was there because I thought it was lovely.

I do really like Chicago, but in no way is it more beautiful than San Francisco.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City