Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
shape wise, texas is the most recognizable state. no other state on the map draws as much attention
I don't think people outside the U.S. recognize Texas other than the stereotype of a cowboy. They might know Texas by old western movies but otherwise it is not well-known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't think people outside the U.S. recognize Texas other than the stereotype of a cowboy. They might know Texas by old western movies but otherwise it is not well-known.
that's odd. the times i've been outside the country, most people seemed to know exactly where texas was...hmmmm

but i'm sure you're going to suggest everyone knows about california, right?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,159 times
Texas and Florida probally the most recognizable States

Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
you need to poll more ppl then.

and no one is saying that ny is the best state. lol @ the inferiority complex showing.

if you don't think ny (really just the city but the state because of the city IMHO) is the most recognizable area of the country then you need to travel more.

ppl outside of america don't know about most of america, period. the only places they really recognize or know a little about are places such as ny, dc, los angeles...etc. because that is what they hear in music and see on tv.

nyc is popular because of history, music, the economy, etc.
no one is saying that its better.

but things such as:

record labels being based in nyc
wall street
9/11
ny yankees
the fashion industry
statue of liberty
brooklyn bridge
empire state building
times sq
34th st
5th ave
central park
etc.

are recognized. the fact that ppl from around the country and the world...the fact that they are able to name streets here without having ever stepped foot here should say a lot.

i'm sure that everyone is familiar with 5th ave?? times sq? wall st?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
how does a state's shape make someone identify with it? Every state has a distinct shape, unless it's Colorado or Wyoming which are both rectangles. If you passed 4th grade geograghy you should be able to locate each state on a map.

When I was abroad (lived in Italy), I always said New England first, and when that was confused with the old one (only sometimes), I then said Massachusetts. Most people in Europe/Middle East understood that. I never said Boston because I'm not from there.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but i'm sure you're going to suggest everyone knows about california, right?
It is the most well known US state in the world,not trying to sound superior or anything but that's the truth,some Europeans (which is what most people on here consider "the rest of the world") and other well educated peoples of other countries know many different if not all the states but on a scale of most common even in highly uncommon places,California will ring a bell before say Texas or Rhode Island or Nebraska,so on,so forth. New York is 2nd (or tied) by name recognition thanks to NYC.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
It is the most well known US state in the world,not trying to sound superior or anything but that's the truth,some Europeans (which is what most people on here consider "the rest of the world") and other well educated peoples of other countries know many different if not all the states but on a scale of most common even in highly uncommon places,California will ring a bell before say Texas or Rhode Island or Nebraska,so on,so forth.
i'm sure california is more well known, but i doubt texas is that far behind in notoriety. it may not be known for the right reasons (lol), but i'm certain the name is known worldwide

but i don't think most foreigners really KNOW our states. even myself, as an educated american, couldn't tell you much about california. so why should the average european be able to?

Quote:
New York is 2nd (or tied) by name recognition thanks to NYC.
yeah, but see, knowing the largest city isn't knowing the state

Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
I've always identified myself as being from Chicago; I've never had any concept of being from a state. Illinois is a strange place I am completely unfamiliar with.

On my expat assignments, that's how I've always identified myself In fact, Chicago, NYC and LA are really the only parts of the country I've considered to be home.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Texas and Florida probally the most recognizable States
But you are referring to the shape of the two states. For Americans, you are correct; any kid in school can pick out Texas & Florida because of their unique shape on a map. But people outside the U.S. are much less inclined to know the shape of our states. I meant, name recognition. My opinion is that non-Americans have heard of Texas but mainly from what they've seen in movies [i.e. wild West\ Alamo\ long horn cattle, etc].

Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
here we go again with the certain NY'ers who think NY is better than any other state..

No state is the most recognizable state in the whole U.S. It just depends on the person.
http://www.siena.edu/uploadedfiles/h...10_Release.pdf

Here is a poll conducted that shows that most NY'ers are "embarrassed" to call themselves NY'ers these days.

Those politicians up there are ruining that state unfortunately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City